Over tourqed main Girdle bolts 😭 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

What's up guys I've spent all night up reading about what I could have possibly done and paranoid myself as much as possible from when I accidentally over torqued 1 or 2 of my main girdle bolts on my d16y8 brand new build.

I should be very precise with this but I can't remember because I did it a few months ago, engine is still on the stand being built.

As I said I can't remember if it was one or two bolts but one snapped and that's how I immediately knew that something was wrong with the torque spec that I read... after better examination I realized I had over torqued by like 30 ft lbs. Slipped up while reading the manual and made a rookie mistake out of excitement...

I have already ordered 8 new girdle bolts and 2 of the slightly longer girdle bolts new as well. So I'm not asking about bolt stretch at all here...because I'm replacing them all, what I'm wondering is if I could have potentially mashed my main bearing in anyway? Let me remind you its a two step torque process and I had already completed the first step fully in tourqe sequence..If there is anyway possible I could have damaged the main bearing then while I am here I'm going to just replace them but I put myself in quite the predicament because I already have the pistons in and head fully attached. Seems like I would be in one hell of a juggling match un-attaching the rods from the crank while making sure they don't slide down into a unreturnable point in the cylinders so that I can take out the crank while keeping the pistons in and change out the potentially damaged main bearings.... halpppp

what do i do? could the bearing be slightly squished which could cause unregular wear? Damage to my crank? could my 30 ft lbs over tourqe have damaged my girdle?

want this motor to last a long time so I've paranoid myself pretty go with this on.

Last edited by theneedfor5spds; 05-25-2018 at 06:45 PM.
theneedfor5spds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

First order of business is obviously getting that broken bolt out. With those torque specs, you’re probably gonna have to drill it out.

Over tightening the bolts will affect the bearing clearances but I’m not sure if it would actually smash the bearing to the point of damaging it. You can easily check with plastigage once you get the new bolts and use the correct torque specs.

Highly doubt you did any damage to the girdle. If the main clearances are within spec with the plastigage, I’d run it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

There is a micrometer for measuring bearing shell thickness but its not likely something you would have.Placing a small ball bearing on both sides of mike held on with grease or something will allow you to measure around the bearing to see if its mashed.Not likely .Measuring the main bore ID to make sure its stll round is prbably more important.
saefifty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in