Big End Question/s - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Pete578's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 2 Pete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Big End Question/s

First post, so some intro.
Old skool mechanic, (prefer carby engines ).

Was given a 1989 Honda Civic, was sitting in yard for over 5 years.

Started well, went well for about 3 weeks. Went on long trip, did not miss a beat. 135 original kilometers, everything works. ( except the radio).

Brief histroy of previous owner, a father bought for his son to go to uni, but he thrashed it, underneat car on imspection it has been bottomed out.
Clutch was nearly on the way out, needed replacing.
Paid zilch for the car except tow truck to tow it home.
Has 4 brand new tyres, drives straight as an ace.
I am impresssed with this car, I want to keep it. ( project car in my retirement)

However, day afyer a 1000 Km trip, the next morning went to start it and it "grabbed", would not kick over.

Then it forcibly started with some clanking.

Eventually the motor "blew up" ( have pictures) Con Rod 3 snapped, pireced both sides of block, it still got me home.

Motor no longer repairable.

Got another motor, first time ever worked on these engines.

Stripped, re-bored, new pistons, rings, bearings etc etc etc.

----------------------------

First question,
What do you guys do to tension the big end bearings in regards to getting socket extensions inside between the main bearing "train".
3/4 inch drives don't seem to fit.

2. What tension is the Con Rods for that motor and can I use inch/lb instead of foot/lbs so to use 1/2 drive sockets instead ?
(1.5 twin carburetor, 1989 Civic)

Thanks
Pete578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
 
BeerDrinkin's Avatar
 
iTrader: (11)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South of Nashville
Posts: 4,825
Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Default

Question 1: 1/2 drive should be more than enough to tighten/loosen the girdle on the bearings

Question 2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Rods = 23 lb-ft
Main girdle = 18 lb-ft first step, 33 lb-ft second step, using a center-out tightening pattern.
And going from ft/lbs to inch/lbs is just multiply by 12. Or you can google it and they have a calculator that can change it to newton meters if you wanted if you wanted.

The question I have is how the hell are you a guest and not a member?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet
 
EFB055's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 439
Rep Power: 9 EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete578 View Post
First post, so some intro.
Old skool mechanic, (prefer carby engines ).

Was given a 1989 Honda Civic, was sitting in yard for over 5 years.

Started well, went well for about 3 weeks. Went on long trip, did not miss a beat. 135 original kilometers, everything works. ( except the radio).

Brief histroy of previous owner, a father bought for his son to go to uni, but he thrashed it, underneat car on imspection it has been bottomed out.
Clutch was nearly on the way out, needed replacing.
Paid zilch for the car except tow truck to tow it home.
Has 4 brand new tyres, drives straight as an ace.
I am impresssed with this car, I want to keep it. ( project car in my retirement)

However, day afyer a 1000 Km trip, the next morning went to start it and it "grabbed", would not kick over.

Then it forcibly started with some clanking.

Eventually the motor "blew up" ( have pictures) Con Rod 3 snapped, pireced both sides of block, it still got me home.

Motor no longer repairable.

Got another motor, first time ever worked on these engines.

Stripped, re-bored, new pistons, rings, bearings etc etc etc.

----------------------------

First question,
What do you guys do to tension the big end bearings in regards to getting socket extensions inside between the main bearing "train".
3/4 inch drives don't seem to fit.

2. What tension is the Con Rods for that motor and can I use inch/lb instead of foot/lbs so to use 1/2 drive sockets instead ?
(1.5 twin carburetor, 1989 Civic)

Thanks
If you're after a D series workshop manual with specs for rebuilds pm me your email and i can send it to you.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2018, 04:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
 
BeerDrinkin's Avatar
 
iTrader: (11)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South of Nashville
Posts: 4,825
Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Default

I don't think he can PM you... He's a guest lol.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover
 
Henry44's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 203
Rep Power: 7 Henry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
If you're after a D series workshop manual with specs for rebuilds pm me your email and i can send it to you.
If I pm you, can I get a copy of that?
Henry44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet
 
EFB055's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 439
Rep Power: 9 EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
I don't think he can PM you... He's a guest lol.
Ah. Incentive to sign up then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry44 View Post
If I pm you, can I get a copy of that?
Sure thing.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet
 
Sailor's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hampshire, England
Posts: 319
Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

Be prepared for an avalanche of requests!
__________________
Four Hondas: two working


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet
 
EFB055's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 439
Rep Power: 9 EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Be prepared for an avalanche of requests!
Bring it.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Pete578's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 2 Pete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
The question I have is how the hell are you a guest and not a member?
I singed up, posted, then was not able to log in, informed webmaster, now able to log in.

Quote:
And going from ft/lbs to inch/lbs is just multiply by 12. Or you can google it and they have a calculator that can change it to newton meters if you wanted if you wanted.
I googled and ended up here.
Pete578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Pete578's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 2 Pete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Rods = 23 lb-ft
Main girdle = 18 lb-ft first step, 33 lb-ft second step, using a center-out tightening pattern.
The girdle was tensioned by the machine shop, so that is all ok.
The rods, I found 2 answers in google, one was 23 and the other was 30
So it's 23.

That's cool, my old Warren and Brown torque wrench starts at 20.
Currently being re-calibrated at torque wrench repair shop cos it's been out of service for long time.
Pete578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Pete578's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 2 Pete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

EFB055

Done

Thanks
Pete578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Pete578's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 2 Pete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

had anothe r look at bootom of engine, yes I see it now, the tolls and socket can fit. Thought they couldn't, my wrong.


Thanks for the replies, much appreciated
Pete578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Pete578's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 95
Rep Power: 2 Pete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respectPete578  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

typos !!,

can't seem to find "edit" option.
Pete578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


iconAll times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:54 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.