Lots of Blue Smoke - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 Alexf2003 is learning the way of the DAlexf2003 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Alexf2003
Default Lots of Blue Smoke

Background of the vehicle, it was turbocharged about 10 years ago and i decided to build an engine for it. I built the engine, installed it in my car(with previously used turbocharger setup, started the engine ,broke it in with break in oil. 30 minutes at 2k rpm and the vehicle started smoking terribly. I drove the vehicle on the freeway and the smoke goes away when cruising. After coming to a stop, when accelerating vehicle starts smoking. I found the intercooler piping full of oil, I suspected the turbocharger. I replace the turbocharger with a brand new one, and the same thing, smokes and more oil in the intercooler piping. Exhaust is now also full of oil. I performed a compression test 190-190-200-210, I also performed a leakdown test and all 4 cylinders had about 5-7 psi of leakdown. I removed the turbocharger and put the factory header and exhaust, car still smokes. I put a borescope in each one of the cylinders and didnt see any oil on top of the pistons but it is hard to see, I also put the borescope down the intake manifold to see if there was any residual oil in the intake manifold and I didnt see any.

Anyone Have any Ideas? Sorry for the long post. Any help is greatly appreciated .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1992 Honda Civic SI D16Z6
1992 Honda Civic CX D16Z6
Alexf2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

spark plug tube seals? valve stem seals? pcv clogged?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

valve guides and valve stem seals shot.

verify via coasting down a long hill in low gear and burp the throttle at the bottom.

My car puffs a cloud after coasting downhill in gear, and tapping the throttle at bottom.

My car also stinks when pulling through the rpm range.

Why did you replace the turbo without actually checking to see if its bad? throwing money and parts is the wrong way to diagnose.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 Alexf2003 is learning the way of the DAlexf2003 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Alexf2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
valve guides and valve stem seals shot.

verify via coasting down a long hill in low gear and burp the throttle at the bottom.

My car puffs a cloud after coasting downhill in gear, and tapping the throttle at bottom.

My car also stinks when pulling through the rpm range.

Why did you replace the turbo without actually checking to see if its bad? throwing money and parts is the wrong way to diagnose.
I replaced the turbo because it was leaking oil into the intercooler piping and from the compressor wheel. Ive vented the valve cover and "black box" to the atmosphere i also tried pinching off the pcv hoses.
Alexf2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

My ZC is burning oil badly after I replaced the head with a freshly decked and cleaned. Gave the guy the head set and everything so he must have replaced the seals. I did the downhill coast and burp. Big ol' cloud of smoke. Could it really be the seals?
WiiFace100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Well if you don’t know if he replaced the seals then sure, it could be.

Could also be the valve guides

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Default Paterico

I could ask the guy, but don't they usually change the valve stem seals when they clean the valves and stuff? He painted the head so he must have taken the valve springs out. Maybe not the guides. He had me buy the head set for him. Wouldn't that come with seals?
(I'm pretty new to putting engines together just so you guys are aware)
I could have done more research and got more info from the guy. 😕
Old 05-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Yeah I mean you’d think the seals would have been changed but you never know.

If the guides are shot, it could still leak.

You can take the intake and exhaust manifold off and visually inspect the guides. Leaky guides would be pretty obvious to see on either side.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 05-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Will do thank you!
Old 06-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

how do i check in the guides and screwed?
any way to do it without removing head?
razkal1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Cylinder leakage test. If you take the valve cover and dipstick out, you can listen to see whether the hissing comes from the dipstick tube, which would indicate a ring issue, or from the head, which would indicate a guide issue.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 07-22-2018, 05:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiFace100 View Post
don't they usually change the valve stem seals when they clean the valves and stuff?
No. A cleaning doesn't include replacing anything unless otherwise specified. Unless they were replaced and installed incorrectly. From your symptoms, I have the exact problem and know for a fact it is my seals. I have replaced a couple and the problem lessened. I only need to find the time to replace cylinder #3 and 4. Lol
txdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiFace100 View Post
I could ask the guy, but don't they usually change the valve stem seals when they clean the valves and stuff? He painted the head so he must have taken the valve springs out. Maybe not the guides. He had me buy the head set for him. Wouldn't that come with seals?
(I'm pretty new to putting engines together just so you guys are aware)
I could have done more research and got more info from the guy. 😕
correct - a head set will have valve seals etc etc not guides. nobody will change unless you do complete rebuild.

seals are easy to do if you have the tools and knowledge. Just few more steps like doing a valve adjustment.
kenny6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in