Diy oil pan mods - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Diy oil pan mods

I'm probably gonna pick up an oil pan to weld in a drain and was thinking about adding some baffling. I know i just gotta test fit w a cardboard template and what not, but does anyone here have experience with oil control in a sideways oriented engine? Seems like the kind of work I'd do on a rwd would be pointless, aside from the lateral baffling id do. (Which would be minor given I don't hammer corners in muscle cars like I do my civic)
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Build walls around the sump with trap doors, you can buy the trap doors on summit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Searching for pics of that now, I was thinking of kinda exactly what the moroso pan looks like. (Now that I've seen it) I'm thinking if I drill the backside of the pan and then plug weld into the mild steel baffle it'll be easier to weld (oil contamination)

I'm assuming I can use the same location as the moroso pan but....are pickup locations standardized?

Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

It looks more or less like you surround the pickup with interior mounted hinges from blowes?
Old 04-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

You want the pickup as close to the floor of the sump as possible to reduce the chance of air getting to the pickup tube.

Are you just adding stuff to the stock pan or are you going to try and add a bigger sump?

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Just stock. But I'm like why not add some features if I have one off. I'm looking into diy scrapers atm
Old 04-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

I think you will get better results from modding the pan with baffles, D-series engines don't really need a scraper as much as a modded pan, scrapers "will" help but it will be negligible for what you are doing. Look up autocross oil pan setups and the like, you will see that the biggest problem with the stock pans is taking sharp turns and losing oil pressure.

Quote:
Old 04-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

What are the odds my jdm non vtec d15b doesn't use the same pickup as usdm z6? Was gonna use the milodon baffled pan as a model and keep it basic.

Also, w well worn clearances would I benefit from increasing oil volume the way I would on a tired domestic I wanted another 30k out of, or is that not a honda thing. I find info on increasing pressure max, and porting but it's not exactly an answer. Seems the honda thing is to port but I'm not sure how that equates to a numerical volume increase.... And at that point it's getting beyond what I'll probably be doing. Engine isn't coming out to do an oil drain
Old 04-11-2018, 07:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

The pickup tube is matched to the pan, so if the pan is the same than the pickup tube should be as well.

Get a kiddy pool and fill it with water and mess around with some baffles and what not and get an understanding of how that stuff is going to work, slosh the water around inside the thing, you could probably temporarily silicone something in place and test it out.

Porting an oil pump is never a bad idea, even if you just smooth the galleys and radius the inlet it will help with flow, I don't suggest shimming an oil pump as all it does is artificially increase pressure and not flow.

Quote:
Old 04-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Doesn't it just up where it stops making pressure when you do that anyway? We always used high volume for builds w loose clearances but have never chosen a high pressure pump.... not sure why really and again, thats all domestic. This turbo build is starting to spiral! (Theoretically)

I'm about to research the fine points of porting, but if it means more than 2 days of the car being down it might have to wait for building the spare. I'm gonna run a hot oil pressure test and see where I stand before I do anything turbo wise. I might be great who knows?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in