Quick cross hatching question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 ef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Quick cross hatching question

There are still cross hatch marks in the cylinders. Just wondering if, by these pictures, it looks like I need a hone. Going with 75mm vitaras.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ef89hatch28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

is it already bored to 75.5? if not, the answer is yes. if yes, a dingleberry hone wouldn't hurt to clean it up a bit
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 ef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enoughef89hatch28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
is it already bored to 75.5? if not, the answer is yes. if yes, a dingleberry hone wouldn't hurt to clean it up a bit
Still stock 75mm. I've never built a block for turbo. Always just turbo a stock motor but this time I'm shooting for 300whp. I can order 75.5 vitaras, was just hoping to avoid the cost of a bore. I'd rather spend the extra money than break something after 2 passes though.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

hit them with a dingleberry to help get some glaze and give it better grit for the new rings. and my bad, didn't see the 75mm part the first time
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2018, 03:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
hit them with a dingleberry to help get some glaze and give it better grit for the new rings. and my bad, didn't see the 75mm part the first time
Ok. My local shop wants $150 to hone. Its almost worth it just to clean the block real well but I'll try it myself first.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

That still looks pretty good (in what you've shown us anyways).

slo is right, hit it gently with a dingleberry (and wd-40 or marvel or whatever snake oil you want), and run it.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-SeriesFab View Post
That still looks pretty good (in what you've shown us anyways).

slo is right, hit it gently with a dingleberry (and wd-40 or marvel or whatever snake oil you want), and run it.
The car has 290k on it. The previous owner said the motor only has 120k but I obviously didn't believe that When he was saying it but it definitely doesn't like like a 290k motor.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 4 hondur is learning the way of the Dhondur is learning the way of the D

The one hundred and fifty bucks might be worth it to have a very experienced set of eyes look over the engine block, but isn't worth it for a hone.

Honing isnt any harder than properly putting together a rotating assembly, all you need is a power drill and the correct diameter hone. I used to sell tools, they're like twenty or thirty dollars iirc
hondur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Just don't overdo it
Old 03-29-2018, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 Louie will become famous soon enoughLouie will become famous soon enoughLouie will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Leave it as is or pay to go oversized.

Dingleberry hone is a quick way to ruin the bore surface finish of a modern engine. It is a bit old school and worked great back in the day when engines would only last 80-100k.

Most modern engines, including yours have a cross hatch and final surface finish designed to hold just the right amount of oil on the walls for lubrication and have the rings last much longer.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in