D16Y8 going for 400+ HP - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Talking D16Y8 going for 400+ HP

Hello, my name is jack

I just got a honda del sol with a D16Y8

https://imgur.com/gallery/oUAx4

My end goal will be 400+ HP But!

for now my goal will be 200HP on a Stock D16Y8 With a Ebay turbo.

*Note i know exactly this is about a Turbo build, Not about a Engine build

But i will rebuild the engine later so the stuff matters for now and then

Okay let's START!!!

So after Researching i found out that i will need:

- Turbo ( I have a Ebay turbo T25&internal wastegate&oil restrictor
- pipes
- turbo oil feed&return
- turbo water lines Feed&Return
- I have internal wastegate on my turbo so thats out of the picture
- Intercooler
- Blow off valve
- Turbo manifold
- ECU ( Ebay Turbo is set to 8 PSI People on forums say i can do without But high chance that i will blow my engine with no tune so lets buy 1 xD.

Will a piggyback do the job?

I want to use a Piggyback system (Cheaper than full stand alone)
The name is Ecumaster Digital ECU Tuner 3 piggyback, For more info u can ask me i will post the specs

- Injectors! i Heard dsm 450 injectos will do the trick?
- Fuel regulator ? Necessary ?
- Fuel pump upgrade?

I think this is all i need for a turbo build, i also think the Fuel regulator& fuel pump are only necessary when i go 230+ HP

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Let's talk about future plans!

I Want to build a Honda Del Sol D16Y8 with 8000-8400RPM

With turbo T25 on 15PSI (when its all done i may want to upgrade the turbo becas the t25 will stop with boost around at 5500RPM due to it size.

i'm shooting for 400+ HP

But my feelings says i buy parts for a 600+ Build xD

Let's Find out, From top to low engine components

-Block Guard / i heard this only will make the cylinder walls out of shape, you're thoughts ?

HEAD:

ARP HEAD STUDS

Valve lock - Ferrea Valve Lock Steel
Ferrea Valve Lock Steel Honda Civic,CRX,Del Sol,Integra | FULLCARTUNING

Valve Seals Skunk2 Valve Guide Seals Viton 5.5MMSkunk2 Viton Valve Guide Seals 5.5MM Honda Accord,Prelude | FULLCARTUNING

Valves - Skunk2 alpha valve -

Valve springs+Retainers -Skunk2 Valve Springs Set & TI Retainer:
http://fullcartuning.com/57185-skunk...ic-crx-del-sol

Camshaft:

i wanted to go for Skunk2 Tuners series
Skunk2 Tuner-Series Nokkenassen Honda Civic,CRX,Del Sol,Shuttle | FULLCARTUNING (expensive)

Will "Blox Racing camshaft stage 2 do the trick? Blox Racing Nokkenassen Stage 2 Honda Civic,Del Sol | FULLCARTUNING

Lower parts:

Pistons: CP Pistons Performance Pistons 75mm Civic,Del Solhttp://fullcartuning.com/cp-pistons-performance-pistons-75mm-civic-del-sol-20997

Piston rings: Hastings Piston Rings 75mm Hastings Performance Piston Rings Honda Civic,Del Sol | FULLCARTUNING

Rods: Skunk2 Alpha Rods [URL="http://fullcartuning.com/57115-skunk2-alpha-rods-d16-zc-alpha-honda-civic-crx-del-sol"]

ARP Performance Rod Bolts : http://fullcartuning.com/arp-perform...ic-crx-del-sol

Crankshaft- Fullcartuning dont sell them! so stock or have to find 1.

I don't include the clutch ect ect.

because we talking about the engine.

I Hope i did not forget to mention something?
And i'm really curious about you're thoughts!

Thanks for all the help already!
jack-armando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Send a message via Yahoo to ls_bcrr29

If you are shooting for 400 Id suggest you do it right the first time. CSS is a good alternative to sleeping your block. Ebay Turbos are ok but not dependable, and if you are eventually going for 600hp Id get a better engine management system.
ls_bcrr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls_bcrr29 View Post
If you are shooting for 400 I’d suggest you do it right the first time. CSS is a good alternative to sleeping your block. Ebay Turbos are ok but not dependable, and if you are eventually going for 600hp I’d get a better engine management system.
Hey ! Thanks for the information.

after a though i will sleeve the block, any more suggestions what is smart for the 400+ hp build?

when the moment comes that i will go above 400HP i will change the Ecu to a stand alone, piggyback won't do the job at 600+ is my guess.
and the turbo for a better quality one. ebay is just junk, but i was like better get the engine ready before going higher than 200+HP, budget boost aswell hope it keeps up!

Last edited by jack-armando; 01-14-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Budget as much for the transmission as for the complete engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 02:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 Kevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like Borat

Did you just bought this Sol, because I saw him on Autoscout24? I think you first have to read a lot on Honda forums. I can see on your parts list and questions that you are new in this world.
Kevinio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Budget as much for the transmission as for the complete engine.
Thanks for the advice, will follow!
Old 01-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinio View Post
Did you just bought this Sol, because I saw him on Autoscout24? I think you first have to read a lot on Honda forums. I can see on your parts list and questions that you are new in this world.
i just brought it indeed, autoscout its still for sale there from the old owner.

i have been visiting alot of forums also before the brought, most of them about engine build ups for the d16 and also allot for the turbo install

only things i have to learn some more from is:

- fuel management( Won't tune it myself )
- and about the fuel needed for the build don't want to run lean

but i will do some more research about this.

but the engine internals they are oke to shoot for 400+ HP right?

i mean most parts are from skunk2 so far as i know this brand is really doing well in the honda community.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 Kevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like Borat

For fuel management you can use eCtune, Hondata V300 and Neptune in the Netherlands. Just use 98 or 102 Ron, unfortunatly E85 is not available anymore.

No, you will need to sleeve your block around 400HP. My goal is 350HP, with a Golden Eagle blockguard. The time a build my short block CSS was not such a hype as now.

Forget Skunk2 for SOHCs, there's much better stuff available.
Kevinio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2018, 06:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

why would you need to sleeve the block for 400hp?

speedfactory made 600hp with stock sleeves and no block guard/css.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

@Civicdxude

I heard Block guards "CAN" bent you're engine when installed, so basically *i have read* that u will have to re-bore them.

i wanted to block guard it as well because of the high RPM's i want to run, but this info about bending&making you're pistons get stuck made me doubt my decision.

@Keivnio

Thanks for the fuel information will look in to that! i probably will use 98 and find me a nice Hondata v300
Old 01-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinio View Post
For fuel management you can use eCtune, Hondata V300 and Neptune in the Netherlands. Just use 98 or 102 Ron, unfortunatly E85 is not available anymore.

No, you will need to sleeve your block around 400HP. My goal is 350HP, with a Golden Eagle blockguard. The time a build my short block CSS was not such a hype as now.

Forget Skunk2 for SOHCs, there's much better stuff available.
for the pistons i can only find

CP Pistons, i never heard of this brand so i guess that's gonna be a import for me haha any recommended brand's.

Probably gonna lower the Compression rate to get higher boost.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Hey Jack,

I sold my turbo del sol last year. My goals were 200whp/180wtq w/ac on stock d16z6 motor. I accomplished that with the following:

Greddy turbo kit for D16z6: hybrid greddy turbo with t25 compressor housing (turbo was oil and water cooled), greddy turbo manifold, greddy cast elbow, 2.5” kteller downpipe upgrade with flex section, trust front mount intercooler option, greddy chargepipes, greddy type s bov, 2.5 inch ebay exhaust piping, greddy evo 2 muffler, 2.5 inch high flow cat

Fuel: balanced and flow benched rc 440 fuel injectors, walbro 255 lph fuel pump

Electronics/Tuning: p06 vtec converted chipped ecu (7k redline, 7.3k fuel cut, 10psi boost cut), dyno tuned locally on crome pro

Turbo accessories: blox mbc, oil feed line with built in oil restrictor, -10an press fitted oil drain line, welded oil drain bung, greddy oil sandwich adapter, greddy catch can

Transmission: d16y8 trans with an ebay xtd 6 puck sprung clutch and a 10lb flywheel

Hope this helps!

To answer your question about getting away with a piggy back..Of course you coudl get away with it. However, finding an experienced local tuner to dial your setup will be the best investment in my opinion.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 02-09-2018 at 03:11 PM.
rmdolatre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2018, 10:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-armando View Post
for the pistons i can only find

CP Pistons, i never heard of this brand so i guess that's gonna be a import for me haha any recommended brand's.

Probably gonna lower the Compression rate to get higher boost.

Speed factory has some good stuff check them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marrufo_alonso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

CP makes good pistons.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdolatre View Post
Hey Jack,

I sold my turbo del sol last year. My goals were 200whp/180wtq w/ac on stock d16z6 motor. I accomplished that with the following:

Greddy turbo kit for D16z6: hybrid greddy turbo with t25 compressor housing (turbo was oil and water cooled), greddy turbo manifold, greddy cast elbow, 2.5 kteller downpipe upgrade with flex section, trust front mount intercooler option, greddy chargepipes, greddy type s bov, 2.5 inch ebay exhaust piping, greddy evo 2 muffler, 2.5 inch high flow cat

Fuel: balanced and flow benched rc 440 fuel injectors, walbro 255 lph fuel pump

Electronics/Tuning: p06 vtec converted chipped ecu (7k redline, 7.3k fuel cut, 10psi boost cut), dyno tuned locally on crome pro

Turbo accessories: blox mbc, oil feed line with built in oil restrictor, -10an press fitted oil drain line, welded oil drain bung, greddy oil sandwich adapter, greddy catch can

Transmission: d16y8 trans with an ebay xtd 6 puck sprung clutch and a 10lb flywheel

Hope this helps!

To answer your question about getting away with a piggy back..Of course you coudl get away with it. However, finding an experienced local tuner to dial your setup will be the best investment in my opinion.
This is indeed very helpful Thanks for youre advice!
Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdolatre View Post
This info was exactly what I was looking for, thanks for sharing your whole setup!
TunerThings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2018, 06:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Rep Power: 0 d1632psi420 is worse than Satan's assholed1632psi420 is worse than Satan's asshole

Where are you located?

I have a few builds ive tuned myself. I tune with Crome or hondata.
I have a complete ebay built d16y8 holding 440 to the wheels and its daily driver.
Stock Block, not sleeved. Vitara internals, Injectors, Rail, turbo, s300, walboro 255.

I also have 2 d16s sittin in my garage i need out asap. They are built already holding 215 at the wheels. They are both high compression NA set ups. Let me know.

Also have a j series v6 ( Might build, IDK yet )

Ebay turbios are awesome, I found this Knock off gt35r with a lifetime warranty for only $150 with free shipping

Need to get Hondata s300 v3.
Best thing you could get for any build, its pricey but 100% worth the money.

With a Wideband, the s300 is cake walk to tune.

let me know, i can send you over some basemaps, either hondata or crom chip.
d1632psi420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in