What do you guys think of my clearances for a 400-480whp vitara build - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default What do you guys think of my clearances for a 400-480whp vitara build

Hello again all DSO members. Back on DSO with new username because I lost my other password for account and email from about 9 years ago. No I was not banned. Have been lurking and reading a bit again. Trying to absorb the good like a sponge and squeeze out the bad like a sponge. Shooting for 400whp-480whp.

Piston to Bore: .0035"(.001" per 100 hp rule of thumb, but shooting for .0035" for slightly longer engine longevity, if that matters much, and less cold start up noise)

Main bearings: .0015"- .002"(Shooting for looser side of clearances due to thermal expansion from FI)

Rod bearings: .0015"- .002"(Shooting for looser side of clearances due to thermal expansion from FI)

Top ring gap: .020"
Second ring gap: .021"
Oil ring gap: .025"

Please feel free to give some advice as I understand its all taken with a grain of salt. Just dont flame me too much. I researched or few days on various engine building things but got tired of reading threads that didnt have an answer and threads that ended up being debates.

Just for the record I have all supporting mods im transferring over from my F22a1 Turbo build for this new d16z6 vitara 400-480whp mark. Most parts anyways besides me having to fabricate a new exhaust, DP, turbo manifold, a cam, springs etc, for the head. Reason being 480 is because of the turbo and from me reading its compressor maps. Prob need 750cc injectors versus what i have now which are 550cc PTE or 510 cant remember off top of head. Not sure if they even make 510cc but its been 6 years these parts been sitting.

Sorry for creating a new thread that was the same as this but it appears I cannot edit my posts yet. Tried to edit and some how made a second thread on accident. Mods please delete other thread if possible. Anyways im running the $400 75.5mm vitara setup from p2p0 on a full d16z6 and a fresh 75.5mm overbore.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 01-09-2018 at 03:25 AM.
honda_egd16z6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Does anyone with experience or have over a 400whp build have specs of what they did or think anything bad of my clearances?
Old 01-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

theres many build threads of 400+ do some looking
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

P2W and ring gaps seem kinda loose.

I’m running forged endyn pistons which call for P2W of .0028” - .003”. I understand that you’re shooting for double the power than I am but the cast vitara pistons won’t expand as much as forged pistons.

Not sure if you’ll have some piston slap with those P2W’s

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
theres many build threads of 400+ do some looking
true but it'll take weeks for me to read through their whole builds and find the right builds that have actually finished. Lots of them are many pages of reading just to come to a dead end and never finished. Any names of the guys have completed their builds? Dan is one of them but in my researching he replied to other peoples threads stated 2 different specs on his stuff. Might have been 2 diff builds he was stating for since he has done a few of them. Not calling him out, just saying I've some searching so using his an as examples. Was actually hoping he would reply or someone of equivalent experience and builds. But thx for the reply ill keep searching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
P2W and ring gaps seem kinda loose.

Im running forged endyn pistons which call for P2W of .0028 - .003. I understand that youre shooting for double the power than I am but the cast vitara pistons wont expand as much as forged pistons.

Not sure if youll have some piston slap with those P2Ws
True vitara will have less thermal expansion hopefully. And one guy had his p2bore set at .006. Slap in cold but quiet after hot.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

I wouldn't have a problem of .003" P2W with 4032 but the rest of it looks fine.

At least with running on the looser side, you won't have clearance problems at whatever boost level you decide on
Old 01-17-2018, 02:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 25 all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!all_rice is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 19 reviews

Did you already buy the vitaras? If not get some quality forged pistons

RIP SFC Dwayne Torres "Brother in arms"
RIP CALI NOOB
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2018, 05:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

if only there was a place you could possibly look to find the info your looking for.

maybe a post that never moves.

400hp? i would guess your going forced induction?

did you try looking in the "forced induction" section of this forum?

did you look at the stickies in that section of the forum?

if only you took 5 seconds to go look for this information before posting a question about it.

here is the deal. i know some people are posting and helping out but really we are not going to build this for you.

put in a little bit of your own work. if it "takes you weeks" to find this info so be it. god forbid you have you have to read a little to learn something. also if you would just check the places that have this info compiled together in one place you wouldnt be looking for weeks to find the info.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

buy real pistons.
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

What's with all of the Vitara hating, I thought the dSo consensus was these things are god's gift to the single jingle?
d-serious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Ya man ..why are you asking for help on building a d series on the most well known d series forum ? all of us d series guys arent here to help out a fellow d series guy.maybe you are crazy busy with work , kids , an unexpected home repair ..thats no excuse .we would rather type out a couple paragraphs insulting you .pfft askin for tips on building a d series ..where do you get off ? I know it would be quicker and easier to just pass you along a link or type a sentence or maybe even two that give you the help you asked politely for but .... (ps iv never built a F.I bottom end YET but if i had i would shoot you my tolerances )
Pacificjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

why are you bumping dead threads?
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Iv been reading a ton , i read many threads , even dead threads .i think thats why they dont disappear ..so you can read them anytime .same reason you are ..i felt compelled to.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificjoseph View Post
Ya man ..why are you asking for help on building a d series on the most well known d series forum ? all of us d series guys arent here to help out a fellow d series guy.maybe you are crazy busy with work , kids , an unexpected home repair ..thats no excuse .we would rather type out a couple paragraphs insulting you .pfft askin for tips on building a d series ..where do you get off ? I know it would be quicker and easier to just pass you along a link or type a sentence or maybe even two that give you the help you asked politely for but .... (ps iv never built a F.I bottom end YET but if i had i would shoot you my tolerances )
Google “site:d-series.org turbo clearances”

There are a lot of good threads on this.

You may not realize it, but these kinds of questions get asked a lot and they have been answered many times. Some guys have more patience than others. I wouldn’t take it personally.

It’s like having an encyclopedia in front of you with all the information but choosing not to read and instead deciding to ask the author for the quick answer.

At least put in a little work and if your questions aren’t answered or something isn’t clear, then ask. People, especially the OGs here, are more receptive if it’s known that you put in a little effort yourself. Just my $.02

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 10-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_egd16z6 View Post
True vitara will have less thermal expansion hopefully. And one guy had his p2bore set at .006. Slap in cold but quiet after hot.
My machine shop originally screwed up the P2W and set it to .005 with the forged endyn pistons. The piston slap never went away, even after completely warmed up.

Now, with the P2W set to .0028 - .003, theres a little slap on cold start which completely disappears at normal operating temp.

With .006 and cast pistons, Id be greatly surprised if they didnt slap all the time.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 10-10-2018, 01:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

I hear ya , im def in the noob category and value the pros/ogs that drop knowledge , if it wasnt for these guys the hobby/ world of performance cars wouldnt be the awesome place it is.laziness can be annoying for sure but i also see a ton of noobs reaching out hping to get reassurance or one on one dialog with guys who have done it , only to get a comment discouraging or knocking them.alot of time guys spend longer to insult than it would be to give a quick answer.sometimes guys have lil tono time free to sift thru old threafs and just want a quick and ya easy answer ..thats why we have awesome sites like dseries.org.without all the questions and repeating of old knowledge would we have 500whp 1.6 liter hondas ? Would we know a suzuki vitara piston is dirt cheap and perfect for our lil beasts ? If it was only asked once and had one thread on the web wpuld everyone know about it ?whats common knowledge to one , is game changing to another...rant over.. thanks alot for helping us noobs out even know we get annoying..we really do appreciate it.��
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in