First time building an engine- questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Ľ Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default First time building an engine- questions

So my old 91 std hatch is about to become a small project. It currently has the stock, worn down D15B1 - 70 tired horses, smoking at high RPMs, leaking oil somewhere, DPFI - so worn down. Iím looking at a couple options here for what I can do with it. Iím not looking for huge power numbers or anything like that, but I would like a little more to it so itís not straining to pass cars on the highway. Thinking MPFI, bolt ons and maybe a cam. So here are my questions:

I know a MPFI swap is pretty much a given in order to really see any gains. Is that swap, a bisimoto or similar cam and possibly pulling and rebuilding the engine going to be really worth it? Iím not sure what other parts I would need along with that. The pistons probably need replaced to take care of the smoking so if Iím going that far I might as well replace all of the old leaking gaskets.

Or

I have found a D16A6 for sale thatís not too expensive. Has 120k on it. Iíd still need to add the MPFI and would do the I/H/E bolt ons and would look into a cam, would that extra .1 liter make any real difference or would I be better off taking that cash and maybe finding some pistons to bump the comp in the 15 up a little.

The car needs some other stuff as well, and this would be my first attempt at building or rebuilding an engine, so just looking on for some options and ideas for this thing. Itís not a daily and more of just a weekend project car that hopefully when said and done will be a little more fun to drive
tooters bmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

D16A6 is a better engine. Rebuild it and swap it in. Don't waste money on a cam. Find an ex transmission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

A6 motor all the way. Easier to get parts for as well.

Leave it stock . . . the MPFI swap and changing the motor out is enough of a task for a weekend or two.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 StuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the community

Yeah what they say a A6 swap it
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2018, 05:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks guys. Actually had a couple offers on the car in the past few weeks so I was looking at selling/trading it, then a couple days ago, after i rounded a turn, the old D15 stuttered, died, and wont restart, it only cranks on me. Quick look under the hood shows the timing belt cover is cracked at both of the bolts, some coolant on the front of the block by the exhaust manifold and some residue on the intake manifold.

So selling it is out, now I guess i am going to be hunting an A6 to swap in once I get it towed from the dealership I work at to somewhere I can park it and put some time into it
tooters bmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 4 hondur is learning the way of the Dhondur is learning the way of the D

You should definitely get a newer better engine. The d16z6 engine is really common but since it has vtec it's a bit more work to finish swapping.

Before you put the new engine in you should replace all the gaskets so it doesn't leak, besides the head gasket you should find an engine with a good head gasket.
hondur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in