Compression on 87 Octane - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Compression on 87 Octane

I'm rebuilding the D16A6 engine in my RT4WD. I don't want to have a whole bunch of HP or torque, as these transmissions are rare. 130 HP MAX is fine with me. It's just gonna be a daily beater.

I have happened upon a D16Y8 head, complete with cam, intake and exhaust manifolds. I figure the bump in air flow would make a little more power AND increase efficiency.

I just don't know if I can run this setup on 87 octane.

Calculating for PM6 pistons in the D16A6 block and the D16Y8 head (and cam), it puts me at 10.08:1 compression.

Anyone have experience with higher than normal compression N/A setups on regular fuel?

I know the D17A2 in the 2001-2005 Civics runs a 9.9:1 compression ratio just fine on regular fuel. And the D17A in Canada and JDM cars runs a 10.5:1 ratio, but I'm not sure what fuel they recommend on a stock engine.
Pele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Henry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunnaHenry44 is da #1 stunna

We run a B2 block with a shaved head and 3-layer MLS head gasket. We run an A6 cam. We're about 10.5:1. We run 92 pump gas with a bit of timing. If we run 87, we have to pull timing to prevent pinging.
Henry44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele View Post
I'm rebuilding the D16A6 engine in my RT4WD. I don't want to have a whole bunch of HP or torque, as these transmissions are rare. 130 HP MAX is fine with me. It's just gonna be a daily beater.

I have happened upon a D16Y8 head, complete with cam, intake and exhaust manifolds. I figure the bump in air flow would make a little more power AND increase efficiency.

Calculating for PM6 pistons in the D16A6 block and the D16Y8 head (and cam), it puts me at 10.08:1 compression.

Anyone have experience with higher than normal compression N/A setups on regular fuel?

I know the D17A2 in the 2001-2005 Civics runs a 9.9:1 compression ratio just fine on regular fuel. And the D17A in Canada and JDM cars runs a 10.5:1 ratio, but I'm not sure what fuel they recommend on a stock engine.
Got 48 mpg out of this combo on stock ECU, never check where the previous owner set the ignition timing though. It would be unhappy if you tried to pull from 1500 rpm in 3rd gear, like doing a 1-3 skip shift on 87 octane. On 89 it was happy as could be.

Replace the tensioner pulley though, when it failed on the way home it kissed the valves due to valve reliefs in different position

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 04:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele View Post

Is the $5-7 difference in filling up your tank really going to matter?

Seems like splitting hairs for something you are actually concerned with driving.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Defeated before you begin.. Way to win

/sarcasm
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Maybe not directly relevant, but on a musclecar we got by on super high stock compression by having delta grind us a small stockish cam w extra overlap to lower the dynamic compression. Worked great. Probably won't help economy or pass emissions
Old 10-22-2017, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

I used to run a mechanically stock b16a1 on 87 octane all the time, without issues. Just smooth out the timing spike around 2k on the stock maps and it shouldnt be a problem.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in