Quick D16Z6 Intake Mani question (w/picture) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Quick D16Z6 Intake Mani question (w/picture)

Hi guys. I've spent hours scouring the internet for pics of the TB side of the D16z6 manifold to see if all of these have this weird gouge in the metal where the TB fits on.

On the lower right side, there's what almost looks like a chunk taking out of it. At first I thought maybe mine was damaged before I got it but it seems like it could be there on purpose for air flow? I've been trying to track down my idle surge and going over my engine with a fine tooth comb and I think it's prob just a lean/rich issue because it needs to be tuned and my injectors are huge.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. I circled the same spot in question on my car.

I assume this is normal and for air passage? or was my manifold damaged or dropped and coincidentally so was this persons?

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10566664_863802667023177_1226583710_n_5a5db6bec4bd8919b694ed900895eb1f2cdf7fc5.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	122522  
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

It will be fine, nothing that will hurt the performance. Run it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Check the TB plate opening for the idle issue.

Was the manifold TB opening enlarged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Check the TB plate opening for the idle issue.

Was the manifold TB opening enlarged?
The TB and manifold look stock to me other than the gouge out of the lower right circumference of the intake mani but what I'm thinking is maybe they came that way stock because it does line up with the groove on the TB itself.

If you look at the picture of the bottom of the z6 TB, that groove lines up with the opening of the TB, so maybe it's factory?

As for the idle, I've tried almost everything I can think of. I cleaned the FITV, IACV, TB. I tested the car when it was warm by plugging both ports with my finger, didn't change the surge. I tested the TPS sensor and made sure it was reading below .5v at closed and 4.5 at open. Checked out fine.

I'm hoping the surge is tuning related due to my 1000cc injectors and my tuner on Thursday can figure it out.(I'm only running a basemap and who knows how good it is). I just wanted to make sure I checked everything possible before driving 5 hours (car on a trailer) to my tuner and wasting my time and money if I had a mechanical issue lol. That groove in the intake mani was my last concern at the back of my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TB.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	122530  
Old 09-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I have 3 in the shop, and they all have that indention.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you!!, that is a relief. I really appreciate that information. That puts my mind at ease.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
Thank you!!, that is a relief. I really appreciate that information. That puts my mind at ease.
Congrats on doing the thumb test, I was about to post just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Congrats on doing the thumb test, I was about to post just that.
Yes, lol. To take it to overkill lengths, I'm considering take 2 wires, hooking them up to a 9v battery and hooking them to the leads of the IACV to see if it moves back and forth with it off the back of the mani. Probably overkill but what the hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in