Z6 Valve to Guide Clearance - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Z6 Valve to Guide Clearance

First post here and looking for a little help with my Z6 Vitara build. I'm having an issue with oil consumption and going a little crazy trying to track it down.

A little background on the motor/car. It's a D16Z6, vitara pistons, standard length rods, Delta 272-2 cam, Crower springs, stock retainers. I basically got the engine up to temp, broke the cam in and put it right on the dyno to tune it. We just got into tuning boost and had to shut it down to fix a minor coolant leak. After restarting, the car began burning a large amount of oil. Could see oil pooled on the piston, as shown in the attached image. Took it off the dyno and took it home to debug.

Did a compression test and leak down with about 120-130 psi and 5-13% leak down. I tried new valve stem seals and the problem presented itself in the same way, got up to temp, drove it a little getting into boost slightly, shut it down for 30 min and restarted with it burning a lot of oil. Could still see oil pooled on the piston, as shown in the attached image.

Next I re-ringed the bottom end thinking maybe the rings hadn't seated or I washed down the cylinder walls when trying to start it initially? This had the exact same results. Got up to temp, shut down, restart and smoke show with oil on the pistons.

At this point the only thing remaining is the valve guides which I had a reputable local machine shop sleeve and fit to my valves. I gave them the OEM Honda spec and they recommended going a little looser than stock due to my goal of 400hp. I spot checked 3 intake and 3 exhaust valve-to-guide clearances with an inside mic and got the following:

Intake
0.0019-0.0021
Exhaust
0.0035-0.0039

The spec is:
Intake
0.001-0.002
Service limit:0.003
Exhaust
0.002-0.003
Service limit:0.004

My question is, does this valve-to-guide clearance seem too loose and would this cause the large amount of oil shown in the attached pics to get into the combustion chamber/exhaust? Turbo is also freshly rebuilt and there are no signs of oil going into the intake. Sorry for the novel and thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4727.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	122370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4728.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	122378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4729.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	708.4 KB
ID:	122386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4732.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	396.0 KB
ID:	122394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4734.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	122402  

slowTeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

what about the valve stem seals?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2017, 06:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

They put in K line sleeves? or replaced the whole guide?

You may still have block issues, wrong grit used to finish the bores of the cylinder, or improper cross hatch

Also you may have a blown seal in the turbo, blowing oil into the intake runner.

if you take a moment yo think about it, the only time the guides see vacuum is when in off boost driving conditions.

When in boost you are trying to blow air up the intake guide
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Tried the valve stem seals after I took it off the dyno and it did the same thing. Lots of oil on the pistons.

The machine shop sleeved the guides.

I had the block re-honed when I did the rings, but I just can't believe that much oil is getting past the rings regardless.

Turbo seals are good, I rebuilt it before this build and there is no sign of oil in the charge pipes/intake.

I guess it does seem to smoke more when it is sitting at idle as opposed to in boost, however it still does smoke in boost. Also my PCV system from the valve cover and block are going to a catch can with a -10AN line.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!

IMHO.. if it bad enough for liners, its bad enough for full guides

I personally hate liners, to me they are a quick way to junk a head

I have seen more of the mass rebuilders use them because they are quick and easy.

Then they end up stuck to the valve.

You have more oil in the cylinder bore than you do the valve stem

what grit stone did they use when they honed the block?
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Took the head off tonight and found the source of the problem. The intake valves were covered in oil coming from the valve guides.

I'm still confused how this is happening as I double checked my intake valve-to-guide clearance and got about 0.0018-0.0020. I'm running a Delta 272-2 cam with Crower valve springs, stock retainers and off brand aftermarket OEM valves. The stock retainers don't appear to match the springs perfectly which I suppose could allow the spring to side load the valve slightly although I have seen others running a similar combination without issues.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4759.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	685.3 KB
ID:	122410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4762.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	516.0 KB
ID:	122418  
Old 08-30-2017, 06:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

Where's a picture of the top of the head?
Old 08-30-2017, 06:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Are you looking for a picture of the valve springs or the deck? The springs can move about 1/16"-1/8" under the stock retainers. I'll get a picture of that today.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Here's some pictures of the valve faces and two pictures showing how much the spring can shift under the retainer. I guess its less than 1/16" but maybe still a concern??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4754.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	654.1 KB
ID:	122426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4764.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	122434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4765.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	570.5 KB
ID:	122442  
Old 08-31-2017, 05:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
DIY Guru

that much wiggle in a valve spring in a stockish engine is not going to hurt the valve seal

the spring will have to make contact with the seal

It dosent look like the the retainer has been hitting the seal either

with as even as the amount of oil is on all 4 pistons, hard to believe they fubar all the guides.

whats the inside of the intake look like?

How is the PCV set up?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

That's what I thought as well, but I'm running out of ideas.

That's something I had not thought of. Ill have to throw the cam back in and see if it does actually make contact with the seal.

Inside of the intake is clean and the PCV setup is -10AN from the valve cover and block to a catch can.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

i would do the guides as you already have the head off, might as well. its 250 bucks worth of peace of mind with some new valve seals. slap the head back on after the rebuild and check again to see if your still blowing smoke.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Cervan, he had the head rebuilt just before this issue started, and they put liners in the guides.

Now, OP, is the catch can vented to atmosphere? or to a vacuum?
Old 09-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
Cervan, he had the head rebuilt just before this issue started, and they put liners in the guides.

Now, OP, is the catch can vented to atmosphere? or to a vacuum?
i know he had liners installed but were they split liners or solid liners? i was suggesting getting the valve guides removed and new guides installed, not liners as i dislike them as well for this very reason. might want to look inside of the bores and see what it looks like. if they are split liners the ends should be nice and tight, if not they are a direct path for oil to go into the chamber.

Last edited by cervan; 09-01-2017 at 07:27 AM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

BogusSVO - Catch can is vented to atmosphere

Cervan - Good point about the liners, pretty sure they are split liners so I will have to take a look at the ends. I had them do the intake and the exhaust guides with liners and the exhaust valves/guides look pretty good.

I actually had the intake guides replaced by a different shop on my first build about 8 years ago and they screwed up the tolerances which resulted in all the intake valves being galled at about 1000 miles. I'm now wondering if they didn't press them in to the correct height and now that I'm running the 272-2 cam instead of stock the retainers are actually contacting the seals. Will investigate further tomorrow night, thanks for the help.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I hate that cam passionately.

Get new valve guides installed to the smaller spec, they will wear out. They always do, the guide is a sacrificial metal, and the tighter the better they heat transfer.

Your car will run better on a stock cam. Promise. It just sounds cool because it runs like shit.

And find a new machinist. Quit half assing things
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Default smoke

If that is a shinny clean ring around the outside edge of the piston you have a ring problem.Engines 101
saefifty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 StuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the community

Did u find out what the problem was?
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

Any progress on the Z6
Hexxal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in