over-sized main bearings - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cool over-sized main bearings

Ok everyone i will get straight to it. I had my crank reground and polished and things are not adding up. I have a set that are .010 or .25mm mocked up in the engine and plasti gauged. When I checked it with the chart the plastigauge matched up with the .003 mark. from what I've read I want something between .0015 and .002. My goal is 400whp on my d16z6. So my question is can i run with this tolerance, or do i need to tighten up the tolerance and if so how.
asics0413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Dont run the turned crank, throw it in the garbage. Get a new crank that hasnt been cut and still has its hardened surface.

Or do it all twice, if thats how you roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

The problem is this is already the second crank ive come accross. the first was to far gone. I see one used crank in my area so finding a crank in good condition isnt so easy. but back to my original point, is .003 to loose of a tolerance. and if so is there any bearing out the that i can buy that will fix this. i do understand that regrinding the crank means i loose the factory hardened surface. I dont want to debate running a regrinded crank and boost that topic has been beaten to death already.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

.003 is loose, but it would run. Run a heavier weight oil, and it should be ok.

A lot of oil will squeeze out, and fly around the crank case, not good for performance. Also with the mains being loose, less oil goes to the rods. Especially if the rod bearing clearance is on the tight side.

Theres always time to do it right, if theres time to do it twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

so assuming the rod bearings have a similar tolerance and i cannot find a replacement crank what weight oil do you recomend. im also assuming there isnt a rod bearing that could fix the loose tolerance on a reground crank only thicker oil.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

one more thing i see people mentioning the main bearing size chart for bearings with varying sizes for a stock crank are those still available and if so where do you buy them. it seems like it would be a waste to take a stock crank and polish it for a perfect surface if you cant dial in the tolerance. assuming a polish will remove even a small amount of material.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

honda is where you buy them.

bring your wallet, it's like 4x the price of an ACL or King set
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

There's millions more non-nitrided cranks out there in the world than nitrided ones.

I'd take a bigger issue with not having micrometers and bore gauges and you are building your own engine. It's like trying to do detailed drawings with an extra large tip sharpie. It's "close" to .003 but it could be .0028 or .0033 . . . and that's the difference between where you want to be and a mile worth of clearance.

But it's better to be too loose than too tight.

If it's just going to be a street car, then use 10w-40 I guess and hope for the best.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

When you turn a crank.

You should have the bearing/bores mic'd

If they dont ask for that.. You should wonder about a lot of things

TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
acl, bearing, main cap, micropolished crank, plastigauge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in