Crankshaft rod oiling holes - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Crankshaft rod oiling holes

Just replaced (preventive maintenance) my ACL rod bearings in a turbo D16y8 with about 10k miles. Well, there were not destroyed but not brand new so I decided to replaced them. I've seen that in contrast to D16z6 crank, the D16y8 has only one hole for rod bearing oiling and this might be a good reason for rod bearing failure (my oil pump is ported and oil pressure was well above standard under all conditions). My question is does the same apply for D17a2 cranks? (do they also have one hole?). I am planning to build a new motor and keep my d16y8 as spare and not sure whether to start with a D17a2 or a D16z6 (the former has the benefit of more displacement, the latter is more proven). I run daily about 16psi.
gzob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Certified O.G.

Rep Power: 27 Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Staypuff578 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Staypuff578

D16Z6.

/Thread.

Quote:
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Spoolin_Larry
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

throw the d17 rotating into another d16 block, you wont be able to drop the d17 entirely in place.

people simply dont get the Y subseries motors. you wont spin the bearings with a d16y rotating assembly.

hell, honda even authorized use of 5w-20 with 96-00 civics. that should say something

My two cents on what to build:

stroker is expensive for what you need, since stock d17 rods are puny.

find any d16 setup, do a vitara build and good rods if you want a cheapish 3-400whp supported motor

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 06:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
throw the d17 rotating into another d16 block, you wont be able to drop the d17 entirely in place.

people simply dont get the Y subseries motors. you wont spin the bearings with a d16y rotating assembly.

hell, honda even authorized use of 5w-20 with 96-00 civics. that should say something

My two cents on what to build:

stroker is expensive for what you need, since stock d17 rods are puny.

find any d16 setup, do a vitara build and good rods if you want a cheapish 3-400whp supported motor
I'm not sure if you meant to say d16z6 rotating assembly or not because y sub series are more prone to spinning bearings.
Jim93eg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Stroked D16 is amazing! Just throwing that out there. Mine was worth every penny.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I liked my stroked D16. Even ran a 13 sec pass at the drag strip with it NA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2017, 03:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

stick with the y8 single oil hole (in my opinion), there is a thread on this. but to each there own.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Whole story: I was using quite thick oil (AMS 5w50) for about 10k miles in my Vitara long rod D16y8 setup. ACL rod bearings with clearance in the upper Honda range (within spec). I swapped my oil pan for an aluminum unit for better cooling (out of a Euro D16w1, Honda HRV) and decided to check my rod bearings since it was a good opportunity with oil pan removed. I did not expect to see any wear there due to low mileage but later I was so relieved to have done so. Rod bearings had obvious wear, equivalent to many tenths of thousands miles. I just installed a new ACL set and decided to recheck them in about 10k miles. I also swapped to AMS 0w40 signature oil and fit a restrictor to my ball bearing turbo (1mm) which was not in place before. Oil pressure is now higher despite using thinner oil due to turbo oil restrictor. I initially thought that the reason for this kind of wear was the D16y8 single-hole crank but decided to give the motor another chance before swapping cranks.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Any other input guys?
Old 05-31-2017, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

5w-50 during cold starts means it was almost exclusively bypassing the filter until warm. most oil filters have a fairly low "high" pressure bypass, and 50 weight oil will trigger most.

the wear most likely is NOT from the d16Y sub series oiling system. I actually have never seen anyone prove it is a shitty oiling system

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2017, 01:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Yes I was thinking the same thing. Now with 0w40 AMS signature, it should trigger the bypass much less often. Where do you think wear could come from? Oil changes every 2-3k miles, genuine Honda filter, proper rod bearing clearances, max oil temp ever registered 243F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in