Kings race bearings clearance - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Kings race bearings clearance

Currently redid my bearing clearance after having to rebuy rod bolts from ARP and at 50 ft lb of torque with my scat ARP 2000 3/8 x 1.600 my clearances came out to .001

I read that this is on the tight side especially for a turbo motor that I'm shooting for close to 400hp as possible

Would you recommend running this clearance ? If so what oil should I use?
DFBUILT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

.001 what.

.0010"? .0015"? .0018"?
Old 03-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

.0010 on the rod bearings, two look like they are barely under the .0010 mark so I'd say .0012-3 on two but should I worry about spinning a bearing ? What oil viscosity and brand should I use ??

Old 03-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

Buy an outside micrometer and dial bore gauge.

If you are building your own stuff you need to know to the .0001 decimal place. Plastigage is not good enough.

I personally wouldn't run less than .0013 on the stock d16 journal size of 1.771"/45mm

The only reason for super tight clearances (to my knowledge) is to reduce windage/oil mist in the crankcase as it comes out from under the bearings.

One of my favorite proverbs about bearing clearance is if you run too loose of a clearance, only you will know. Run too tight and everyone will know.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Well I got the king race STD bearings, would you recommend me trying an undersized bearing ?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Did you get the crank micropolished?
RebornFromAshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

It seems you have been having many issues trying to get his engine built. I would just throw in the towel and take it to a professional.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBUILT View Post
Well I got the king race STD bearings, would you recommend me trying an undersized bearing ?
This is a great comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornFromAshes View Post
Did you get the crank micropolished?
A machine shop is going to be able to take .0005" or less off a crank journal pretty easily.

You need to know exactly how much though. Micrometer/bore gauge are your only option realistically unless you have the machine shop do all of it for you
Old 03-31-2017, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornFromAshes View Post
It seems you have been having many issues trying to get his engine built. I would just throw in the towel and take it to a professional.
What kind of shitty advice is this?

Dude is coming here for help. Nobody knows everything on day one. Get off your 43 post high horse and actually contribute something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 anomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-SeriesFab View Post
Buy an outside micrometer and dial bore gauge.

If you are building your own stuff you need to know to the .0001 decimal place. Plastigage is not good enough.

I personally wouldn't run less than .0013 on the stock d16 journal size of 1.771"/45mm

The only reason for super tight clearances (to my knowledge) is to reduce windage/oil mist in the crankcase as it comes out from under the bearings.

One of my favorite proverbs about bearing clearance is if you run too loose of a clearance, only you will know. Run too tight and everyone will know.
Lolol, I like that proverb.
anomolix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2017, 09:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

50ftlbs seems high.

I would have the rods big ends rebored or at least checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Did you get this engine put together? If you are thinking about getting undersized KING bearings I would give SpeedFactory a call. All they use is KING bearings and should be able to help you out.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

lol I actually laughed at the throw in the towel comment, this is my second motor I'm just trying to get better as I go.

As for the bearings I ended up buying some ACL STDX that gives me the .001 extra clearance and I came out with .0015-.002 across all my rods so I'm happy
Old 04-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Motor is complete and in, just doing little things here and there, got Honda MTF in and went with some SAE 30 for the initial start up, just waiting for a new basemap so I can start it with the speed factory four bar map sensor and grams 255 pump, my previous compression was in the 9s with JE pistons eagle rods now I got the vitara pistons stock length rods

Old 04-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

why Honda mtf? do you not read through this site?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Why not Honda MTF? And no apparently not
Old 04-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

go read around and figure out "why not"

hell, even the damn fsm tells you what to use.
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quit worrying about shit that dont matter, does it spin? Run itttt lol

use moto oil
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
gonzo
Restricted account

Rep Power: 0 Mike_sol is worse than Satan's assholeMike_sol is worse than Satan's asshole

I'm using arp 2000 rod bolts 7/16 and the specs for that say 75lbs
Mike_sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_sol View Post
I'm using arp 2000 rod bolts 7/16 and the specs for that say 75lbs
In your 572" big block chevrolet?

I'm not going to say there's never been a d-series rod with 7/16 bolts but I don't know of any that exist
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in