D16y8 vtec components - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16y8 vtec components

Hey there, well I have a y8 built and boosted, has a cam and built head, but it made horrible numbers on the dyno... 169whp at 5k rpm, and then falls off from there, we think we narrowed it to vtec not working, what im trying to figure out is the rocker assembly, does the y8 have 8 or 4 synchronizing pistons? I took off my assembly and mine has 4 in it, but this diagram seems like 2 per pair of rocker arms totaling 8 for 8 intake valves, Makes sense but can anyone confirm it??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rockerarm.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	117594  
Ek_Frank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 03:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Are you sure you have a Y8 cam assembly?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2017, 05:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Show us a pic of the head with the valve cover taken off pls.
Blues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

It is a y8 head, Yes it is stock rocker assembly there is nothing else in there besides the basic vtec, primary rockers, and a vtec rocker and lma in the middle of them, with 1 pin inside of it- that slides in and out easily, the primary rocker on one side has a stationary insert with a hole centered, doesnt seem to come in and out, the other primary rocker is hollow, is that wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15934019_933866463411071_97366695_o.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	117626  
Old 02-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

The picture looks like the Y5 with vtec-e has only 1 synchronizer pin but the Y8 vtec has 2, seems right? from what i can tell the first rocker has a piece with a spring behind it to disengage vtec? Just trying to figure out for sure
Old 02-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Did you check your solenoid and see when you put voltage to it that it opens and fluid can flow threw it??? Is it a complete y8 or hybrid??
Ryuken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

looks like it might be a y5 head.

check the LMAs for confirmation. if its a rocker pad, its a Y8 most like.y

if its a roller tip, its a Y5. the only other USDM D series head for 2000 and older motors is the d15z1 to have rollers

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 03:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the community

Doesn't look like vtec-e to me. Here's а d15z6(y5) head
Old 02-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

@ryuken
Yeah the solenoid is functioning, we tested it at tuner. And it is a full y8

@mattliston
No it does not have roller rockers, I know the y5 head has only 1 pin per cylinder because the vtec e is much different, works on only 4 intake valves until the pin locks into the other intake valve, but regular vtec is all 8 vales being used all the time, both rocker arms lock into the 'lma' rocker

@lamer
Yeah definitely not lol way different, there is no lost motion assembly on the y5

I think i know now that my head needs 8 synchronizing pins and i only have 4, i suspect somthing that was previously happened while the head was rebuilt, i purchased the head complete with stage 2 cam, ferrea valves, bc springs and retainers, and a p&p job all done and ready to go. From whats in there i can tell it is a y8 rocker assembly, and from what little i can find on internet basic vtec setups commin in all engine series need 2 pins so i am going to find an untouched y8 head and pull it apart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in