Porting oil pump on d15b7 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 anomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Porting oil pump on d15b7

Does it even do anything or have any beneficial effect on the b7's?
anomolix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

The same as any other pump ported, getting rid of any sharp edges and smoothing the port is always good for a pump. I wouldn't shim it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle
Send a message via AIM to 87REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
The same as any other pump ported, getting rid of any sharp edges and smoothing the port is always good for a pump. I wouldn't shim it though.
I second this. Just smoothing it out and giving the oil a clear path to the oil passage in the pump will suffice. Shimming it isn't necessary

Ditch the Bisi cam unless you like your torque to drop off faster than Miley Cyrus' credibility.
Quote:
Never pass up a chance to work on a friends car at their house if you know their mom puts out..
87REX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

I guess it depends on what else you're doing.
On its own, you'll notice nothing; as part of a raft of changes, it might just be of benefit.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 anomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebodyanomolix is almost a somebody

The motor is built and turbo. The pump is ported already (just the hole to the block because try as I might, I couldn't get those screws out) but it's old so I was thinking about getting a new one and trying again but didn't want to waste the time and effort if it didn't really do anything.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle87REX is fly like an eagle
Send a message via AIM to 87REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomolix View Post
The motor is built and turbo. The pump is ported already (just the hole to the block because try as I might, I couldn't get those screws out) but it's old so I was thinking about getting a new one and trying again but didn't want to waste the time and effort if it didn't really do anything.
I couldnt get those screws out as well. I used an impact driver *WARNING* You can crack the oil pump gear cover using an impact driver. then i bought a new one and was able to remove them without a driver.

Ditch the Bisi cam unless you like your torque to drop off faster than Miley Cyrus' credibility.
Quote:
Never pass up a chance to work on a friends car at their house if you know their mom puts out..
87REX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

That's what I was thinking and hoping would happen. I guess I'll give it a shot.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

I've found that if you try and remove those countersunk bolts by hand with a phillips, you have almost a 50% chance of rolling over the edges on the cross feature.

I've had much more success (like 80-90%) with a cordless drill and largest phillips bit I could stick in the head of those bolts.

I've had 4 d-series oil pumps apart and only 2-3 bolts across all of them have been easy to remove. Guess the heat contraction/expansion is bad there.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Looks like I just need to get a humongous Phillips and give it a shot. New pump is on the way so I'll see how it goes with that one.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

The largest phillips bit you can stick in there will work . . . obviously you can go too big.

I think the main benefit from using a drill (or impact to remove?) is that you can push all of your weight into the pump whereas with a screwdriver you are using some weight/energy to also twist the handle.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

I tried again on my old pump and just screwed up the slots more. I'm going to find a huge Phillips bit and stick it in a 6mm socket and try to use a ratchet like a bit driver so I can get more leverage.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 LAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the communityLAMER  is accepted as part of the community

Just drill them and after the porting use new screws. Use a center, to gently hummer the Phillips screws, so they don't brake your drill bit(8mm iirc). It comes out perfect.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Use the right size bit and a ratchet to get more torque and less chance of stripping the screw.
RebornFromAshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 11:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebornFromAshes View Post
Use the right size bit and a ratchet to get more torque and less chance of stripping the screw.
Yeah, I figured that out. Bit driver for the win
Old 01-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

In the past I used my largest driver that would fit the screw that was a hex-shaped shaft. Gave the butt end of the driver a mild smack to seat it, then used a locking pliers on the driver shaft to turn the driver thus turning the screw.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

If you can swing it, get a D16A6/D16Z6 oil pump and don't bother with porting or shimming. It'll flow just fine on a B7 with a turbo and an oil cooler even. FWIW pressure isn't made at the pump; volume is.

My website:
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

I'll keep that in mind for the future.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Yall ever freeze the heads w canned air to shrink it up before trying?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in