One of those what would you do threads re ringing D15 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default One of those what would you do threads re ringing D15

Friend has a D15 that we did a wet compression test on and the numbers were going up quite a bit two around 260 PSI from the start of about 150 average on all so we're thinking that it needs rings his smokes a good bit at high RPM. He bought another d15b7 and we're thinking about throwing it in butt he's going to throw on my turbo kit right after this so we could open up the gap on the Rings I'm thinking that a re ring job will be easier and cheaper to do and he could just sell the D15 what do you guys think
mitchwbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 03:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I would do one of those things ..

rering and gap but keep the good d15 for when he blows up this one up...

while its apart are upgraded rod and head bolts being installed, not a bad idea unless it;s already in the plan to have an expendable crew member...

Last edited by robgoof; 09-28-2016 at 10:53 AM.
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

110 psi increase? Holy fuck how much oil did you pour into the cylinder?
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

if there were no piston rings and pumped oil was allowed into the cylinder during cranking, I dont think it would be up to 260

either your gauge is wrong, or you have far more trouble than you anticipate

smoking at high rpm can be as simple as valve stem seals going bad, which is such a common thing that it should be printed in red on any and all service manuals under "smoking issues" or "oil burning" catergory

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Just to defend the 250, I just got the same on mine with (presumably) worn rings. Average 190 on all cylinders, and after a few squirts of oil up to 250.
I was just going to pull the engine, get one of those ebay kits for around $300 and rebuild everything. Not sure how good they are, but can't get worse than it is...
Hylander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

if it jumps to that number, sure. But I guess I was going by how he mentioned it creeped up to his 260 or whatever.

Doing a wet test, it should not continue creeping. It should stabilize or at least plateau to some extent

EDIT check rockauto, they sell rebuild kits for a good price, have a good warranty if a shop does the labor, and gen erally provide decent quality parts.

an OEM rebuild is of course the best route, but spendy

Build what you have!

Old 10-02-2016, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular

Sorry we continued to put in more and more oil 3 or 4 times in a cycle and the numbers keep climbing and climbing.

We have the head off now and pistons out. Miced the cylinders with a hf caliper and the expandable slider tool forget what it's called. Taper and out of round all seem to be within .003 of each other so I'm thinking just throw em in? Npr rings should be here tomorrow, I'm trying to convince him to get the d15 h beam rods and I'll sell him my vitaras.

Last edited by mitchwbr; 10-02-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwbr View Post
Sorry we continued to put in more and more oil 3 or 4 times in a cycle and the numbers keep climbing and climbing.

We have the head off now and pistons out. Miced the cylinders with a hf caliper and the expandable slider tool forget what it's called. Taper and out of round all seem to be within .003 of each other so I'm thinking just throw em in? Npr rings should be here tomorrow, I'm trying to convince him to get the d15 h beam rods and I'll sell him my vitaras.
in my opinion calipers are not nearly accurate enough to measure taper and out of round of a cylinder. I would atleast use the harbor freight micrometer set they have (if they make one big enough to fit over the snap gauge).

I have seen rings that were so sludged up that they wouldnt expand to the cylinder walls and blow clouds of smoke, re ring and clean the piston grooves and it blows clean. However bad valve stem seals and worn valve guides are also a very possible issue.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Only real way to clean the rings and shit good though, is a ton of time, plenty of diesel fuel, and the car to not be operated on in several days.

drain oil, leave filter on, use diesel in palce of oil, top off to oil cap, sit 24-48 hours, drain, fill normal with oil, turn motor over by hand 3-4 dozen times, drain oil/fuel mix, add fresh oil, idle for 30 minutes or so, check oil, if stained, drain adn refill, and call it good.

Best/cheapest/laziest way to super clean a motor and unstick shit.

Also a great way to find out of dirt or sludge has been sealing any leaks!! Prepare to get pissed on an old motor lol. oil pan gasket WILL leak most likely

Build what you have!

Old 10-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Like I said we all ready pulled the head guess it's too late now but when we had the Pistons out the Rings actually look decent none of them are stuck or anything so it probably is bad valve stem seals so maybe we'll just throw my Z6 head on it just because that has really low miles on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in