Stock tranny cooler as oil cooler/warmer - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Stock tranny cooler as oil cooler/warmer

Is anyone doing this? Lots of swapped Hondas have the automatic radiator (mine is simply auto manual swapped) like my stock one. I'm thinking of doing some pre turbo oiling prep by adding an aux cooler via sammich plate then running it to the stock radiator tranny cooler to cool/condition the oil so it warms up quicker and doesn't get overcooled.

It'll be easy to get oil to my turbo after I do this and seems like the kind of longevity mods I like to do to any vehicle I have but I can't really find anyone doing this via search.

Thoughts? Already doing it cuz its such an obvious mod? Bad idea?

Let's discuss.
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

SEARCH ....it has been covered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Dude. Everytime I search I end up commenting on a dead thread from like 15 years ago that's a top Google search result or i come up with totally irrelevant results. I fail at the internet it seems...repeatedly.

This instance I'm coming up w poor results w my search terms but will continue. Not much else I can do w a baby sleeping on me

Edit: lmao I tried the most literal basic search possible and actually got zero results which....is impossible. Those terms are mentioned a zillion times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-08-01-13-39-36.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	112010  

Last edited by evotec1; 08-01-2016 at 12:45 PM.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I wouldn't run it through the stock tranny cooler, it is low capacity and the increased temp the turbo will cause in water temps will heatsoak into that tranny cooler and in turn increase oil temps. I would suggest an aftermarket cooler, you can go to a junkyard if $$ is an issue and grab an old external tranny cooler, alot of tow equipped FWD suvs and such have them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

If optimal temp for oil is 230-250 degrees I see no problem, if my coolant at the bottom of the tank is 230 degrees already that's a problem in itself.

I'm proposing an aux cooler to mad cool the oil, then the in rad unit just to make sure it's not overcooling when it's 5am and cold, and I gotta hit the highway

It's not that $ is an issue, I just overcooled an automatic tranny once and learned that while heat is an enemy, u need SOME in ur lubes and u can go too far
Old 08-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Found a post https://www.d-series.org/forums/gener...il-cooler.html that says not to use ac condenser as cooler, which is full of bad info. Who says u gotta run ALL THE OIL through the cooler before the engine gets it? Chumps run limited flow through huge ac condenser coolers all day (literally)

A piss flow of really cooled oil back into the pan is still achieved

See this is what happens when I search. Arguments relevant to 2008
Old 08-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I highly doubt you will overcool the engine oil in your turbo car.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

So you want to pressurise a portion of your radiator up to 80psi with hot engine oil?

Dont think its going to work out well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Domestic auto transmissions run pressures in excess of 100 psi, 30-50 at idle. Or is that just internally my understanding of auto trannys is lacking but I've heard that oil is the second least under pressure fluid in the car w true hydraulic systems running at far higher pressures.

If this is the case and those pressures are system wide 60-80 psi should be safe, my worry would be under failure the hoses for cooling would be coated in oil but with a new radiator that would be minimal risk. (And no worse than if it ruptured atf)

If I am inaccurate please correct me, even if you decide to let me have it for being dumb. Better bawled out than ignorant!

It won't be a turbo car for quite some time yet though. Working on the y8/y7 notec hybrid head this winter, w luck iddy biddy turbo will be next summer project but probably next winter.

Last edited by evotec1; 08-01-2016 at 02:23 PM.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Spend $30 on an autozone oil cooler and be done with it

no need for frankenstein shit when the proper equipment is so cheap

EDIT you can do the oil cooler now, no need to wait for turbo, as the D series motors love having cooler oil temps

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Nothing LOVES too cool of oil though, if u never get hot enough to steam off water it turns to acid and can damage bearings and eat aluminum. Plus water and oil together suck at lubricating. Aftermarket hot rod radiators routinely have a generic cooler built in, with mention of engine oil as an acceptable use.

Can anyone confirm the line pressure at the cooler on a civic? Or hold on, my next spat of googling will be for that spec
Old 08-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ok pops says that line pressure in an auto is diverted via a % to the TC and it sees 45 psi max of its total line pressure.

So not sounding so good

Google again failed
Old 08-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

you are over thinking it.

you will never over cool the oil unless you truly set out to do so.

buy the cheap cooler. dont rig shit up.

I have no idea where 45psi came from. I guarantee my automatic is throwing more than that through my oem tranny cooler on the bottom of the radaitor

Build what you have!

Old 08-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

He says that line pressure is like pump pressure and that only a portion of pressure goes to the cooler circuit and that it's more high volume than high pressure. So if u cut a line it bleeds fast from the volume, but not like a squirt gun (high pressure)

He is however getting old, and I know no better

I'll probably just end up getting a different radiator cuz it bugs me to just have unused stuff just taking up space. At least a correct radiator won't have the visibly unused fittings hanging out doing nothing

I tend to think too much, I'm ADHD and the rapid fire thoughts going through my head are enough to dizzy most ppl

Kinda why I like working on cars
Old 08-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Nahhhh talked to chumper will and he says go for it, and referred me to a 20 page debate over valuation of this mod for the 2016 rules being that if you order a manual rad for many models from chumpcars preferred part source they come w the cooler anyway.

It's the OEM replacement from their preferred source, must mean it's a zero dollar mod. No. Pages debating this, no debate of whether its a good mod. You lose the cooling capacity in any case so there's lots to this debate.

Some aren't doing it because they can't afford any more heat being introduced to the cooling system. Others are running that rad w the circuit plugged because it's valued too high by some techs. Where techs value it as OEM style rad swap (a 5$ hit) ppl run it and love it.

Some ppl run an external pump and cool the diff, paying only for the pump in terms of total competition value. There's some discussion over if this can be used for PS with an external pump as well
Old 08-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotec1 View Post
Nahhhh talked to chumper will and he says go for it, and referred me to a 20 page debate over valuation of this mod for the 2016 rules being that if you order a manual rad for many models from chumpcars preferred part source they come w the cooler anyway.

It's the OEM replacement from their preferred source, must mean it's a zero dollar mod. No. Pages debating this, no debate of whether its a good mod. You lose the cooling capacity in any case so there's lots to this debate.

Some aren't doing it because they can't afford any more heat being introduced to the cooling system. Others are running that rad w the circuit plugged because it's valued too high by some techs. Where techs value it as OEM style rad swap (a 5$ hit) ppl run it and love it.

Some ppl run an external pump and cool the diff, paying only for the pump in terms of total competition value. There's some discussion over if this can be used for PS with an external pump as well

Quote:
Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Try to breath through a coffee stirrer and you'll see why it is a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Try to breath through a coffee stirrer and you'll see why it is a bad idea.
Some people do that to train their respiratory system.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Word.

Chumps will debate anything, even the value of mods that will blow u up... guess I see a competitive advantage into making others think it works haha. Kaboom! Now ur 2 hours down swapping motors

I'm definitely gonna try to find a legit rad w no cooler
Old 08-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

I have to go into serious mode. Hold tightly to your man card.

why in the absolute FUCK do you care about an ATF cooler hanging out unused so much that you want to WASTE money replacing the radiator?

if they bother you so goddamn much, run your power steering to it if you have it equipped.

/deactivate serious mode

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in