Built d series or stock b20 for circle track cars - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 05:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Built d series or stock b20 for circle track cars

I am building a 98 hatch circle track car. These our rules pertaining to motors

Engine Specifications:
Twenty five hundred (2500) cc maximum.
.04 maximum overbore will be allowed.
Expanded/Racing oil pans will be allowed.
Dry sump pumps will not be allowed.
After market pulleys will be allowed.
Aftermarket heads will not be allowed.
Roller valve train parts allowed only if OEM parts. No aftermarket. Maximum 480 lift camshaft All pistons will be allowed.
Connecting rods must be steel.
Variable valve timing will be allowed.
Knife edging cranks will not be allowed.
Maximum compression ratio is 12:1
Engine must be of same manufacture as chassis. Honda for Honda, Toyota for Toyota etc. Engine must fit chassis with no modification of motor mounts.

IGNITION
Any stock ignition or MSD will be allowed.
Fuel System:
A fuel cell is mandatory. Maximum twelve (12) gallon fuel cell, in a steel container with a check/rollover valve in the vent line; secured with two (2) straps front to rear and two (2) straps left to right. The minimum dimension of strap material is eighth (1/ inch x one and one half (1) inch.
All fuel filters must be of metal construction. No plastic, glass or other material will be allowed.
Any line containing a combustible material must be metal and routed outside of the driver compartment. Electric fuel pumps must be wired through a low oil pressure cut off switch.
Fuel Cell minimum ride height 8? from ground.

I am building a whole car so my budget for drivetrain for first year is tight. Looking for opinions on 1st would you swap in abseries motor and gsr trans. This swap will be most of my drivetrain budget due to torque I was looking at a b20b or build a dseries motor and apply savings into motor. Head cam pistons valve springs etc.

I understand with a endless budget bseries all the way but in my situation would the build d series motor outperform to stock b series set up ?

I am partial to d series I use to drag a 92 hatch with a turbod d16 loved that car.

Seeing rules maybe a few bench builds to get some ideas.
Maineracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

With an endless budget and those rules, you'd be looking at a K series.

Maximum displacement wins everytime if there's no weight break.

"I am building a whole car so my budget for drivetrain for first year is tight."

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again . . . in circle track and road racing, the setup and the driver are WAY more important than making raw HP.

If your budget is really that small, then use a stock z6 or y8 and put the rest of the money/time in gutting the car, roll cage, suspension and your safety equipment.

Worry about a built motor next year, heck half the racing season is almost over at this point anyways.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-SeriesFab View Post
With an endless budget and those rules, you'd be looking at a K series.

Maximum displacement wins everytime if there's no weight break.

"I am building a whole car so my budget for drivetrain for first year is tight."

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again . . . in circle track and road racing, the setup and the driver are WAY more important than making raw HP.

If your budget is really that small, then use a stock z6 or y8 and put the rest of the money/time in gutting the car, roll cage, suspension and your safety equipment.

Worry about a built motor next year, heck half the racing season is almost over at this point anyways.

Quote:
Engine must fit chassis with no modification of motor mounts.
might be the b reason ..
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

yes k series is out of the picture. Car was just gutted yesterday we our starting build on cage next week. we do not plan on racing this year. Alot of guys our running integras we get a 50 pound break for running a sohc motor. budget for drivetrain is about $1500.I agree 100% you can have the biggest motor but gearing is the most important.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

you also get a 50 pound break if you dont run variable timing. But in a all out race motor why not just cam a non vtec head for upper rpms.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineracer View Post
yes k series is out of the picture. Car was just gutted yesterday we our starting build on cage next week. we do not plan on racing this year. Alot of guys our running integras we get a 50 pound break for running a sohc motor. budget for drivetrain is about $1500.I agree 100% you can have the biggest motor but gearing is the most important.
Then run a F22A.

Keep the SOHC and get more displacement.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoof View Post
might be the b reason ..
so if you welded an entire front clip off an rsx to a civic frame would that be within rules?
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Whatever you are doing, if you want to be competitive as NA, your best bet is always to try to get as close to the displacement limit as the rules allow. 2.5L in a civic is F-G-H K or maybe some crazy J build (not likely).

In your place I would be thinking h23 swap for now with an overbore, pistons and a headswap down the road.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

can't bore an H23.

G23 bored as much as you can is the only way to get that kind of displacement on a distributor headed honda
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

lol, f22/3 block with k pistons and h22/3 head? sounds win
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch

Rep Power: 34 dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dougshatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
lol, f22/3 block with k pistons and h22/3 head? sounds win
word!

My kanjozoku project

dougshatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

B20 for sure, just because torque alone. Vtec head later.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 04:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

j30 swap, press sleeves into bores to change the bore size from 86 to 78.5 you could reach 2.49 theoretically. And seeing as many stock d16, b16, b18 and b20 combos are right in that size range im sure you could find something to fit the bill. it says you cannot overbore past .04 but it says nothing about under-boring.

Machining and pressing in those sleeves wouldnt be too hard either. and im sure you could pick up a stock j30 for cheap with the lsd 6 speed trans. Even better would be to cut the frame mounting points out of the originating car and weld them directly into your car wherever they land, defeating the "motor mount modification" rule.

If you want to stick with a 4 cylinder, get an h23 or b20 and stroke it to 2.5 by having it ground and hardwelded.

Last edited by cervan; 08-29-2016 at 04:59 PM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in