Newly build z6 head (P&P, Cam, etc.) - won't idle. Suggestions? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 curlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Newly build z6 head (P&P, Cam, etc.) - won't idle. Suggestions?

Hey everyone.

I picked up my car from my tech just a few days ago. I've had the transmission rebuilt with new carbon synchros and a shorter 3rd, 4th and 5th. More importantly to the topic, I had a new head built.

The motor is a d16z6. The head was ported and polished, a Rocket Motorsports stage 4 camshaft, springs and Ti retainers were installed. I'm using a 60mm ported y8 intake manifold with port-matched runners to the head. I also had a Walbro 255 pump and B&M (IIRC) fuel pressure regulator.

Last year I had the block built with 75.5mm P29's and was running a Bisi stage 2 cam in a stock head. The AEM cam-gear was set back to 0* by the mechanic since he didn't know what it should be set to with these modifications. The distributor is also at 0*.

The car does not want to idle. I took it out for a little spin this evening to see if I can feel any issues. I need to keep feathering the throttle to keep it from dying. Any time the revs dip below 500-1000RPM the engine shuts off.

I have a tune scheduled for next week Wednesday and I'm assuming that will erase this issue, however, I need to get it there. This requires driving in nearly an hour of potential traffic.

Any suggestions? Should I try advancing or retarding the timing?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Si.
The old: NA d16z6 - 158whp - RIP May 22, 2017 (dropped exhaust valve)
The new: OBD1 JDM GSR 1.8L DOHC VTEC - 198whp, 138wtrq, Integra Type-R S80 LSD transmission.
curlybandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

advancing the camshaft a degree or two might help the low end but you need to make sure you have enough P2V clearance for that. advancing the timing would help possibly but it would also advance your full throttle timing and part throttle timing.

Check your IACV and see if its clogged, possibly open the air bleed screw on the throttle body a touch to get it to idle around 900-1000 just for the time being.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

why not ask rocket for a cam card and set it up properly?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 JDMCRX88 is da #1 stunnaJDMCRX88 is da #1 stunnaJDMCRX88 is da #1 stunnaJDMCRX88 is da #1 stunnaJDMCRX88 is da #1 stunnaJDMCRX88 is da #1 stunnaJDMCRX88 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
why not ask rocket for a cam card and set it up properly?
^^ this...

I donated have you?
SOHC ZC VTEC, VITARA 75MM, EAGLE H BEAMS, ARP HEAD BOLTS, COMETIC HEAD GASKET, SKUNK2 IM
WALBRO 255LPH, SIMENS 750CC INJECTORS
SFAB RAMHORN, Garrett 54 trim turbo. .70 compressor housing, .63 exhaust
GO-AUTO WORKS large intercooler and Piping
MSD 6AL MSD 2Step., TUNED ON HONDATA
JDMCRX88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 maohonda smells like Boratmaohonda smells like Boratmaohonda smells like Boratmaohonda smells like Boratmaohonda smells like Borat

Rocket motorsports is awesome I talked with him many times about different automotive subject I'm sure he can give you a cam card. But till then with out a tune I would do like the guy above and raise the idle a bit the choppy idle from a big cam not letting the ecu hold it target settings for idle hence it stalls. Friend of mine had a bisi cam stage 5 and it didn't like to idle below 1200 and it still camed at that Idle speed.

maohonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

If you are really worried about getting it to your tuner why not just trailer it? U haul dollies are cheap to rent
Old 07-17-2016, 05:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 curlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to all

Robert at Rocket has been incredibly helpful throughout this process. I've been in touch with him from the concept inception right up to now. He's made some recommendations concerning the idle issue as well.

I've thought about trailering it but I think it'll be fine if I adjust the throttle.

The new: OBD1 JDM GSR 1.8L DOHC VTEC - 198whp, 138wtrq, Integra Type-R S80 LSD transmission.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Crack open the TB with the tb stop screw if you have to, to keep it idling without a tune.

Make sure to tell the tuner to set it back before he starts to tune it, he should be able to get it to idle with the ecu/IACV.

Make sure your valve lash is good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I may have discovered the problem and I think I've temporarily corrected it until I get the tune.

The intake manifold I'm using is from a d16y8. The throttle cable bracket sits further to the driver's side on the y8 IM than the z6. The z6 throttle cable will not work if it goes into the y8 bracket as it is when mounted with the two 10mm bolts. When I built the bottom end last year I had to move the bracket to the bolt hole closest to the passenger side in order for it to work properly. The bracket is held on with just the one bolt but it worked fine last year.

I think my mechanic may not have considered adjusting the slack on the throttle cable when he reinstalled it. It could see that it had a considerable amount of slack when the throttle body was closed. I adjusted the cable position using the two bolts on the cable and also a little at the mounting point for the bracket. I was able to get around 1500rpm and then down to just under 1000rpm when warm.

I'll revisit the throttle cable position with the tuner when I see him on Wednesday.

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

So...

I went and had a dyno tune done yesterday. I'm very happy with the results I'll make a post about it later.

But the tuner sorted out the idle issue. He resent the throttle cable and using his computer-savvy ways, smoothed out the idle. He did say that his system was showing some signs that the IACV may be partially clogged or blocked. I'll get to that once I have the chance.

Stay tuned!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in