Reversing radiator flow? Upflow... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 leec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Reversing radiator flow? Upflow...

Evening all,

I have as D16a6 in an EC hatch, i wanted to go half rad so went for a 'bolt in' Skunk 2 option.

Inevitably it wasn't bolt in due to the hose fittings on the rad being too large and it fouling the bonnet, bonnet was a quick sort with a die grinder. However to succumb the hose problem i had AN bungs welded to the rad, coolant neck and stat housing. Now i did this not realising how large the fittings were(being impatient).

Now i can't run the top hose the same/similar way to standard as with the AN16 fittings i couldn't even fit any hose inbetween them as they are so close. So i tried the following...

I found that even if i removed the battery the hose wouldn't be able to make the 180 degree in such a tight space. So this had me thinking what would the implications be if i ran the coolant from the head to the bottom of the rad then the top hose of the radiator to the thermostat housing? So essentially having the rad flow reversed. Like this...

Common sense would dictate that heat rises so may make the radiator a little less efficient and could strain the pump as gravity would aid coolant flow normally. However i'd like some other input, as im curious if anyone else has tried it and found problems with it.

Thanks lee
leec4391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

I just see the water pump having and issue with pulling the water up against gravity. but then again, I don't know too much about how much the water pumps flow. could you run a straight from the radiator to a 90* on the block? maybe have someone make a tiny piece of rubber line in between the 2 for a slight flex point?

could you take a pic of that idea for me? putting the 90 on the block and the straight on the rad
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 leec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Boratleec4391 smells like Borat

No room SloEG, i tried it first of all. They are so close they almost touch. Plus i'd have the bend radius problem again even if i could.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

redneck engineer thought. hear me out

what if you cut the fittings off, and ran a piece of rubber and hose clamps? so, fitting>pipe>hose>pipe>fitting.

or 2 90*, the one from the rad going down, and the one from the block going down then a 180* at the bottom?

or 2 180* facing separate directions with the rubber line between.....if that makes sense
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 06-06-2016 at 12:47 PM.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Water falls. having the pump do two rises means you will need to double the capacity.

But the real issue is air pockets. With down flow like stock it is not an issue. With up flow the first thing that goes without coolant is the head, total nightmare.

Coil a loop and be done. Use the 90 off the head, point it forward, the a length of SS hose or hand bend a loop, right into the upper radiator opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Problem I see with reverse flowing a radiator is there are conditions the cooling system will be exposed to will allow the radiator to not be full to the top. If you draw from the top of the radiator to feed the engine, you'd have more opportunity to introduce air into the engine.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

I was worried about it sucking in air too. I will see if I can fit a loop in but I can't see it happening, I'll have a play tomorrow, wanted to try and keep it clean.

Shouldn't have been in such a hurry and ploughed too much money into a set up that isn't too common, for reasons I now know.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

holy sh*t

yea you messed that up. measure twice/cut once..

Why not buy different fittings and use the proper hose to join the 2?

Use these fittings for the bottom of rad and back of block
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I literally just went through this in the design of the following..

The solution is to bump your bung back. WAY back. reweld the piece going off the motor to come STRAIGHT out. and if that still doesn't give you the clearance you need with two 45s.. you can use female bungs with male to male 16AN fittings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13401344_10209815554882481_989762225_n.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	109050  

Last edited by d-serious; 06-06-2016 at 04:02 PM.
d-serious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series Janitor

Rep Power: 15 88cr-rex is approaching greatness88cr-rex is approaching greatness88cr-rex is approaching greatness88cr-rex is approaching greatness88cr-rex is approaching greatness88cr-rex is approaching greatness88cr-rex is approaching greatness88cr-rex is approaching greatness88cr-rex is approaching greatness88cr-rex is approaching greatness88cr-rex is approaching greatness88cr-rex is approaching greatness88cr-rex is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-serious View Post
I literally just went through this in the design of the following..

The solution is to bump your bung back. WAY back. reweld the piece going off the motor to come STRAIGHT out. and if that still doesn't give you the clearance you need with two 45s.. you can use female bungs with male to male 16AN fittings.
Sounds like a lot of us in this boat

I did the Transzex thing in the last motor . . . looped it.

This time around I moved the radiator over as far as possible, cut the fitting off and moved it over as far as possible and then cut the outlet bolted to head as much as possible and it is straight now like d-serious suggested.

Haven't gotten the motor in yet but the radiator is mounted.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

If you're able to weld AN fittings on, then you're able to weld barbs/tubes on. Do that then get a section of hose with a 45 bend in it. AN hoses are over-rated for a 190F & 15psi anyway, at that point they're just for bling.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

I agree AN fittings are not particularly necessary for coolant hoses however I wanted baller status, ease of maintenance and it was in keeping with the rest of the bay as all my fuel lines are AN too.

I personally cannot weld I had to have a shop do it, if I could Tig ally I woulda made a custom rad.

Even if I use the coolant neck female AN 16 adapter you posted D serious I still don't reckon I'd have enough room without changing anything else. I will see if I can loop it and see how it looks.

I guess you don't find these things out without trying them.

Lee
Old 06-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Think i figured out what you guys meant by looping the line. This is what i came up with...

Not ideal but should be functional which is what matters.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I wouldve cut the neck off the rad to just have a stump to weld to.

Then use the right fittings.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

I still wouldn't of had enough space. you'd only gain an extra 8-10mm at most.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Im looking at 50-60mm in the pic

Old 06-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

In between the OG weld from skunk 2 and the new weld for the hose fitting it's about 10mm. I know this as I've been staring at if for hours both this evening and yesterday evening. Unless I'm not really following what you are saying.

Either way you will never get two hose fittings with a worthy amount of hose in between them by having the bungs were I have them without a loop or some for of elongated hose routing.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Abide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abide

I looped mine. even less room in the wagon bay. No issues with cooling and I'm even using -12 AN lines/fittings.
Abide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

I'm sorry I have to say it, why do something for "looks" and then make it look like hell?

That loop is a eye sore.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

upper rad hose can be two 45 degree fittings and then weld a collar to space out on the head.

will have to chop a bit off rad to sit fitting back a bit.

or you could have originally just cut the rad fitting off and welded a smaller tube on there from the get go.

function comes before form when its critical shit like engine cooling.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in