sleeves has a lump on cyl #1 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2016, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default sleeves has a lump on cyl #1

Got a z6 from junk to do a vitara build. It has a lump on cylinder #1 towards exhaust side. Lump in on the sleeves but not where pistons sit. Its on opposite end at water jacket area. But Not on the block side but on the sleeve side. Not sure if that makes sense lol. Would try to upload pix but photo bucket won't let.

2nd Build: Turbo mid engine F22A-2014
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Double D or not to Double D. That is the question.- presently contemplating this "daydreaming" dual engine all wheel drive build.
honda_couped16y8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2016, 04:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Upload pic to imgur and embed it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

To Double D or not to Double D. That is the question.- presently contemplating this "daydreaming" dual engine all wheel drive build.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

View image: IMG 20160521 210211

Old 05-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Wonder if it's just a casting imperfection. Anything on the inside at the same spot?

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 05-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

AM I missing something other than the valley on top of the aluminum part of the sleeve..?

If its inside on the water jacket, itll be fine. But I just dont see it. Looks like the usual corrosion in the jacket area to me.

People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Last edited by Esotericimage; 05-22-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Yes actually there are slight scratched/ scuff marks on the same exact opposite end inside of sleeves. I can actually feel small cracks/ scratches with my finger nails. Prob a bad block or a major overbore to like 76mm? Maybe the aluminum got hot in that area and there was also an air bubble on that spot creating an expansion of the aluminum? Lol. I wouldn't mind to overbore to 75.5mm but that still wont solve the bump. It doesn't look like a casting imperfection. Its a smooth lump like a wart on the sleeves hahaha

Last edited by honda_couped16y8; 05-22-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Im not sure if that valley could contribute to HG failure, but it doesnt help if theres a sealing issue. Having the deck milled would def solve it.

But thats up to you if you want to break it all down and drive it to a shop

Old 05-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Esoter- there is a lump but on the outer sleeve side. Doesn't look like corrosion build up.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

I'll prob just get a new block from the junk and reinspect new block also. There is a wrecks block. I'll try my luck with that. This block came off a car with no wreck.
Thanks for the help guys!!!

Old 05-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

I dont see the issue with that block..

If the HG was fine upon dis-assembly, it should be fine as a building block

Old 05-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

So these are the OEM cylinder liners?

I've never seem a lump like that before. If there are marks/scratches on that same spot inside the cylinder bore, I'd be slightly hesitant to proceed with it.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Old 05-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

So you mean a few inches down there is a lump? Then on the sleeve where the piston rubs, there are some wear marks? Seems to me there may be a tiny crack/void in the water jacket, which then rusted the iron liner & warped it into the piston.

HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
I dont see the issue with that block..

If the HG was fine upon dis-assembly, it should be fine as a building block
Its located about 1" Into the outer sleeve of the right side of the picture. Head gasket wasn't present. Someone took the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterico View Post
So these are the OEM cylinder liners?

I've never seem a lump like that before. If there are marks/scratches on that same spot inside the cylinder bore, I'd be slightly hesitant to proceed with it.
Yeah I've never seen it before either. Its too coincidental to have a lump and scratch marks down into sleeves like that. That cyl also has quite a few scuff marks. About 5 marks all going vertical into the sleeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
So you mean a few inches down there is a lump? Then on the sleeve where the piston rubs, there are some wear marks? Seems to me there may be a tiny crack/void in the water jacket, which then rusted the iron liner & warped it into the piston.
Good assumption. Could be. Guess u never know with these shit junkyard blocks. Good thing its got a 30 day warranty.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

I'd try taking something to attempt to knock down that "lump" from off the outer sleeve just to ensure that it was some sort of build-up. If it doesn't come off, I'd be worried about building this block.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in