d15b2/y8 combo ignition timing issues - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 05:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default d15b2/y8 combo ignition timing issues

Hello all. I've searched and searched and its driving me nuts.

I have a civic 90 with stock d15b2 new rings.
head is a d16y8 with head machined .040
camshaft is brian crower stage 2 #bc0071 with valve springs.
bisimoto adjustable z6 cam gear.
bisimoto single layer head gasket .009"
distributor is a b7
running obd1 s300 hondata

so my issue is I have the cam and crank set to factory timing marks. When I try to set ignition timing, locking in the s300 im maxed pushing the distributor towards the radiator. if I un bolt distributor and move it further it idles fine. I advanced the cam from the adjustable cam gear 2 marks and im right below my 16 mark im at 15 ignition timing.

I'm trying to get it all together to take it back to the tuner

thanks in advance all.
gaberamirez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Here I will get you started

https://www.google.com/search?q=d15b...s.org&safe=off

https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...i-me-info.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

I'm a little confused. It sounds like you know exactly what you need to do to make this work. Was there a question somewhere? Considering this is a mish-mash of parts, modifying the distributor ears might be required to achieve your target timing.

My website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
keel_hauled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

What I'm asking is if the head being milled down is what is causing the distributor timing not to get to 16 degrees.

Who shot that is for a stock b7 to y8 which mine is not.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

keel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the skykeel_hauled is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaberamirez View Post
What I'm asking is if the head being milled down is what is causing the distributor timing not to get to 16 degrees.
Well, milling the head is going to affect your mechanical timing, and that's why you're probably going to have to modify the ears on your dizzy since you're now throwing the position of the dizzy's rotor out of whack and you can't rotate the dizzy far enough to compensate for it's new position. If you're off by a degree on ignition timing then just open up the ears a little so you can rotate the dizzy enough to get to 16. By the way, what do you mean you adjusted the cam gear "two marks"? How many degrees is a mark on your gear?

My website:
Old 05-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

how do you know your shitty moto cam gear is correct year for your car? did you line the cam gear up with a z6 cam gear and clock it accordingly? did you put a timing light on it to see how bad off you are?

https://www.d-series.org/forums/gener...ification.html

https://www.d-series.org/forums/natur...ng-timing.html

https://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...am-timing.html

the joys of the search feature and putting in the leg work for someone else
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

2 at the crank
Old 05-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

I did put it on a timing light and all four marks line up but the distributor timing I can't get to 16degrees without cutting the ears and adjusting.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
I did put it on a timing light and all four marks line up but the distributor timing I can't get to 16degrees without cutting the ears and adjusting.
but you just jumped down someones throat and said its not stock, so why are you using the stock timing marks for the cam?
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Because that's what the tuner asked.
The camshaft is a drop in camshaft. I was just asking if anyone had experienced this with a milled head.
My shitty cam gear lines up with the factory z6 gear
Old 05-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

ok, now read the links I posted. there is math in there on how much timing per deck height.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I can't get to 16degrees without cutting the ears and adjusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keel_hauled View Post
It sounds like you know exactly what you need to do to make this work.

My website:
Old 05-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

I just wanted to under stand why I have to cut and make it work. Guess when a bunch of parts that shouldn't go together you end up this way.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

wait, instead of getting your mechanical timing correct and maybe getting the ignition close, youd rather settle for just cutting it and hoping?
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Right now the ignition timing is at 15 it's already close. I'm just maxed out on the distributor. I have advanced the cam gear to account for the head being milled. 3.5
Old 05-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Wrong cam gear for the cam, .040" = 1 degree.

Gonna need a bunch of eyeballing, starting with a OEM Y8 cam gear first to get cam TDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in