To build or to buy - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default To build or to buy

Hey guys,
I have a d16z6 in my Mini cooper... well at least it was in there. I removed the engine in order to replace my steering rack and perform some rust repair on the fire wall. While the engine was in the car, I noticed that the engine was smoking at high RPMs. Some people were saying that this would be rings, but others were saying that its the valve stem seals that would allow oil in once VTEC hit. I did a test by putting it in 4th gear and chugging up a hill. No smoke was coming out while doing this. I also did a compression test and everything was within spec. I put a little oil in the cylinder to see if the compression would change, but it didn't. Ive seen methods of replacing the valve stem seals without removing the head, but my curiosity is killing me. Do you guys think I should just pull the head and check everything out? While I have the engine out, I will also be replacing the main seal, water pump, timing belt, and oil pan gasket. Anything else I should do?
dunejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 CustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagleCustomY8 is fly like an eagle

If your going that far then yes, new head gasket and some ARP head studs would be good insurance too. There is the rope trick to hold the valves allowing to replace the seals while the head is on, I've never done it but heard of it being done.
CustomY8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

It might depend on what you mean by "high RPMs".

Our H22A7 Accord smokes in vtec, but that's possibly because you have to get near the limiter to get the best out of it.
Our D16Z6 doesn't smoke, but is never near the red line for very long at a time.

If your compression is OK, I imagine your rings should be fine. But as CustomY8 says, if the engine's out, why not take advantage of that and rebuild what you can (patience and purse willing)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Yeah, I just want to make sure it's worth it to do all of this. I've got plenty of time, as I will ever dropping the shell off for body work for the next couple of weeks. But yeah, I might just go ahead and yank the head anyways just to see how everything looks.

Removing the engine from this car requires disconnecting all brake lines, removing the subframe with all of the suspension as well... So I want to avoid the possibility of needing a new engine once this one is already back in the car lol. I'll keep you guys posted.
dunejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
d16z6, mini cooper, rebuild

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in