D16z6 knock sensor bung install? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2016, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 speedfreak24.7 is learning the way of the Dspeedfreak24.7 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16z6 knock sensor bung install?

I am building a road race engine and I would like the comfort of having a knock sensor, even if it is more of a pain in the ass. Other than using a D16y8 block, anyone know of a relatively non welding way to use one on a D16Z6?? (I already have 1 complete engine and 1 in parts) Main question is what is the THREAD size of say the GSR knock sensors? (Not wrench size). Like M12-1.50? I don't have an example block or I would measure myself. I was thinking about maybe filling the "spare" bung and tapping that. Not sure if that would work however.

Or am I just looking at using the Z6 ecu and tuning it as is? The idea is that if I get bad fuel, or the engine runs in a part of the map due to a failed sensor or wire, it doesn't eat itself detonating. This may be wishful thinking, but I like it when my engines last at least a season. lol.
speedfreak24.7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Honestly build a det can and listen for it yourself. The sensor will hear a lot of mechanical noise and try to adjust for it. Your ears won't lie to you though, and they are pretty easy to build. You can do a electric or make your own ear muffs.

Knock Muffs:
Detonation det cans | How to knock Muffs

Electric:
Another Electronic Det Can Example - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...5-dollars.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Those are not practical solutions for wearing a helmet and while being out on track in the "thick of it".
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

You can just wire the electrical one to the stereo if you still have one and use your aux input.

If you want to tune with a knock sensor use a GSR OBD1 computer IIRC it's a P72 and it has a board for a knock sensor already.

Another option:

KnockLite by Turbo XS

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 speedfreak24.7 is learning the way of the Dspeedfreak24.7 is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Honestly build a det can and listen for it yourself.
I already have the tuning part down. Like I said, things like high temps, and outside factors can induce knock 4 hours into a race when the engine is heat soaked. Listening with a helmet on diving in and out of traffic isn't practical. The ecu is all good, but figuring out where to mount the knock sensor on a D16Z6 block that doesn't come with a knock sensor is the problem I am attempting to solve. The D16y8 has one, but people say that it has inferior oiling system which I am not a fan of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
Those are not practical solutions for wearing a helmet and while being out on track in the "thick of it".
Not a snowballs chance in hell lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post

If you want to tune with a knock sensor use a GSR OBD1 computer IIRC it's a P72 and it has a board for a knock sensor already.
That's the plan my man.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 03-24-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

can you tap that spare hole next to the oil pressure sender?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2016, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

I was thinking about that, but I would need to know what the diameter of the threads for the knock sensor are... Anyone happen to have a knock sensor handy to measure?
Old 03-25-2016, 04:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

12x1.25

Quote:
Old 03-25-2016, 06:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
can you tap that spare hole next to the oil pressure sender?
I drilled and tapped that hole for a water temperature idiot light that was added to the cluster.

What about one of the holes for the jackshaft (obviously not in the picture because that's not a Z6 block)?
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 atheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagleatheworld0 is fly like an eagle

This is pointless. There no obd1 factory honda ecu that can measure knock accurately. The knock board in a p30 and p72 are pretty much useless. They are so slow by the time it detects knock it is too late. If you want accurate knock detection, spend 3k on a motec setup or do as these guys say, wire an electric one into a speaker in your car.
atheworld0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2016, 03:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunjakellor View Post
I got a rebuilt engine with D16Y8 block and head to resolve this issue.
Y8 block + Y8 head = Y8
(more or less)

The OP is talking about a Z6. Similar in many ways, but not the same.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

dunjakellor

koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 04-24-2016 at 02:44 PM.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in