Honda D Series Forum banner

Stock Parts build

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  wolfspiritky 
#1 ·
As I've stated before...I am NEW to Honda's!!!!

I currently have a D15b7 block and will be adding a d16y8 head.

From some things I've managed to learn, a D16y7 block mated with this head is the way to go. More torque from the bottom and hp from the head. Sounds like a good combo running a 3/8 mile oval/figure 8.....Torque through and coming out of the turn, high revs and hp down the straightaway.

BUT, I have also heard to better this would be to destroke it. Is this correct?? Would you destroke it via the crank or the rods??

Keep in mind, the division I am running, it is required to be stock.....in my eyes, using stock Honda parts....no aftermarket. Tweeking the rule...not breaking it.:tt2:

#3 · (Edited)
^Agreed.

All of that being said, you could keep the D15 bottom end and bolt up the Y8 head with no problems. You'd have a nice C/R, too. On the other hand, you can get pretty much any D16 bottom end to bolt up as well, but your C/R would be lower. The differences are marginal.

If it were me, I'd just use the D15 block since you already have it. Seems like it would be pretty fun. Compression ratio should be roughly 10.6:1.

The only problem with the D15B7 is that the valve reliefs on the pistons don't quite match up to the valves on a VTEC head. This isn't a problem with the stock cam; however, if you choose to use an aftermarket camshaft then you MUST clay it.

#11 ·
Nobody said anything about a dohc zc head on a d15b7 block. He was speaking about the entire dohc zc engine......

#14 ·
It's all good. You're paying attention. That's a good thing.

#17 ·
Does it say it has to be as per a north american manuals? IE. a DOHC ZC came in a 92 civic in Japan. If it doesn't say it has to be from a north american model than I would be getting a DOHC ZC and running that. Ofcourse it depends on the weight differences there may or may not be due to the different motor but if you can be within 100lbs with the DOHC I would do that.

Now ofcourse if you have all the parts to do a mini-me, I would just try that first and see what gains you get since you have the parts already!!

#19 ·
No ports to block off. Only a different throttle body and the auto has a flex plate and torque converter as opposed to a flywheel. You can still use the auto throttle body. It's just got the extra pin hole thing for the throttle cable leading to the auto trans.

#21 ·
Is there a thread that has ILLUSTRATIONS so I can see where/how to set the timing marks. God knows I don't want to screw this up!!!!

It's a d15b7 block stock.
d16y8 head with z6 cam gear
d16 (95 civic) timing belt

head has been milled .005

Thanks in advance!!! I'm hoping to be at the track at 4:00 tomorrow. 9:26 here now in Louisville, Ky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.