Honda D Series Forum banner

d16y5 mini help!!

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Mozze 
#1 ·
Ok so guys I have a D16y5 in an EJ this thing is terrible.. I bought from some kids that have this thing rigged to run an 0db-2 dissy on a p28. even with the v-afc controller set at 3000k rpm vtec sometimes the e-vtec just wont kick in..

Im just sick of running around on this jerry rigged motor so I figure well why not just toss a d16z6 head on this block and call it a day.

Only I cannot find out any information on what I need specifically to do this to a d16y5. So please I beg you if you know complete parts list for this and maybe a clear set of instructions for this swap or if you have a d16z6 head in good shape laying around please let me know!

#2 ·
I see you're on the "one post per year" track, so I'll be as helpful as I can so as not to waste the one post... lol

First, is the motor a complete y5, or some homoligation of parts? Second, I see you're running the p28, but are you sure the tards connected it correctly. Either way, if you are going to swap, you'll need to hunt down the gremlins... Third, If you do plan on swapping a z6 head on top of the y5 block, you'll have lower compression than normal. The pistons were designed for the smaller combustion chamber found in the y5/y8 head.

If vtec-e is being activated by the vafc, look into using the p28 you have. You could also convert back to obd2 for the stock hx computer, but that shuts the door on tuning. I almost always tell you obd2 guys to convert to obd1, and it seems as if you're either there or almost there.

There are just SO many different things causing the issues you are seeing, mainly using a computer for a completely different engine. Not to mention the previous owner's enthusiastic endeavors...

Please check the head code above the ex manifold. It should say p2j. The block code, I imagine, says d16y5, since that's what you've said already. Physically check the ecu. Did they hack wires, or is it a conversion harness? These things will help you close in on how to fix the problems.

Good luck.

#8 ·
If you do plan on swapping a z6 head on top of the y5 block, you'll have lower compression than normal. The pistons were designed for the smaller combustion chamber found in the y5/y8 head.
I was checking on this site SolBlu's Helpful Del Sol Site and from what I was looking at I was at 9:5:1 is that to low? or did I not calculate something in?

#3 ·
The motor is a complete y5 and the wiring seems to be hacked over right at the dizzy the block and the head are both d16y5. So what pistons should I acquire and do I need to do anything special for the oil delivery for vtec from the d16y5 motor to the d16z6 head? sorry if i'm not coming across very clear at the moment im three sheets to the wind. :D

#5 ·
Are you getting any check engine codes? If the dizzy isn't working, consider replacing that with an obd-1 unit before proceeding.

A y8 head would simplify things for a good base for modifications. I, personally, would try to work out the bugs now, when you know it can run. I also like the vtec-e stuff, so I'd stick with that if I were in your shoes. You could get the car down to a tuner and they could get you running so much better just making software adjustments.

That said, not many people like the vtec-e stuff, and there's more aftermarket support for the y8 motor.

What are your goals for the car? <---IMPORTANT

Your goals will determine which pistons and supporting mods to get. Also, if you were going to change pistons, you have the option of using a z6 head. Long story short, you should use the z6 head if you want high rpm power, but use the y8 head for more midrange. If you decided to swap heads, the block is ready to accept either head as it sits. You could mill the head for a modest bump in compression, and to make up for the chamber size difference between the two heads.

#6 ·
if you just want it to run right, wire it back to normal.
if you want it to be more fun, throw on a y8 head and fix the hack job wiring.

edit. it is not horrible. im so sick of hearing how bad the y5 is.
its a great motor. you just got to work a lil harder with it.

#7 ·
The car runs and the vtec does engage about 40% of the time it's just this car feels like a snail pulling a ford exploder..

I have had 2 other EJ's an EX automatic and an LX both of them where bone stock and I loved them so when I had the chance to buy this one for next to nothing I figured hell why not I love these cars. but this car is so slow it makes me insane..

My goal for this car right now is to have something that can hold it's own light to light and not cost me a fortune. atleast not right now.

I have a B18a1 bottom end i'm picking up and slapping a b16a2 head on but I work crazy hard for my cash so it will take me over a year to build that motor up.

I just want something that doesn't feel dead when I press on the accelerator..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.