dohc zc na - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default dohc zc na

so is the dohc zc a good engine too build na or better for turbo? Is it worth it too try to build the dohc for na if so what kind of specs could u get, like cams,port and polish,biger throttle body,heads? I had a sohc zc in a 90 civic si with a wierd hydro tranny and would always race my friends 88 2.0si prelude and i would pull away in 3rd so would the dohc zc be a good competitor for the lude?(hes building it na later) so thanxs.
cxserver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
sub-sponsor

NEP-tuningalltheway is almost there....NEP-tuningalltheway is almost there....NEP-tuningalltheway is almost there....NEP-tuningalltheway is almost there....NEP-tuningalltheway is almost there....NEP-tuningalltheway is almost there....NEP-tuningalltheway is almost there....NEP-tuningalltheway is almost there....NEP-tuningalltheway is almost there....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NEP-tuningalltheway

dohc responds good to boost, not a big after market support for the motor so it will be a bitch to find n/a parts. just BOOST IT

"i got my wooden baseball bat and my shiny silver gat and my homies got my back i got all that i need" sublime

f*ck ebay support the industry
need some parts below MSRP on just about anything?
pm me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

add us on myspace yO!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NEP-tuningalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2005, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 hondajosh will become famous soon enoughhondajosh will become famous soon enoughhondajosh will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

As stated parts are harder to find for a ZC, but they are out there, cams, header, intake, etc. The best advice I can give from learning as I go:

Buy a good clutch and lighten the flywheel!! makes a huge difference, also the ZC tranny is a huge improvement and make sure you have the ZC ecu!! Keep your wheel size to a minimum and drop as much weight from the car as you can...

Vs the Prelude the weight difference is your biggest advantage!!! keep that in mind

hondajosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2005, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

zc's love boost but with good knowledge and plenty of experience you can build one hell of an na setup , my last race engine pulled 197whp at 7500rpm ( would of still pulled more but had to limit to 7500 because i was scared i would kick a rod ) im rebuilding it now with forged rods and even bigger cams and a set of quads ill post up the dyno graph when its done.
Trench_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
diegoaccord

Boost. Mine is recieving a snail right now.

NA on D is like an amputee running a 5K marathon. You can try it...but why?

Boost.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2006, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

are any d series good for na?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
diegoaccord

Thruthfully? No.

Anyone that has a "fast" NA D series has it in a stripped ass EG CX hatchback (everybody's favorite goddamn car) or some other stripped, no comfort having hatch/CRX.

I mean, there were some SOHC's that tied with my B16A coupe...but both of them were EG CX's that the drivers stripped down to the carpet, where as my car was a fully loaded EX coupe.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

ya that suck i wanted a cheap na d series oh well 100hp + in a car that weighs 2000 punds is still fun.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 pork is learning the way of the Dpork is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

hey , come on diego .. theres nothing wrong with na d series ..
pork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

whats the most hp people got out of a dohc zc na here?
Old 01-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

get high lift cams, raise the compression by shaving or getting new pistons, slap on some ITB's, p&p the head, do a full exhaust, and youll be set
Old 01-16-2006, 07:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 35 Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

A frind of mine has a NA dohc ZC CRX that runs mid 13's. It Is gutted like stated earlier in the thread but it's still impressive.

"I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

R.I.P - Pat Primmer

Quote:
Beat them, cheat on them, treat them like shit and you'll get a hot woman that won't ever leave you. Women are a stupid breed that don't use fucking sense.
Black91CRXsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
bennjamin

building a NA D series is really futile unless you have crap loads of money or experience to throw at it.
Do what i did - make your car quicker point to point NOT in a straight line
There is no better feeling than jumping back into 2nd to rape soime slug of a supra/wrx/skyline (insert larger boat car here) thru any set of corners

( toda flywheel , HD clutch...otherwise totalyl stock. Full Tein SS coilovers , front castor kit , front and rear whitelien swaybars , enkei light ass rpf1 rims and good rubber etc etc)
Old 01-19-2006, 05:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
diegoaccord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennjamin
building a NA D series is really futile unless you have crap loads of money or experience to throw at it.
Do what i did - make your car quicker point to point NOT in a straight line
There is no better feeling than jumping back into 2nd to rape soime slug of a supra/wrx/skyline (insert larger boat car here) thru any set of corners

( toda flywheel , HD clutch...otherwise totalyl stock. Full Tein SS coilovers , front castor kit , front and rear whitelien swaybars , enkei light ass rpf1 rims and good rubber etc etc)
In my opinion, the "lightweight" and "good handling" shit is a cop-out. A real car excels in speed and finess, not making up for shortcomings.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
bennjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoaccord
In my opinion, the "lightweight" and "good handling" shit is a cop-out. A real car excels in speed and finess, not making up for shortcomings.
IYO i can accept

Its very feaseable chucking on a turbo kit or spending $10k + NA to get the same result , but if its your beater (like mine) then making it firm and handle like a gokart is just enough to keep you happy
Old 02-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 SLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the communitySLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the communitySLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the communitySLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Who makes zc cams like a stage 2? Also where can someone find high compression zc pistons?
SLO SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

this place has some of the stuf you would like. http://jgenginedynamics.com/Adobe%20...20by%20JGE.pdf
91lslove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough

Now I am not going lie parts for the dohc zc engine are a little less plentyfull the the more infamous sohc honda brother....

But it is very easy...

First off I don't understand why people ask if a motor is better n/a or boosted..

in either situation unless your just going to do bolt ons... you to basically use the same parts but the ones that will sute the way your motor is aspirated...

pistons
rods
cams
Balancing the bottom end
Building the head
aggressive cams

all the same parts need to be changed in either situation the main difference is the pistons and in turn compression...

all d series motors including the dohc use the same size pistons and have the same sized bore..... meaning any d series piston (new d17 I'm not sure of) will drop right in.... so that covers your high compression pistons for na (allready high btw) and low dished pistons for turbo.

Thre are alot of rod options including eagle ( My personal fav.)

valve train items such as cams, valve themselves, retainers, springs, are plentyfull and can be found....

Many are just hidden and not listed under ZC

many are listed as for the 88-89 integra or d16a1.

The dohc zc responds to boost very well.
But can roar and scream na as well..

its just like a sohc but more effecient
Black Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2006, 12:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D

yea ^^

i have an 89 d16a1 motor..same thing as a dohc zc basically. i have:

-race engineering pistons (will fit any d series)
-tuner toys h beam rods (will fit an d series)
-delta reground turbo cams (group buy on thezcr.com)
-jg adj cam gears (group buy on the zcr.com)
-p&p head (found online)
-bored out obd1 intake manifold (found online)
+more

basically, you just have to look to find anything. any 2000 and below d series exhaust/turbo manifold will fit, same with pistons/rods (except d15), the obd0throttle bodies are the same (if you gat an obd1 dohc zc intake manifold, you can use b series throttle bodies).
Old 02-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough

word....
Black Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in