California ZC - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
ColdWindPhoenix

Default California ZC

hey i am looking a swaping a ZC into a CRX but i wanted to find out how engine swaps worked in California so if any one know let me know
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

well you definately have to go with a obd same or higher than what your vehicle is. But thats in every state.
russianswty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2005, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
ColdWindPhoenix

so if i was to get a 89 CRX i would need a ZC of that same year or higher? how would i tell when ordering it?

Old 12-16-2005, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 hondajosh will become famous soon enoughhondajosh will become famous soon enoughhondajosh will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

good question, but russian its not every state i live in Louisiana we have no smog checks or carb checks here.....anything goes........

i dunno much about cali other than no b20s in civics!!! sucks for cali....
hondajosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2005, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough

There are many things to worry about...

if your planning on swapping a dohc zc it is by all means illegal.

one way to get around it ...if you have a 89 or under civic or crx.. is to get a civic dohc block and put a 88-89 integra head on it and weld a d16a1 stamp cleanlly on the stamp area..

for smog simply run a 88-89 ecu and regular d16a1 cams. and you caould even get it reffed by saying it was a d16a1 out of an equal or greater year integra...

Otherwise its completelly illegal.. No other d- series dohc motor ever came equiped in a legal california car (or any state for that matter)

If your talking about a sohc zc I'm sure there are ways around it.... But I do not know of them personally. Most cops don't know the sohc swaps so your only problem in my opinion would be smog....but there are many ways to get passed that obstical..
Black Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2005, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
ColdWindPhoenix

i dont understand how can it be that strict on legalities when you can make a nissan skyline legal to drive?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

the sohc ZC is a smog legal replacement for 92-95 Civics. so you can do an OBD-1 conversion and ref it to be legal.
i'm not sure on the DOHC ZCs since they may say consider it only a replacement for the 1g only. to my knowledge i have not seen one yet, but who knows. make sure you go in person to your nearest ref and ask. most of the time they will take the time to let you know.
90 Civic EX 4dr- turbo D15b (sold)
98 Civic EX 4dr- USDM (99 front) (sold)
92 Accord EX 4dr- ricermobile(sold)
NastyHabitzCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2005, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough

you can't make a nissan skyline legal to drive.....not dailly anyways...definittlly not in california
Old 12-16-2005, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mountain
you can't make a nissan skyline legal to drive.....not dailly anyways...definittlly not in california
yes you can, there is a company that imports them and takes care of all the necessary paperwork. i forget what its called but you could get old R32s for around 15,000.00
Old 12-16-2005, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
ColdWindPhoenix

ok well i was looking at it this way if you can import a skyline then you could probably import a honda crx SI-R which has the ZC DOHC so i want to know why it wouldnt be legal to put that engine in baiscly the same car without haveing to import the rest of it see?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyHabitzCRX
i'm not sure on the DOHC ZCs since they may say consider it only a replacement for the 1g only.
i am only going on the assumption that the ref would see a DOHC ZC as a D16a1 DOHC which only one year would have been the same. i dunno though you really need to ask a ref.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianswty
well you definately have to go with a obd same or higher than what your vehicle is. But thats in every state.
Not here in AZ. *does the winners dance*
DirtyDC4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 the EH is learning the way of the Dthe EH is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

actually a DOHC ZC is legal. its a big myth that they are not legal. The way we see it is that its just a 1stgen integra replacement. since that yeah teg went up to 89 "YOU CAN" put it into a crx or any civic of that year. the only thing is that you have to set it up as a 89 teg, with all emisions related components or C.A.R.B. approved parts. And yes you can get a legal skyline in cali the company is called MotoRex.
the EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2005, 07:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect4speedpride  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4speedpride

everything is possiable with enough money so

*1990 EX 4dr*
B18C1 w/ CTR pistons, B16 head, skunk2 valve springs, crower stage 3 cams and CBR1000 Throttle bodies

*1993 LX 4dr*
H23A1, QSD H2B kit, GSR trans, log mani, HX35, 27x7x2.5 FMIC, 2.25" ic piping

My ride thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:bravo:
4speedpride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2005, 07:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by the EH
actually a DOHC ZC is legal. its a big myth that they are not legal. The way we see it is that its just a 1stgen integra replacement. since that yeah teg went up to 89 "YOU CAN" put it into a crx or any civic of that year. the only thing is that you have to set it up as a 89 teg, with all emisions related components or C.A.R.B. approved parts. And yes you can get a legal skyline in cali the company is called MotoRex.
that's what i was thinking, but wasn't 100 percent.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

MotoTRex makes "USA" legal skylines (there are few in phoenix that came through MotoRex that I have seen last year)........That doesn't include california...believe me...
Old 12-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
decev

They do come to cali but the hp is dropped about 35%-45% to like 300hp in cali. I've seen two in S.F.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
ColdWindPhoenix

so what all would be required to make it set up like an integra?
Old 12-17-2005, 10:25 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by decev
They do come to cali but the hp is dropped about 35%-45% to like 300hp in cali. I've seen two in S.F.
even the v-spec's only come from the factory with 280 and thats in japan
Old 12-17-2005, 10:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

pg6 ecu, 88-89 integra exaust manifold...88-89 d16a1 cams. and it has to be the obd0 one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in