ARP P/N's for ZC... not VW. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Default ARP P/N's for ZC... not VW.

you get nothing!

Last edited by icarusdown; 04-08-2009 at 08:46 PM.
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

oh you are friggen kidding me , i spent ages trying to find those when i was putting my engine together and icouldnt find them so had to use oem bolts
Trench_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2005, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Good to know but what about the one stud that is longer than the rest? JS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

strudel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2005, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Guys over on thezcr have been discussing this problem.

You can run the VW kit without washers, but that throws the torque specs off + who knows what else.

The correct stud is from a DOHC Neon kit. Do NOT order the DOHC Neon kit, you only need a stud from it.

Studs: ATP6.760-1LB
Washers: APW1316N
Nuts: APN12-1

Are the part numbers, you need 10 of each.

EDIT: Race Engineering can get them, special order.

Last edited by Minor Threat; 12-11-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Minor Threat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

so these are the correct 12mm x 1.25 mm bolts then? or are these 10mm bolts? true dohc zc's have a 12mm bolt the 10mm bolts are from d16a7 i beleive
Trench_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trench_Rat
so these are the correct 12mm x 1.25 mm bolts then? or are these 10mm bolts? true dohc zc's have a 12mm bolt the 10mm bolts are from d16a7 i beleive
From what I've read, this is the correct stud. I havn't run it myself, but these are the part numbers I'll be ordering, I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ferio inspired

Rep Power: 31 NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....NastyHabitzCRX Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

the ones that TurboZC has on his car are the B16 ones. he had to cut one down and ordered an extra set of washers. worked ok !
90 Civic EX 4dr- turbo D15b (sold)
98 Civic EX 4dr- USDM (99 front) (sold)
92 Accord EX 4dr- ricermobile(sold)
NastyHabitzCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2005, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness

you get nothing!

Last edited by icarusdown; 04-08-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

No offense taken as I probably should have been more specific. The studs I posted are from an 89 D16A1 very often confused to be a ZC which of course it is not. Having said that, there are many different ZC engines from different years of Hondas.

I make a bold assumption here that it may be the 88-91 blacktop valve cover bolts on the outside of the cover model that you are talking about. Not once in this thread or the one in the original post did anyone qualify what ZC was being talked about. i.e year or car model. Only one person alluded to the A1 and that the studs were the same. I will also state the person that used those studs was emphatic that the thread was an 11 mm x 1.5 pitch and that he had to use that size tap to clean out the holes in the block.

Here are the quotes:JS

They consist of the ARP stud kit #204-4702 (tapered shank version), a can of Brakleen brake cleaner, an M11 x 1.5 metric tap, a 3/16" socket (for turning the tap), a small wire brush (for cleaning up copper pipes), and some WD-40. Trust me, the correct tap for this block is M11 x 1.5. It took 4 trips and a lot of swearing at the Helms manual (The Helms incorrectly states M11 x 1.25) to get this right.

No, that is not an illusion. One of the head bolts is longer than the others (the one directly behind the water pump). I have no idea why Honda did this, but it created a problem. The ARP head stud kit came with 10 studs of equal length. The kit is actually for a 2.0L VW engine. There is no kit made for the D16A1 or ZC engines, but the VW kit happens to fit perfect...well, almost. Luckily, ARP makes a 1/2" longer version of the studs in the kit. That was perfect! I called them up and they had it on my doorstep in 2 days for $11. The ARP studs are on the left and the stock head bolts are on the right.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by strudel
No offense taken as I probably should have been more specific. The studs I posted are from an 89 D16A1 very often confused to be a ZC which of course it is not. Having said that, there are many different ZC engines from different years of Hondas.

I make a bold assumption here that it may be the 88-91 blacktop valve cover bolts on the outside of the cover model that you are talking about. Not once in this thread or the one in the original post did anyone qualify what ZC was being talked about. i.e year or car model. Only one person alluded to the A1 and that the studs were the same. I will also state the person that used those studs was emphatic that the thread was an 11 mm x 1.5 pitch and that he had to use that size tap to clean out the holes in the block.

Here are the quotes:JS

They consist of the ARP stud kit #204-4702 (tapered shank version), a can of Brakleen brake cleaner, an M11 x 1.5 metric tap, a 3/16" socket (for turning the tap), a small wire brush (for cleaning up copper pipes), and some WD-40. Trust me, the correct tap for this block is M11 x 1.5. It took 4 trips and a lot of swearing at the Helms manual (The Helms incorrectly states M11 x 1.25) to get this right.

No, that is not an illusion. One of the head bolts is longer than the others (the one directly behind the water pump). I have no idea why Honda did this, but it created a problem. The ARP head stud kit came with 10 studs of equal length. The kit is actually for a 2.0L VW engine. There is no kit made for the D16A1 or ZC engines, but the VW kit happens to fit perfect...well, almost. Luckily, ARP makes a 1/2" longer version of the studs in the kit. That was perfect! I called them up and they had it on my doorstep in 2 days for $11. The ARP studs are on the left and the stock head bolts are on the right.
I was under the impression that the studs used in the VW kit were too short, but would work without washers. Any part numbers on this 1/2 inch longer stud?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

you get nothing!

Last edited by icarusdown; 04-08-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

you get nothing!

Last edited by icarusdown; 04-08-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

icarusdown

Maybe it should read like this to resolve some of the ZC delineation issues from which car the motor actually came from.

Since yours an 89 ZC I can't say without you verifying the following. The JDM ZC's were usually a year ahead in the system as compared to what the USDM market got. So is there a possibility that your engine is the 88-91 Civic Blacktop? It would have several differences than the Integra ZC's. ie. valve cover bolt location, different number of cam/crank gear teeth just to name a couple obvious ones. Therefore the difference in the studs. Just trying to be accurate. JS

1989 Integra Blacktop DOHC ZC:
Studs: ATP6.760-1LB (x 10)
Washers: APW1316N (x 10)
Nuts: APN12-1 (x 10)

1989 Integra Blacktop DOHC D16A1:
ARP P/N: 204-4702 (tapered shank version) + 1 special order stud 1/2" longer. (working to get official part #).

Old 12-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

The only thing I'd like to point out, is the fact that the 89 Teg is not a ZC. So it should read like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strudel
icarusdown

JDM 88-91 Blacktop DOHC ZC:
Studs: ATP6.760-1LB (x 10)
Washers: APW1316N (x 10)
Nuts: APN12-1 (x 10)

1989 Integra Blacktop DOHC D16A1:
ARP P/N: 204-4702 (tapered shank version) + 1 special order stud 1/2" longer. (working to get official part #).
Old 12-13-2005, 08:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Minor Threat

That was my question in the previous reply. Was icarusdown's car an 88-91 Civic/CRX ZC or an actual 89 Integra ZC? Or as you called it: JDM 88-91 Blacktop DOHC ZC. That's always where the confusion comes from. No one being very specific about what they have. The Integras did have JDM ZC versions for both the browntop and blacktop engines. The easiest distinction are the valve cover bolts. If they are in the middle it's Integra if on the outside it will either be a 88-91 JDM, EDM or Aussie ZC version. I hope you more or less get the picture. It has always been a grey area and most people misconstrew the USDM Integra as a ZC because they don't know any better and it is DOHC. I hope that made sense. JS

Old 12-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

you get nothing!

Last edited by icarusdown; 04-08-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Well that's a pretty definitive answer for me. JDM or EDM 88-91 Blacktop DOHC ZC. That's the same one the boys in Europe have stock in their cars I believe. The Teg ZC's will have 20/40 tooth gears in comparison to your 17/34. That's why parts are different and not quite so interchangeable. So a ZC isn't always the same ZC. Unfortunately most people think they are all the same!

PS. I'll try and give you some answers to your PM in the next few days as I will be off and can sit down and think out the correct reply. I don't have all the answers but maybe part of it. JS

Old 12-14-2005, 08:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

I think the problem is people calling all the DOHC D-series engines ZC, when they're not. The 89 Integra engine ISN'T a ZC, it's a D16A1 I believe, and doesn't drop into an 88-91 CRX/Civic. Please please please, stop calling it a ZC.

Euro cars got a different designation DOHC, I believe possibly got an actual ZC in the Rover cars, not sure how that works out, doubt anyone on this side of the ocean is really going to need to know the finer details about it so I don't really care.

If your engine says ZC on the tag, those are the right studs. The bigger problem now, like you said, is people confusing one engine for another.

D16A1 /= ZC

Last edited by Minor Threat; 12-14-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

damn right, its not a zc! you can interchange the parts, but the biggest difference is the motor mounts. they did make a 1g zc that is basically the same as the 86-87 d16a1 though, but im not going into detail.

so anyways, whats the "official" part number for the longer stud??
Old 12-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticchmbr
damn right, its not a zc! you can interchange the parts, but the biggest difference is the motor mounts. they did make a 1g zc that is basically the same as the 86-87 d16a1 though, but im not going into detail.

so anyways, whats the "official" part number for the longer stud??
The one at the top works for JDM DOHC ZC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in