Car is making werid clicking after new swap??? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Car is making werid clicking after new swap???

I just finished swapping a DOHC ZC motor into my 89 civic hatch. I solder all the wires and the taped them up. I turned the car to the on position not all the way to start it and its making a werid clicking noise. The only thing I can think of is that when I got the battery check and charged the guy said that the polarity on th poles might have swittched. One of my mechanic friends is going to help me trouble shoot but I'd like to have some idea before he gets here if not fix it before then. The computer flashes rapidly with the clicking noise. Any help is welcomem, I've been without my car for a month now and I want it back.
CAttmouch33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 4drmadness smells like Borat4drmadness smells like Borat4drmadness smells like Borat4drmadness smells like Borat4drmadness smells like Borat

is everything grounded properly?
4drmadness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
BOOST-BOY

my car did that when i got a new battery in it, ive had it for a while now and nothing has happened so it might not be a big deal. i dont know about your set up, but on mine its no problem. are you running any extras off your battery though? like any sub systems or extra lights or something that you would connect directly to your battery? cuz that could have something to do with it.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 17 Dweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dweezil Send a message via Yahoo to Dweezil

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Double check everything with a multimeter to make sure you have a good conection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Arrogent?

No, I, like a lot of people on this site, don't have time for dumbasses that type like a cat with downs syndrome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

P28 Clone - $125 Each
Unchippable P28 - $65
Dweezil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ikillyoutillyoudiefromit

Rep Power: 17 cation is a name known to allcation is a name known to allcation is a name known to allcation is a name known to allcation is a name known to allcation is a name known to allcation is a name known to allcation is a name known to allcation is a name known to allcation is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Sounds like a bad connection and/or a dead battery. I've heard the clicking sound before and it happened for me when I had a dead battery.

cation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2005, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've checked all connections and everything is grounded well there is one wire I can't find a ground for its on the back of the engine. I used my wiring harness because my car was a DX. The wire is right by the bottom of the brace for the intake manifold. I also am getting my battery replaced today and see if that helps. Also does anyone know if I can use my old dx ecu to check and see if the car is still making the noise with that ecu.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am running a 4 channel amp and some 3in1 fog/spots lights but I also have a 150 amp alternator I'm running so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
BOOST-BOY

is the clicking coming from the motor, or somewhere off the motor? cause my car clicks when its not driving and its a dry firing spark plug. wheres the clicking coming from?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

the clicking noise is coming from under the dash, atleast thats as best as I can tell. I got the battery today and I'll put it in once I get off work and see if it changes anything.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

The new battery didn't help any, I'm going to pull the dash off and see if I can find where its coming from. Also the engine will crank but its not starting.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 EJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1All-Star Send a message via MSN to EJ1All-Star

is your check engine light flashing at all, like little flashes when its clicking, if thats it, sounds like a ground
EJ1All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

I found out where the clicking is coming from and its the main relay under the dash. I went to honda a got a new one but its still doing it. I going over all the wiring I did again just to see if I missed something the first couple of times I checked. I assume that the relay is turning the fuel pump on and off really quickly. Atleast thats what it sounds like.

Also there is what looks like a ground wire on the engine wiring harness at the back of the middle of the block I can't find a mounting point for it and can't figure out what its for any ideas. I checking the wirng and making sure fuel is getting to the injectors tomorrow morning.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
decev

Was late to work tonight for the same thing. The main relay had a bad connection. Fiddled with the wires and the dash came back bright and the clicking ceased. Will be tracking down the actual short in the morning when I'm off. I also had blown a fuse in my engine bay and in my normal fuse box.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

I checked to see if the fuel rail is getting fuel and it is, but does anyone know if the banjo fitting on the dx fuel line can be used to connect it to the fuel rail on the ZC. I checked to see if I'm getting spark and it doesn't look like it. I replaced the cap and rotor today and still wasn't firing. I assume that the connections on the civic dx is a direct plug into the cps and the distributor on the zc. I know the SI civic has to be changed but does the dx wiring? Also there was a little corrosion in the distributor itself (signs of needing to be replaced?)
Any ideas anyone has will be apriciated. I want my car back before I go back to school on janurary 3
Old 12-12-2005, 04:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

I finally found the ground wire that was screwing things up on the backside of the motor where there is no room. I got it ground and that fixed the relay problem, I also got a new distributor and I gonna fire it up tomorrow after I check to make sure all plugs are getting spark and rechecking the timing and distributor timing. Should be running by the end of this week. thanks for the help
Old 12-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

car is finally fixed, the timing belt was off one tooth and the distributor timing had to be set she runs like a champ now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in