oil burning problem on recent rebuild - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2005, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
gregv

Default oil burning problem on recent rebuild

hello all

recent rebuild on my dohc ZC, and I am having a strange oil burning problem. No oil smoke is visible during normal driving, including full-throttle high-rev boots up inclines, but if I roll (in gear) for any length of time with the throttle closed, especially down a hill, when I get back on the gas a cloud appears in the rearview mirror. The size of the oil cloud is dependent on how long I have rolled with the throttle closed, so if I am coming down from a mountain after a day on the hill, when I get to the bottom and hit the gas there is a lot of smoke. Is this rings, or is oil somehow getting sucked past the valve seals, or what the heck?

any thoughts appreciated.

greg v.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2005, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
CRX KING

slebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slebidia

Did you replace the PCV valve during your rebuild?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slebidia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2005, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
gregv

hello

yup, replaced almost everything, including the pcv valve and all associated piping, but that was during the first rebuild; the engine had the same problem after that first rebuild, so I had three different shops diagnose the engine, including paying special attention to the pcv system; turns out the chrome rings hadn't seated, so the engine shop did the entire thing over again. Now I am having the same problem, and I want to be sure that I have investigated every possible cause of the oil burning before I take the engine shop to court for all my costs, not to mention being left with a car that burns oil after TWO rebuilds.

Is it possible for the pcv valve to be inserted backwards? If the engine shop omitted the oil control o-ring in between the head and block would it cause too much oil to flow to the head, thus causing excessive amounts of oil to be sucked back into the intake via the EGR system?

I have looked at this from as many different angles as I can think of, but I'm still coming up with the rings as being the culprit. To be honest I wish a semi would plow into it while it was parked....

thanks

greg v

Old 11-18-2005, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
CRX KING

slebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcanoslebidia is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slebidia

I suppose if the oil restrictor was left out of the block it would over oil the head. I don't know how bad it would be though. You would have to pull the head to find out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slebidia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

how much have you drove it since u rebuilt it??u do a FULL rebuild??rings??you dont have enough pressure in the cylinders to keep the oil from the crank from passin the rings...just sounds like the rings havent seated yet or gone already...do a comp. check
91HB-D15b2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

i was about to post the samething. i just put a new head on my block, clean the pistons, no play what so ever with the rings, check the compression equal down the board, and yet i still burn oil. if i hammer on it hit and shift around 50-55 rpms or a little higher, when i let go of the gas it's like spy hunter smoke screen... but i didn't change the pcv valve so i'll try that and see what happens... if i can only fine a auto zone in gwinett, ga? lol.
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
gregv

Default rings & oil

hey guys

I only have about 1000 miles on since the rebuild, so I'm not sure what to say about the rings being seated yet or not. If they were cast rings, I would say they are as seated as they're gonna get, but chrome rings were used, so I don't know. Apparently chrome rings can take a long time to seat...and I had this same problem before. I liked the "Spy Hunter" fog screen reference; man, I know what you mean. I think I may try to swap out the pcv valve and see if that does anything, and I may disconnect the oil breather line between the valve cover & air intake as well; I'll probably just rig up a breather temporarily.

thanks

greg v
Old 11-18-2005, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

my sohc zc did that, pretty bad too. my a6 never did until i boosted it, but im pretty sure its because im not running an oil restrictor to my turbo

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2005, 02:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 15 91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

have you redlined it any since the rebuild???best way to seat new rings is to redline it in 2nd or 3rd and let the engine slow the car down...and do that a couple of times...the high pressure in the cylinders will seat the rings quick
91HB-D15b2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
gregv

hello

I'll give that redlining trick a try; maybe I'll get lucky and the engine will grenade on me

thanks

greg v
Old 11-19-2005, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

hey i changed my pcv valve and drove form GA to NY. the smoke screen went down to almost nothing but a puff does come out when i hammer it so i guess i need to change my ring this winter... but can my ring be bad even if i did a compression test and they were all equal down the board?
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in