D16A9 / ZC N/A Race Engine advice - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16A9 / ZC N/A Race Engine advice

We are building a D16A9 DOHC normally aspirated engine for circuit racing in the UK.
Looking to increase the power quite substantially but there is very little information to help us !
We have two engines stripped down to scavenge for bits. We have forged pistons and con rods on order, bearings ARP bolts ect ect for the bottom end. Standard crank.
We have lightweight flywheel, uprated inlet manifold and exhaust manifold.
It's the top end we are unsure about.
We are getting the head port matched and polished.
The only cams available for the DOHC are from CAT cams Belgium they have a few options for lift and duration but speaking to them, they cannot give me any information whether we will have any problems with valve overlap on the most wild cams.
Obviously we are looking at taking a big chunk off the head to raise compression ratio !
We will dry build first, but I just wanted to know any first hand information in regards to ideal comp ratio and best cam dimensions to use ?
I know it's a long shot but hey !!
Also I'm looking for uprated valve springs and caps for the engine but it seems that the SOHC and DOHC have different ones fitted.
Sorry for the long post
Ashton179 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Rocket motorsports offers a nice spring replacement set that you might want to look into.

Utilize the search button, for basically all posts by theacidbeaver in the dohc zc sub forum. Some of the best info I've ever learned from him, is info that comes out completely random.

From what I remember, you can cut 1.5 to 2mm off the head, you will more than likely have to use the Mitsubishi timing belt to accommodate for the loss of height from the head. Adjustable cam gears and a degree wheel will obviously be a requirement.

When my engine builder did mine with colt 282 cams, we ended up with the exhaust ~6 advanced, and the intake 1 retarded, but each engine will be a little different.
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I'm running reground cams in mine, i scratched my head for ages trying to figure out what to do about the rocker adjustment. Basically, with the smaller base circle you have to adjust the rockers closer to the cams, so the lobes strike the pad on the rocker much closer to the side and then drop off the edge of the pad. I believe this would make it idle like trash and probably cause premature wearing.

Perhaps it wouldn't cause any problems, but i wasn't willing to risk it. I'm running non vtec b18 valves that have their tips ground down slightly, and then seated into the head. They're also larger in diameter than the OEM valve diameters which i would expect it to breathe better at higher rpm. From memory the valve guides needed reaming slightly as the diameters were slightly different...

There's not a lot of info about this though, as the VTEC B's have different head designs, but i ready a bit about it in 3G prelude forums.

I'm running a supercharger, so i don't really have much to say about the right cam/compression specs for an NA build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 04:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks guys, have you any more information on this mitsubishi timing belt i may require for this ?
Its just a mindfield knowing which cams to choose without no recomendations. The only person on this forum who have used cat cams have gone with only fast rod / sports cams. I just would fancy going a bit heavier than this for competition
Old 08-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano

1992 Mitsubishi expo timing belt, same specs, just 1 less tooth and shorter

MD154243 (92 oe mitsu expo t belt)
T204 (gates 92 expo T belt)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton179 View Post
Thanks guys, have you any more information on this mitsubishi timing belt i may require for this ?
Its just a mindfield knowing which cams to choose without no recomendations. The only person on this forum who have used cat cams have gone with only fast rod / sports cams. I just would fancy going a bit heavier than this for competition
I would recommend calling Geoff at colt cams to discuss your requirements, he was great to talk to, and colt cams have a good rep. Perhaps he'll have something that will suit you.

EFB055 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2019, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Can anyone give me the information on using the B series vernier camshaft pulleys on the D-series D16A9 engine please. they are slightly different in some way ?
Thanks for your help so far guys
Old 08-06-2019, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 jlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton179 View Post
Can anyone give me the information on using the B series vernier camshaft pulleys on the D-series D16A9 engine please. they are slightly different in some way ?
Thanks for your help so far guys
the gear on the exhaust camshaft needs to be rotated one tooth clockwise when installing the timing belt - the gear on the intake cam is o.k. - gears should look like this when installed - don't worry about the marks on the opposite side of the gears - just line up the two in the middle with the top of the head - the gears pictured have marks for both the B-series and DOHC ZC, D16A8, D16A9,D16Z5 - the gears you get will most likely have only the B-series marks

Last edited by jlicrx; 08-06-2019 at 06:58 AM.
jlicrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Formerly weebeastie

Rep Power: 13 Soul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to allSoul Engineering is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Good info in this thread. I also recommend calling Geoff at Colt Cams. He ships internationally and makes a great set of cams for the DOHC D. I run a turbo DOHC ZC, use Rocket valve springs and will be running a set of Colt Cams in the near future.

I also agree, search out theAcidBeaver on here. He probably won't reply if you message or email him, but invest the time and read his posts in the ZC forum on here. Excellent information.

I've run quite a few different aftermarket camshafts, and the Colt TriFlow cams are really top notch.

Pretty sweet to see you guys building a DOHC D
Old 08-07-2019, 05:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

My dohc zc, css block, colt 282 cams, dsm 14b, w/7cm^2 turbine housing, stock wastegate on 91. Retune at the end of this month, switching to Bosch 600cc, BP 93. And hoping to crank the boost to 16~18 psi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190617_172442.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1,010.6 KB
ID:	126453  
Old 08-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Check this out. https://www.facebook.com/pg/whoopeed...32491076763428

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in