1984 Civic d16a1 limp mode - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 1984 Civic d16a1 limp mode

I have a 1984 Honda Civic that has a d16a1 swap from an 89 Integra. All the wiring is from the Integra . I replaced and reseated the valves , new MLS head gasket , arp headstuds , and all new ignition system - distributor , wires , plugs , and the car starts and runs but I am throwing a code 4 ( CPS ) and a code 20 (ELD) and the car is cutting rpms at about 3500 and car won't go past about 65 mph . I tried replacing the CPS with one from the junk yard and still have the same problem. Tried a new ecu , same problem still .I've went over all the wiring everything is grounded and plugged in properly , the timing is good .so I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and knows how to fix it . If not I was thinking of going obd1 . Any feedback is helpful.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
paris.edwardsiii2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2017, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Does your civic even have an ELD?
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico58204 View Post
Does your civic even have an ELD?
Not sure , all the wiring is from the Integra . I didn't use any of the civics.where is it located on the Integra?

Old 11-30-2017, 04:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

In the fuse block.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 jlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Borat

code 4 is for the Crank Sensor which is inside the distributor - about the only way to fix it, to keep it from going into limp mode is to replace the distributor

something wrong with the Cylinder Sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft will throw a code 9 and is usually a wiring problem - the sensor seldom fails

Code 20 is generally caused by a bad alternator - usually failed diodes

Last edited by jlicrx; 11-30-2017 at 12:26 PM.
jlicrx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 jlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico58204 View Post
In the fuse block.
the under hood fuse block
Old 11-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlicrx View Post
code 4 is for the Crank Sensor which is inside the distributor - about the only way to fix it, to keep it from going into limp mode is to replace the distributor

something wrong with the Cylinder Sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft will throw a code 9 and is usually a wiring problem - the sensor seldom fails

Code 20 is generally caused by a bad alternator
Alright I'll try a better distributor because I did get a cheap one off eBay so that might be the problem

Old 11-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris.edwardsiii2 View Post
Alright I'll try a better distributor because I did get a cheap one off eBay so that might be the problem

Fixed!!! It was the distributor , it feels much better now .Thanks for your input.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

This is how all threads should be. Problem -> suggestions -> solution.

Not some dickhead noob who posts, gets advice, and never returns with the outcome.

Good on ya OP, glad it’s fixed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in