ZC Power Loss - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
m0bster

Default ZC Power Loss

I just put a ZC in my 91 CRX Si this weekend. It runs great, except for a couple hicups. Sometimes when I step on the gas, the car slows down (not getting gas). It feels like I'm stepping on the brake. Also, the first time I started it, the idle was perfect (just below 1000). Now it's up to 1500 and goes upto 2000. I threw a code on the way to work, but haven't got a chance to see what it was. As soon as I turned the car off/on the engine light turned off. Could this be the TPS sensor? I heard that a lot of ZC's that come from Japan have bad TPS sensors. BTW, the car is completely stock (except for the motor). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2005, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
m0bster

Update: I checked the code...Error Code 1 - O2 Sensor is Bad

Could this be causing the problem?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

simply just a old sensor....

Or your burning something that is fouling it........any smoke?
Black Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2005, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
m0bster

No smoke. It runs great...except for the idle & an occasional hicup in the throttle. Could an 02 sensor cause both of those problems?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series Champ

Rep Power: 15 4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness4drturboD is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to 4drturboD Send a message via Yahoo to 4drturboD

replace your o2, and if you have an idle adjustment screw on your tb double check that. after that i'd go for the tps, most of them do break in shipping.
4drturboD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2005, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series Destruction Master

Rep Power: 36 f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f00ker Send a message via MSN to f00ker Send a message via Yahoo to f00ker

Yep, sounds like you solved it yourself with the o2 sensor triggering the error code. I've had that a few times before, just like you described. Don't buy a generic/bosch one at your local parts store, get a genuine honda one. Its expensive, but it wont fail after 3 weeks.

f00ker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

if the o2 sensor doesn't solve it, check your vacuum lines. i have a auto tranny/dohc & the intake manifold has 2 extra nipples on there (in the back of the manifold - i guess some sort of vacuum for the auto tranny). i thought i plugged it up good but there was just a little vacuum leak. the engine started surging whenever i step on the gas when i take off from a standing still...it would bog down before starting off. then it'll be fine...but after driving for a bit & i park it & let it idle, sometimes the car would start surging at idle.
well check the vacuum lines...
good luck
red97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

berettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

WElcome to the site.
berettagtz117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2005, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
m0bster

Thanks for all of the responses. Great site! I have a bosch O2 sensor that's been sitting around (brand new). I'll give that a shot...I'm sure I'll learn my lesson when it dies a week later, but hey, you never know till you try. I'll slap it in today and let you guys know the outcome. BTW, this ZC is great! I should have dropped this in a lot earlier, but I was afraid of not being able to smog it. I realized later that it's pretty easy to find people to do it thought...just takes $$$.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
m0bster

I put the bosch sensor in, and it fixed the problem. I've been driving the car around for a few days now without any problems. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

im having the exact same problem with my SOHC ZC except i only get the check engine light when im doing like +160 km/h and it idle's mad funny sumtimes. i cant check my rpm's cuz i have a '93 Hatch CX but im gonna check the TPS and Change my sparkplugs thanx everyone
tommy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in