Tuning with Cams? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
superMobile
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tuning with Cams?

This question is one of theory and if it would work in practice.

I have some high lift cams (shaft) for the intake and exhaust for the ZC. Now I was thinking of using my stock intake cams (shaft) with the high lift exhaust cams (shaft). The reasoning behind this is to elimate the problem of overlap which is known to be an issue with dohc engines, and to help the engine breathe better.

What do you guys think?
Will it work?
Will it really be advantageous?

thnx
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-26-2005, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series Destruction Master
 
f00ker's Avatar
 
iTrader: (31)
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Washington
Posts: 6,710
Rep Power: 36 f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f00ker Send a message via MSN to f00ker Send a message via Yahoo to f00ker
Default

(shaft)

O rly?
__________________
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f00ker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier
 
d16a6 power's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 910
Rep Power: 16 d16a6 power is learning the way of the Dd16a6 power is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

Umm you want overlap for higher rpm effeciency and power. Idle will not be as smooth or steady but you will be making more power. Go with both intake and exhaust cams.
d16a6 power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
superMobile
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16a6 power
Umm you want overlap for higher rpm effeciency and power. Idle will not be as smooth or steady but you will be making more power. Go with both intake and exhaust cams.
Thanks for the suggestion. However, could you answer as to what effects using the stock cam on the intake with the high cam on the exaust have?

thnx
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0 J50-CRX is nobody
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superMobile
This question is one of theory and if it would work in practice.

I have some high lift cams (shaft) for the intake and exhaust for the ZC. Now I was thinking of using my stock intake cams (shaft) with the high lift exhaust cams (shaft). The reasoning behind this is to elimate the problem of overlap which is known to be an issue with dohc engines, and to help the engine breathe better.

What do you guys think?
Will it work?
Will it really be advantageous?

thnx
the engine needs to breath in b4 it can breath out! why reduce what it can suck in and allow more out, surley your just gonna loose a load of back preasure! i got crespo stage 4 gams on my D16A9 DOHC and they did it a treat!
J50-CRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
superMobile
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J50-CRX
the engine needs to breath in b4 it can breath out! why reduce what it can suck in and allow more out, surley your just gonna loose a load of back preasure! i got crespo stage 4 gams on my D16A9 DOHC and they did it a treat!
thanx. I see what your are saying. respect!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier
 
d16a6 power's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 910
Rep Power: 16 d16a6 power is learning the way of the Dd16a6 power is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

You need to take in more air and fuel to make more power so if you left the intake stock it wouldnt do a whole lot.
d16a6 power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet
 
90zcrx's Avatar
 
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 337
Rep Power: 16 90zcrx will become famous soon enough90zcrx will become famous soon enough90zcrx will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default

ok, you want more overlap if your NA so the cylinder acts like a "vacum" and sucks the exhaust out.

You want very little overlap with a turbo so your not blowing through the cylinder, but rather trapping it in and cramming as much as possible.
__________________
Yellow '90 Si
JDM ZC motor Si tranny
I/H/E
Short Shifter
3" Drop

*New Setup*
Golden Eagle Sleeves
Endyn Pistons
Eagle Rods
ACT 6puck
XACT 11.5lb Flywheel
Balanced
Quaife LSD
Jimfab Traction Bar
90zcrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet
 
90zcrx's Avatar
 
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 337
Rep Power: 16 90zcrx will become famous soon enough90zcrx will become famous soon enough90zcrx will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superMobile
Thanks for the suggestion. However, could you answer as to what effects using the stock cam on the intake with the high cam on the exaust have?

thnx
To this, I would say nothing would be benifited from it. Your still not allowing more air in (which is the whole idea) but just keeping it at a stock level...stock air in - stock combustion - stock power. But you'll let that stock amount of air out really nice :/
__________________
Yellow '90 Si
JDM ZC motor Si tranny
I/H/E
Short Shifter
3" Drop

*New Setup*
Golden Eagle Sleeves
Endyn Pistons
Eagle Rods
ACT 6puck
XACT 11.5lb Flywheel
Balanced
Quaife LSD
Jimfab Traction Bar
90zcrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 432
Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default

Did you buy them new or did you obtain them from someone..........

allot of the stage 1/2 (marketed) cams are really stock ZC specs depending on the company..........

I'm not saying that all are but allot are......


Stock ZC cams are pretty aggressive as is....with alot of duration.....


Just a heads up I guess..............
Black Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2005, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
superMobile
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90zcrx
ok, you want more overlap if your NA so the cylinder acts like a "vacum" and sucks the exhaust out.

You want very little overlap with a turbo so your not blowing through the cylinder, but rather trapping it in and cramming as much as possible.

Planning on turboing, so this would be good then. thnx
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2005, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
superMobile
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1tegZC
Did you buy them new or did you obtain them from someone..........

allot of the stage 1/2 (marketed) cams are really stock ZC specs depending on the company..........

I'm not saying that all are but allot are......


Stock ZC cams are pretty aggressive as is....with alot of duration.....


Just a heads up I guess..............
got em.

I check the specs. thnx
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


iconAll times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:15 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.