Machining the OEM crank pulley - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Machining the OEM crank pulley

Hi everyone.

I wanted to get some opinions on machining the powersteering and AC sections off the OEM crank pulley? The bottom end will be getting balanced, and i don't believe the dampener is affected by machining off those two belt sections.

I'd prefer to buy an aftermarket solution, but the DOHC ZC has the largest alternator diameter and yields the best advantage when driving my JRSC (A regular D series crank pulley would under drive it).

Custom ATI options are expensive.

Any thoughts, experiences or alternatives?

Pic for attention, TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Get it balanced afterwards and it'll be all good

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Purely for looks, no real performance gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Purely for looks, no real performance gains.
It also makes installing/removing the engine a lot easier. I figure it'll be a similar principal to getting a lighter flywheel? less rotational mass would give an increase in response (if not power)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDNA View Post
Get it balanced afterwards and it'll be all good
Ta!

Old 08-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

take 12 lbs off the flywheel, farther distance from centerline makes centerline.

Taking maybe a pound off the crank pulley, close to the crank centerline = barely any change in MOI, Moment Of Inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
take 12 lbs off the flywheel, farther distance from centerline makes centerline.

Taking maybe a pound off the crank pulley, close to the crank centerline = barely any change in MOI, Moment Of Inertia
Yep, makes sense.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

It's hard to find a place that will mess with a crank pulley since it is rubber bonded (good) or solid and light and not worth doing since you need something to dampen the harmonic vibrations that occur when the engine is running. I'd suggest adding an ATI damper to the engine.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I cut mine off the F22A6 with an angle grinder and a 1/16th cutting disc, then cleaned it up nice and flush.

Ran it for over 30,000km with a balance shaft delete and never had a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
I cut mine off the F22A6 with an angle grinder and a 1/16th cutting disc, then cleaned it up nice and flush.

Ran it for over 30,000km with a balance shaft delete and never had a problem.
Jesus haha. I would atleast get it balanced afterwards, if not for any tangible benefit... Just for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
It's hard to find a place that will mess with a crank pulley since it is rubber bonded (good) or solid and light and not worth doing since you need something to dampen the harmonic vibrations that occur when the engine is running. I'd suggest adding an ATI damper to the engine.
I called ATI, but they don't do an off the shelf D series crank pulley that doesn't underdrive the alternator (and my supercharger). It would work, but i would lose maybe 4psi. They do custom pulleys, but they're $$$$$$$$$$$

The rubber bonded side looks like it's only on the engine side (the side that doesn't get shaven). I might get a spare one and give it a crack.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Do you live in an area that the d16a6 crank pulley without power steering not readily available?
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherchris View Post
Do you live in an area that the d16a6 crank pulley without power steering not readily available?
We didn't get the a6 here in our civics. And i'm pretty sure it's smaller than the DOHC ZC?

Old 09-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
Jesus haha. I would atleast get it balanced afterwards, if not for any tangible benefit... Just for peace of mind.

Not a bad idea at all. Hehe. Just wanted to share what I experienced to hopefully help out.

But yeah, not a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in