SOHC high comp pistons - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default SOHC high comp pistons

Hi everyone,

i've been building a JRSC DOHC ZC which has been running for a while, but i've taken it off the road to go with forged rods/pistons as well as some head work and aftercoolers.

Anyway i'm trying to find a piston to suit my application. What i've found so far is the 75.5mm Wiseco d16a1/ZC piston which drops the compression to 9.1 in a d16a1 (i'm waiting from specs from race engineering to confirm what compression ratio i'll get in my ZC). If it's a 9.1 CR in a d16a1 though, my guess is i'll be getting high 8's CR in my blacktop ZC which is too low IMO.

Another alternative that i've read you can use it high compression SOHC pistons. Specifically, i've got my eye on CP Carillo D16a6 pistons 11.0:1 CR, which if i'm using the online calculator that's floating around yields me a 9.5:1 CR which is what i'm after.

Does anyone have experience with using high compression SOHC pistons in the blacktop ZC? I wish thezcr was still around....

Pics for attention:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

@ The_Acid_Beaver, i'm looking for you buddy haha. Tried to shoot you a PM and say gday but you've exceeded your PM storage limit.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

you would do better sending him an email...
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Seems i need to make a few more posts before i'm allowed. Didn't think of that though, thanks for the tip.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Iirc, lurker, from thezcr, used high comp z6 pistons (super tech maybe) I know it was for the z6, and not the a6.

To.contact matt, all you have to do is view his profile, go under contact and it should drop down to his email.
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

If Matt isn't too busy, and I know he is swamped with Funk's race car issues.

But I have been texting him updates on his transmission I'm building

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 07:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Oversize Goldwing pistons?

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 STRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFB055 View Post
Hi everyone,

i've been building a JRSC DOHC ZC which has been running for a while, but i've taken it off the road to go with forged rods/pistons as well as some head work and aftercoolers.

Anyway i'm trying to find a piston to suit my application. What i've found so far is the 75.5mm Wiseco d16a1/ZC piston which drops the compression to 9.1 in a d16a1 (i'm waiting from specs from race engineering to confirm what compression ratio i'll get in my ZC). If it's a 9.1 CR in a d16a1 though, my guess is i'll be getting high 8's CR in my blacktop ZC which is too low IMO.

Another alternative that i've read you can use it high compression SOHC pistons. Specifically, i've got my eye on CP Carillo D16a6 pistons 11.0:1 CR, which if i'm using the online calculator that's floating around yields me a 9.5:1 CR which is what i'm after.

Does anyone have experience with using high compression SOHC pistons in the blacktop ZC? I wish thezcr was still around....

Pics for attention:

very nice set up, i respect clean and proper builds, youve accomplished that for sure.

i have no info as far as what pistons are the right pistons for a dohc zc.

i run je 11:1 pistons in my built a6. acid beaver would be the guy to ask about what pistons you can and should run.

can i ask who makes that header ? did it fit with the factory crossmember or are you running an aftermarket crossmember/traction bar system ?

have an instagram ?

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubie View Post
Iirc, lurker, from thezcr, used high comp z6 pistons (super tech maybe) I know it was for the z6, and not the a6.

To.contact matt, all you have to do is view his profile, go under contact and it should drop down to his email.
I'm just looking through the CP piston catalogue, and it looks like z6 pistons are about 0.5:1 less compression than the a6. So would get me about 9.0:1 which isn't bad.

Yeah it says i need to work up 20 posts before i have permission to contact members by email.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
Oversize Goldwing pistons?
Hmm, my engine builder just suggested to look through catalogues and see what pistons are the right size. I worry that the valve reliefs would be at the wrong angle or not deep enough or something like that.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON View Post
very nice set up, i respect clean and proper builds, youve accomplished that for sure.

i have no info as far as what pistons are the right pistons for a dohc zc.

i run je 11:1 pistons in my built a6. acid beaver would be the guy to ask about what pistons you can and should run.

can i ask who makes that header ? did it fit with the factory crossmember or are you running an aftermarket crossmember/traction bar system ?

have an instagram ?

stratton.
Yep, you can find me on Insta my tag is the same as my plate 'efb055'.

The header is an eBay special for a B20, it's a stainless construction and the pipes seem to be put together ok. The flange was mild steel though which didn't matter, because i cut it off and plasma cut my own header flange to suit the ZC

New flange, the pipes needed to be pulled with clamps... The port spacing is noticeably different between the two motors. The dohc zc has equal ports, whereas the B seems to have the outer two closer to each other.

And I had to modify the downpipe to clear the 4wd transfer case:

Old 08-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Nice, we didn't get the RT4WD sedans or DC Integras here. Just the wagons.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
Nice, we didn't get the RT4WD sedans or DC Integras here. Just the wagons.
Same as here in Oz, it's a grey import.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

for good quality high comp pistons, you could try PG6 honda pistons and shave the head down to match your wanted compression.

I think there are still one or two companies making adjustable cam gears to match the head shave.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
for good quality high comp pistons, you could try PG6 honda pistons and shave the head down to match your wanted compression.

I think there are still one or two companies making adjustable cam gears to match the head shave.
I've got JUN adjustable cam gears because i'm running bisi cams... What difference does shaving the head make to the design of the cam gear? Is it just that you need to be able to adjust them to optimise valve to piston timing/clearance?

Old 08-01-2016, 03:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

fucking drooling over that exhaust
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

Quote:
Hmm, my engine builder just suggested to look through catalogues and see what pistons are the right size. I worry that the valve reliefs would be at the wrong angle or not deep enough or something like that.
I only mention it because I saw an older civic (like EB chassis or thereabouts) running some older Goldwing pistons.

Quote:
I've got JUN adjustable cam gears because i'm running bisi cams... What difference does shaving the head make to the design of the cam gear? Is it just that you need to be able to adjust them to optimise valve to piston timing/clearance?
As you shave the head the distance between the crank and the cam changes, so the timing requirements also change slightly. I can't remember exactly, but I think you have to slightly retard the cam timing as you mill the head down to keep the mechanical timing in it's optimal place. Or something along those lines.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. I have end of work day brain.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
fucking drooling over that exhaust
It was a bit of a C*** to get working (it also fouled my top radiator hose position, but it looks pretty neat now that it's in there. I'm hoping it performs well when i go back to the dyno.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
I only mention it because I saw an older civic (like EB chassis or thereabouts) running some older Goldwing pistons.
Cool, i'll have a look into it.

Quote:
As you shave the head the distance between the crank and the cam changes, so the timing requirements also change slightly. I can't remember exactly, but I think you have to slightly retard the cam timing as you mill the head down to keep the mechanical timing in it's optimal place. Or something along those lines.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. I have end of work day brain.
Oh right, it makes sense... I'd guess the tensioner would pickup the slack too.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

as you reduce the head height via shaving, you want to adjust the cam gear so the center stays lined up, but the gear teeth are allowed to slowly roll clockwise as it gets shaved.

generally its less than 2 degrees of affective movement, but that can make a significant impact (positive or negative) on how you can time it.

and I pulled that 2 degrees movement out of my ass. it can be smaller or larger obviuously based on how much is shaved.

but then, shaving the head tightens up the combustion chamber and generally improves chamber burn events

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in