considering DOHC ZC in place of Y7. thoughts? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Default considering DOHC ZC in place of Y7. thoughts?

Hey all,
I've come across a DOHC ZC for cheap cheap and am considering picking it up to replace the Y7 in my '89 CRX.

I've done a little work to my Y7 and it's running @ about 12:1 CR and I've got a delta 272 cam.
Thing is, I'm tired of the lack of driveability on this frankenmotor I've assembled, am having a hard time tuning it, and am afraid that it's not all that fast.

So, would the ZC be a decent swap? From what I understand, it will just bolt right up to everything I've already got (minus IM) and will even run off of my chipped PM6 ECU. I'm also at the point that whatever my next buildup consists of, it will eventually be turbo. I want to build a very driveable motor that will get my car into the 13's.

any thoughts? side by side how do DOHCs compare to 1.6L SOHC non-vtecs?

-ic
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2005, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaos325

I have a D16A1 with ZC cams and I've smoked plently on y7, a6, y8, and z6. Im preping up my turbo setup for about $1000 and am looking at maybe 250whp.

check out the pile, make offers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chaos325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Well, ill outline all the zc's and then the y8 for comparison

JDM DOHC ZC: 135HP
USDM DOHC D16A1: 113HP
EDM DOHC D16A8/9: Not too sure

USDM D16Y8: 127HP

there were 2 ZC's, the carbeurated and FI, the dual carbuerated ZC stood at 108HP. I'd say the ZC has a lot of potential myself, it has a low comp already at 9.3:1 on both the US and JDM for sure, with flat pistons on top of that. It's got decent sized ports, My personal opinion, get domed pistons and a set of rods, up comp to 9.5:1 or so and boost it, it love to see that!

The main difference i saw between DOHC B's + ZC and the SOHC Y motors was the port size, it is a bit bigger, than the SOHC, and it would explain the power gain.
slowcivic2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2005, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
havent you seen my MOVIES?

whitemike It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to whitemike

i had a dohc ZC in my rex for almost two year... very fun
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in