'89 Integra swap into an '86 Civic Si - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2005, 03:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
frank5079

Default '89 Integra swap into an '86 Civic Si

Hi everyone; I'm trying to help my brother with this swap.....we've gutted the interiors of both cars(donor teg and his civic) and are proceeding to pull the main harnesses of both to swap onto his civic. Any of you guys have any tips or suggestions with this swap?? I've had no problems with my swap('87 teg into a 1st gen crx) but this one is definitely more involved...ie electronic advance, vss issues, and so on.

My brother got the cluster from a CRX Hf model; the speedo in it looks almost like the teg speedo save for the fact that the teg speedo has a bigger trip meter. Here's the problem, neither rex nor teg speedo is compatible with the civic speedo. Did Honda ever offer the 1300 hf motor in a regular 3rd gen civic and if so make a speedo with the vss??

Please advise.

Frank
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2005, 06:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

visit www.redpepperracing.com. they have all the answers...
but anyways, did you try to use the 88-91 civic vss module?
Old 10-14-2005, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticchmbr
visit www.redpepperracing.com. they have all the answers...
but anyways, did you try to use the 88-91 civic vss module?

www.redpepperracing.com is the shit
Black Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Here's the problem, neither rex nor teg speedo is compatible with the civic speedo.
What do you mean exactly by not compatible? Have you tried to mount the VSS from the Teg or CRX HF into the Civic speedo? I know the faces look different. I haven't taken a Civic cluster apart but it would be worth a try to see if the VSS just bolts onto the speedo as in the Teg/CRX. The VSS units are slightly different in size(Teg/CRX). Then just ground one side and the other end to the ECU. You can actually use the ground within the cluster and just one wire to the ECU. It works in a CRX. JS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

strudel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2005, 04:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
frank5079

Quote:
What do you mean exactly by not compatible?
The CRX and teg speedos are almost identical save for the fact that the teg trip meter has bigger numbers and hangs lower; both trip meters will interchange, but as far as the Civic speedo, it is about 1/8th of an inch narrower than either teg or crx speedo and when you try and mount the civic trip meter onto the crx or teg speedo, the gears don't quite line up or mesh to engage. You can try and work it to mesh up, but when that happens, you can't reset the trip meter because it hits the round part of the speedo.....

My only recourse for now is to use the teg speedo behind the civic gauge face(the two small mounting holes where the two small screws that hold the face to the gauge will have to be widened slightly) and leave out the trip meter, as well as to cut two small holes in back of the cluster for the vss wires.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

OK, I understand what you mean but that bodes the question of why would you want to use the Teg or CRX speedo at all?? Just use the VSS that you have, either from the HF or the Teg, and install it on the Civic speedo. If the Civic speedo is a bit narrower it should be no problem to shim the VSS so it is centered.

Just remember the VSS is just a wee bracket with a reed switch in it. As long as it sits in the general location and can get the pulses from the speedo head you should be OK. Give it a try. As far as the wiring goes it is easy as well. One ground to anywhere and the other to the proper pinout in the ECU. If you have to cut a couple of holes in the back of the cluster no big deal.

Why do you want to use the Teg/CRX trip meter? Just stick with the original speedo combination. You may have to take the trip meter off to mount the VSS though. Since the engines in the 3G Civic and 1G CRX are similar as well as wheel sizes the probability of the speedo being off very much would be slim. I have the cluster from a CRX with the Teg transmission and it reads perfectly. The tire/rim combinations were similar. Just my thoughts.

If you do end up having a great differential on the speedo versus actual ther are ways to regear the system to work but first try my suggestion. If it doesn't work then go to plan B. If you need some pictures of the speedos and info then PM me with an e-mail address and I can send you a buch of stuff to help out. JS

You can try this link. They are having trouble with the galleries so the pictures may not work but read it anyway. http://www.redpepperracing.com/forum...hl=speedometer

Old 10-18-2005, 04:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
frank5079

Strudel, are you saying that I can use the Civic speedo and just attach the vss from either teg or crx onto it?

Why do you want to use the Teg/CRX trip meter? Just stick with the original speedo combination. You may have to take the trip meter off to mount the VSS though.

The plastic bracket that mounts the two wiring points for the vss is a tad wider than the civic speedo housing and like you mentioned, would interfere with being able to mount the trip meter.

I followed your link to RPR, but the photos don't show up.....
Old 10-18-2005, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Strudel, are you saying that I can use the Civic speedo and just attach the vss from either teg or crx onto it?
Yes, basically. As I said, I have not taken one of those clusters apart. I suppose next time at the wreckers I could open one up and have a peek. If you have a picture post it and I will try and comment or email it to me.
Quote:
The plastic bracket that mounts the two wiring points for the vss is a tad wider than the civic speedo housing and like you mentioned, would interfere with being able to mount the trip meter.
If the VSS is wider just shim it. Why does it interfere with the trip meter? On the CRX/Teg you have to remove the trip meter to get the VSS out and in. But it mounts flush with the back of the speedo head. If it is that different then you may be in trouble.
In any case, send me an email and I will send you some pictures to look at for comparison.

Quote:
I followed your link to RPR, but the photos don't show up
I realize the galleries may be off but I have all the pictures. If your email provider can handle large files I can send you some of them. JS

Old 10-18-2005, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Here are a couple of pictures to help. The HF VSS is a metal plate and the Integra one has plastic sides. The Integra tripmeter has to be removed to take the VSS out. It is also larger than the CRX tripmeter. JS

CRX HF VSS on left and CRX Si Speedo on right with tripmeter removed. Straight exchange of VSS unit.

Integra VSS side view

Old 10-19-2005, 04:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
frank5079

Quote:
If the VSS is wider just shim it. Why does it interfere with the trip meter? On the CRX/Teg you have to remove the trip meter to get the VSS out and in. But it mounts flush with the back of the speedo head. If it is that different then you may be in trouble.
In any case, send me an email and I will send you some pictures to look at for comparison.
The Civic trip meter is slightly narrower and when you try to line it up with the CRX or teg speedo drive gear, the trip meter will hit against the round metal "drum" of the speedo when you try to reset it. As I said above, I may have to forego installing the trip meter just because of that interference problem.

I would appreciate any pics you have...just shoot them my [email protected]

Thanks,
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in