Remember to tighten your Rocker End Pivot Bolts - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2016, 04:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Remember to tighten your Rocker End Pivot Bolts

This is my mainly stock daily driver with 260k miles.
I started to hear rattle from my valve train so decided to adjust valve lash.

What I didn't expect to see is this:

I also noticed that five other bolts were loose and two had already eaten the threads beyond repair.
So time to swap another ZC under the hood and replace the damaged cylinder head of original engine at some point.

Going to threadlock them on future builds.
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Threadlock seems a bit extreme... What size wrench are you using to do the job?

I can't even recall if there is a torque spec for them, but it is farely minimal...

Always check your bolts again after doing all valves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fodo View Post
Threadlock seems a bit extreme... What size wrench are you using to do the job?

I can't even recall if there is a torque spec for them, but it is farely minimal...

Always check your bolts again after doing all valves.
17 mm socket and 64 Nm according FSM.
I think you are mixing the rocker arm locking nuts (25 Nm) and rocker end pivot bolts (64 Nm).

You just need to remove rockers and / or cams in order to tighten them.
I just removed rockers and turned cams so that lobes were not in the way.

Let's add some value to the post and add the correct valve lash numbers for stock cams:
Intake 0,13 - 0,17 mm (0.005 - 0.007 in)
Exhaust 0,15 - 0,19 mm (0.006 - 0.008 in)

Old 03-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Ha! It took you to mention 17mm for me to re-read the OP.

I read this and DIDN'T realize you were talking about those.

I thought you were talking about the valve adjustment lock nuts ONLY. Fail reading. Also only noticed the rocker in the picture and kept scrolling lol.

But 25Nm is under 20 foot pounds, and "most" torque wrenchs don't go that low. Hence why I said I don't recall reading that torque spec off hand.

Either way, now that I caught onto what you're saying, this may be the same rattling sound I am hearing in my CRV! (Which I also just adjusted the valves for as well lol)

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2016, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Ouch. That's the first time I've ever seen that.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2016, 05:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

15 valve mode gets about 40.6 MPG.

Web Camshafts 35-030 (115/148e)
OBD1 IM with RDX injectors, AEM SRI
Small-tube 4-2-1 header and 2.25" exhaust
Neptune RTP
Old 04-03-2016, 03:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

LOL!

What results have you found with those Web cams? I haven't had a set that I've really liked the results from.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2016, 01:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
LOL!

What results have you found with those Web cams? I haven't had a set that I've really liked the results from.
They feel quite stockish, no measured results.

Got the engine swapped last weekend but have to retune it and figure out why new one is running more rough.

Swapped cams and complete IM setup over to new engine and switched to lighter JUN flywheel (5 kg / 11 lbs).
Advertisement

Tags
zc rocker end pivot bolts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in