D16a1 questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16a1 questions

I bought a civic with a d16a1 in it, it's supposedly got some stuff done to it, I have no clue I'm gonna pull the motor so I can fix the obvious problems and find any other unknown issues. I know absolutely nothing about this motor other than its one of the DOHC d series engines and that most of the parts are different than a DOHC ZC.

I know it needs cam gears what all engines can I use the cam gears off of if there is any?
Got_Hatch? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 flat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

If you're looking for adjustable f22 single cam gears work, but the belt does'nt ride on center without machining.

If stock gears is what your after then d16a1 gears.
flat_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Any f22 gear? What has to be machined to get the belt to run center? Or will it hurt to jet let them run off to the side?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

why does it need camgears? are they damaged?

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yea one of them got bent.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 flat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

f22a sohc from 94-97 accord.

The back where it bottoms out on the cam needs a little less then a eighth inch milled off. It has to be milled parallel to the face or it'll wobble.

In my avatar you can see the belt, it rides right on the edge. I've been running that way for 10,000 miles. If that picture is to small I can probably find a larger one.

Also the f22 timing marks are off for the d16a1, so you'd have to use the holes in the cam to set the mechanical timing.

Last edited by flat_; 02-17-2016 at 09:33 AM.
flat_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Unless it has aftermarket cams, just use stock cam gears.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Unless it has aftermarket cams, just use stock cam gears.
It seems like unless I can find some d16a1 cam gears here locally i can get the adjustable ones for about the same price as stock ones, but I do only HAVE to have one stock one because only one is damaged.

Also im just right down the road from you in Greeneville lol
Old 02-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Honda 14210PG6020 Timing Driven Gear Engine Timing Camshaft Sprocket | eBay

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2016, 06:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you.

My next question is in my short time researching these motors I have seen a couple references to a carbureted version of this engine is that a real thing or were they all fuel injected?
Old 02-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

did you try searching d16a1 carburetor?

Build what you have!

Old 02-19-2016, 04:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 baker  is accepted as part of the communitybaker  is accepted as part of the communitybaker  is accepted as part of the communitybaker  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

To the best of my knowledge, they (d16a1) were all fuel injected.
There is a carb DOHC Zc out there though, maybe they were referencing that?
['96 Civic Dx: Daily work Beater]
baker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
-TJ
D-series lover

Rep Power: 16 -TJ is learning the way of the D-TJ is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_Hatch? View Post
My next question is in my short time researching these motors I have seen a couple references to a carbureted version of this engine is that a real thing or were they all fuel injected?
In the US they were all fuel injected. The 86-87 has a vacuum advance distributor, the 88-89 has an electronic advance distributor much like all the 88-91 Civic/CRX/Integra stuff. One small difference being the cam position sensor is divorced and located on the exhaust cam.

The only difference between the 88-89 A1 and the ZC is *ding* those cam gears. The ZC's came with 17t crank/34t cam where the A1 is 20/40. The crank snout might also be a different diameter...I'm not sure on that one. At the time I wanted adjustable cam gears 15 years ago it was not known (by me at least) about the F22 option, so I made my own. At the time, getting a ZC setup pretty much meant buying an entire ZC.
-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2016, 07:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TJ View Post
In the US they were all fuel injected. The 86-87 has a vacuum advance distributor, the 88-89 has an electronic advance distributor much like all the 88-91 Civic/CRX/Integra stuff. One small difference being the cam position sensor is divorced and located on the exhaust cam.

The only difference between the 88-89 A1 and the ZC is *ding* those cam gears. The ZC's came with 17t crank/34t cam where the A1 is 20/40. The crank snout might also be a different diameter...I'm not sure on that one. At the time I wanted adjustable cam gears 15 years ago it was not known (by me at least) about the F22 option, so I made my own. At the time, getting a ZC setup pretty much meant buying an entire ZC.
Is the ecu needed to run the vacuum advance distributor? If so I will just go msd box because I plan to carb this engine for the shear I want to reason lol.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 jlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Boratjlicrx smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_Hatch? View Post
Is the ecu needed to run the vacuum advance distributor? If so I will just go msd box because I plan to carb this engine for the shear I want to reason lol.
if you are going to carb it, you don't need an ECU at all
Old 02-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlicrx View Post
yes you do.

the ecu runs the gauge cluster

EDIT if its a 88+ civic.

if its 87 or older, it probably doesnt.

what car and year and trim is this civic of yours OP? you havent said

Build what you have!

Old 02-19-2016, 11:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlicrx View Post
yes you do.

the ecu runs the gauge cluster

EDIT if its a 88+ civic.

if its 87 or older, it probably doesnt.

what car and year and trim is this civic of yours OP? you havent said

It's a 1986 civic hatch pretty sure it's an si.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 arny213 is learning the way of the Darny213 is learning the way of the D

here's my link its a good read for your build
https://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-...-clean-up.html

Quote:
Posted by KUNGFUHUSTLER
Holy isht man! You pulled this off faster then a $20 bill in a titty bar! big props to you!

Re:ive been running the everliving *** out of this thing ALOT. beat 3 bikes in the past 2 days alone. probably nearing over 50 hwy pulls lol..still holding up awesome! its a wierd feeling because im use to having to replace the tranny by now. CG ftmfw!
---------
93 civic hatch d16 street car [email protected]
arny213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in