Dohc zc valve springs...who else besides supertech? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Default Dohc zc valve springs...who else besides supertech?

I'm realizing with the age of this motor, support is kind of dwindling....in my searching so far all I've been able to find is supertech or blox. And honestly, THE ONLY reason I said blox is so hopefully no one brings it up lol.

Just got the call today from the machinist about my cyl head, and as I suspected it does need exhaust guides.

He had mentioned it would be wise to upgrade my springs for the cams I'll be running (colt tri flow).

So, in my searching those look like the only 2 readily available options. Hopefully some of you guys can chime in with some recommendations.
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Bisimoto:
ZC Pro spring and retainer kit

Rocket Motorsports:
ZC Single

Cat Cams:
S90015 = valve spring (PAC Racing Springs)
99412 = retainer

Crespo Cams:
SP-S-HDZC = springs (Sweden Oteva Steel)

dbilas:

Some more rare springs are from P.S.I. (power service imazu) and Mugen of course.

Last edited by lex; 10-18-2015 at 09:00 PM.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2015, 04:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Bisimoto:
ZC Pro spring and retainer kit

Rocket Motorsports:
ZC Single

Cat Cams:
S90015 = valve spring (PAC Racing Springs)
99412 = retainer

Crespo Cams:
SP-S-HDZC = springs (Sweden Oteva Steel)

dbilas:

Some more rare springs are from P.S.I. (power service imazu) and Mugen of course.
DOHC ZC not SOHC.

as in two cams

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 06:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

From looking at the specs from ST
SPR-TS1015-ZC

77lbs @34.50mm (1.358")

It looks like you can sneak H22 springs or B18A/B18B valve springs In there.

The BC springs are
70lbs @ 1.400

But compressing them by .040 should put you in the 80lb range.

Now the retainers.. I can not say, Id have to look and measure to see if the stock retainers would have to work.
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2015, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

This was an interesting read a while back

https://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-...e-springs.html

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 lex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Boratlex smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
DOHC ZC not SOHC.

as in two cams
Strange comment from your side indeed, did you even bother to open any of the links I provided?

All valve springs mentioned in my previous post were for Double OverHead Camshaft version of ZC engine.
I don't question your knowledge on the matter but I have personally used two of the ones I posted on my engines along the SuperTech ones mentioned on the original post.

Just for clarifications sake DOHC models of ZC are the following:
ZC1, ZC, D16A1, D16A3, D16A8, D16A9, D16Z5
Old 10-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!

He noticed the word "single" and assumed sohc but it ment single spring.as in Not a duel spring app.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Strange comment from your side indeed, did you even bother to open any of the links I provided?

All valve springs mentioned in my previous post were for Double OverHead Camshaft version of ZC engine.
I don't question your knowledge on the matter but I have personally used two of the ones I posted on my engines along the SuperTech ones mentioned on the original post.

Just for clarifications sake DOHC models of ZC are the following:
ZC1, ZC, D16A1, D16A3, D16A8, D16A9, D16Z5
I did not click them. I assumed they were all sohc because I was not aware bitchy moto supported dohc zc's.

My apologies

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2015, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano

Thanx for the input guys, repped who I could....need to spread rep before I can get some of you other guys .

The Crespo option looked good, saw that they were only rated for like 7500 rpms....which...could work...it is a ball and socket design....sounds like 8/8.5k rpm is about max. (Stated from a trusted forum member)

I did notice in the Crespo description it mentioned a max lift of like 12.5mm, so I will need to find the specs on the tri flow cam. Still undecided I guess, but once I find the specs for the cam lift that should help out.

And I was reading the 4g63 thread as that was being discussed, very cool and innovative work to say the least, just not sure if that's am option I wish to pursue right now.

Last edited by theotherchris; 10-17-2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Also something to think and ponder: Cat Cams lists the same valve springs (PAC*S90015) for few other engines.

Peugeot:
106 S16 206 S16
TU5JP engine
JP4 engine

CITRO╩N:
Saxo VTS C2 VTS
TU5J4 engine

MAZDA MX-5:
B6 engine
Old 10-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubie View Post
Thanx for the input guys, repped who I could....need to spread rep before I can get some of you other guys .

The Crespo option looked good, saw that they were only rated for like 7500 rpms....which...could work...it is a ball and socket design....sounds like 8/8.5k rpm is about max. (Stated from a trusted forum member)

I did notice in the Crespo description it mentioned a max lift of like 12.5mm, so I will need to find the specs on the tri flow cam. Still undecided I guess, but once I find the specs for the cam lift that should help out.

And I was reading the 4g63 thread as that was being discussed, very cool and innovative work to say the least, just not sure if that's am option I wish to pursue right now.
You're ballsy if youre gonna run a ball and socket lifter train past 8000rpms
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 07:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Ya, it sounds sketchy...and I more than likely will never, intentionally Rev it that high. Realistically 7.5k

Side note...got a reply from colt cams, and as it turns out, the cams I purchased second hand, are in fact NOT the tri flows, been a very irritating morning...
Old 10-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Ya, it sounds sketchy...and I more than likely will never, intentionally Rev it that high. Realistically 7.5k

Side note...got a reply from colt cams, and as it turns out, the cams I purchased second hand, are in fact NOT the tri flows, been a very irritating morning...

8k is no problem. I run that with stock cams and stock springs. Acid beaver likes to recommend 8500 as the limit for the DOHC ZC.

I think any of the springs mentioned would work fine. I have a set of rocket's ready to go in when the time comes. They are single spring, and made to rev to 10,000(not that I would). They were really cheap too, when he had a black friday sale last year(something like 70-80 shipped)

The Colt cams you bought off me are the race cams, not the tri-flows... I looked at the for sale add and it looks like I edited all the content in it once everything sold(in feb) so I cannot confirm how I had it posted, but I'm certain I did not advertise as the tri-flow(only mention this, as I don't want to think I sold you something they weren't, not to start a fight about the parts.)

I'm sorry you thought they were the tri-flows but I'm certain you will like the way they perform!!!!
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

It's all good man, I mean , how long ago was that lol, I don't remember y I thought they were the tri flows, but I'm still very eager to see how well they perform!

I spent a couple hours yesterday searching trying to decide which springs to.go with, ...FINALLY found a thread on thezcr where members had crespo spring failures. So, rocket springs it is!
Old 10-23-2015, 04:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna

Quote:
It's all good man, I mean , how long ago was that lol, I don't remember y I thought they were the tri flows, but I'm still very eager to see how well they perform!

I spent a couple hours yesterday searching trying to decide which springs to.go with, ...FINALLY found a thread on thezcr where members had crespo spring failures. So, rocket springs it is!

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing the results!!!!!
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Hi, I am from Spain and I feel I have to say something about this matter:
Don't buy Supertech double springs (well, they are not anymore double springs, and since about 2 years ago they come in packs of single valve springs too). They are not made specifically for the ZC DOCH. I can assure this.

I bought a set of these 2 years ago, and when I received these were a total failure.
1) I checked heights, and there were variations of nearly 1mm within all of them!
2) They were not straight (I checked them with a precision square). Out of safety range.
3) And lastly, the length of these were not intended for a ZC DOHC! These came with super thick valve spring seats, to increase the pressure...

They seemed more like B18A springs than anything else... I returned them.

So, I contacted with Rocket Motorsports, and asked them to make a specifical springs for the ZC. I worked along with them during some weeks, helping with sizes, valve spring pressures, etc. And after some months of waiting, they released the new single valve springs. With a conservative valve spring pressure, but enough to hold any high lift and duration camshaft till the real "safety" revolution range of any ZC DOHC: which is about 8500rpm to be safe, despite the high performance camshaft can make more power above this range. Anyway, these new springs can hold higher rpm range without trouble.

I hope this helps.
Waff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2015, 05:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

I will also recommend the new Rocket springs. They are perfect, IMO, as some research I've done shows that the stock springs in good shape should actually be fine for pretty much any cam you'd run up to reasonable RPMs.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Let's do some boring knowledge sharing again.

Mugen ZC valve springs:

14761-XB2-00RA (Intake)
Free lenght: 48 mm ▒0.2 mm
Weight: 40 g
Gap between coils:
- 31 mm = 1,50 mm
- 28 mm = 0,05 mm

14762-XB2-00RA (Exhaust)
Free lenght: 46 mm ▒0.2 mm
Weight: 43 g
Gap between coils:
- 33 mm = 1,50 mm
- 28 mm = 0,05 mm

Old 10-29-2015, 06:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Must spread rep.....good info lex!

Matt!!!!! I've texted you a couple times now with no reply...you giving out fake numbers again? Hahaha
Old 10-30-2015, 02:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
lex
D-series lover

Let's see if I can get the Supertech dual springs and Bisimoto springs measured at some point.

[HINT]Someone else could measure the Rocket Motorsport springs.[/HINT]
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in