Retrofitting PAS to a CRX - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2015, 05:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Retrofitting PAS to a CRX

So, my wife might be using my CRX regularly now, so i am thinking to install power steering in my car.

Does any Honda that runs on D16A9 originally comes with PAS that I can plug and play into my CRX?

If not, what are the parts I need? And from which vehicle?And how difficult or easy to install?
I have read somewhere that I should get a steering rack from any 4 door civic with a D series engine? What about the power steering pump etc?

Pardon me as I just got my CRX last month.

Thanks!
hspeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 yabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Borat

Quote:
Does any Honda that runs on D16A9 originally comes with PAS
I believe concerto did, as well as EH9 which is a eg sedan basically )
I think though that you'll probably have hard times trying to fit it into engine bay
yabloko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Um, no. There were plenty of A8/A9 cars with PS. When I got my A8, it had a PS pump on it. It fits perfectly fine. You can take the PS from any D-series powered car with a manual transmission and it should simply bolt to the rack.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

What size and type are your tires? I can tell you that going from a race compound 205/50/15 to a AA traction 300 treadlife 195/50/15 made a HUGE difference in steering effort.

Does your wife really need PS? I mean heavier CRX SiRs came with B series engines and more accessories in Japan, and were driven by tiny japaneese people, and I am 99% sure none of them came with PS.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I ran 185/60/14 normal every day touring tires and my wife had no issues with it ever. Even after going to allseason rated performance tires at 195/55/15 she had no issues either. If you start having her dive it now and practice it will seem a lot less effort when she finally drives often, though if she is extraordinarily weak i guess power steering really is the only option.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 04:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

i am running on 195/50/R15 tyres at the moment.
My wife only has problem when she is reversing into our parking lot... and she has to dao that a few times a day... so yeah.. PAS will make her life a little easier..

however, i always thought that retrofitting a PAs system is more than a power steering pump/pulley. there are the reservoir, hydraulic pipes, belts etc..
so i was thinking it may not be a simple plug and play...

please correct me if i am wrong..

thanks
Old 09-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

It is the whole system, but there are all bolt in OEM parts for all of it.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 yabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Boratyabloko smells like Borat

Quote:
You can take the PS from any D-series powered car
I dont know if all obd0 ps pumps are the same but when I swapped d15z3 to d16z5 it turned out that pump mounts are different, pulley and belt are different (V for obd0 and vvvv for obd1), high pressure hose to pump is different, so OP can hardly fit a ps from ANY d-series
yabloko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2015, 05:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
use a rack from 90-93 integra. and power steering accessories such as pump and hoses from a 92-95 del sol with a d series motor
Quote:
-The OBD0 SOHC D-series use one type of bracket.
-The OBD0 88-89 Acura Integra have a completly different PS location, meaning differnet mounts.
-The OBD0 DOHC JDM ZC from the 90-91 CRX Si has yet another different PS mounting. It's location is simialar to the SOHC D

You will need the CRX Si ZC PS brackets in order to fit the PS pump like stock. Nothing else I've found will work. I believe the PS pumps between the CRX Si ZC and SOHC D are the same.
that's what i read somewhere...

there were not much information available, as most of the time when this question was asked the OP was told to "wear a skirt", "grow some muscles"... etc..
Old 10-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Yea, its pretty common. We want super soft and easy power steering and power brakes and then go to the gym to lift as much weight as we can.

Way to make sense america.

Just ask your wife if she would like her arms to look more like michelle obamas.... that might get her to stop asking about the PS....
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in