ZC overheating help!!!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Angry ZC overheating help!!!!

currently i have an '88 lx w/ dohc zc engine/auto tranny combo w/ '89 integra ecu (i also ran w/ 2 zc ecu's w/ the same results. 1st ecu is manual & 2nd ecu is auto but the torque lock up solenoid output is not working since i have code 19...that's why i bought the integ ecu). it also has a stainless header w/out any wrapping. the engine is running fine...the hot compression on all cylinders are 150+ psi. the head gasket has been changed a couple of weeks ago. i also put 100psi air into the cylinder & nothing came out of valves or head gasket. this is the 2nd engine since i thought my 1st zc was junk since it exhibited the same problem...
it'll idle all day long w/out any overheating. it's when i start driving on the highway @ 70-80mph for about 20-30mins, the coolant would overflow the overflow bottle w/ a new rad cap (rated for 13psi - so it says on the sticker on the cap). the radiator is about 2yrs old & the system has been flush a couple of times already. i'm running an external tranny cooler so i'm not putting heating into the cooling system. also the water pump is new when i installed the engine a couple of months ago. i've tried a few thermostats also. currently i'm using prestone 180* thermostat from murray's. it runs a bit cooler than the aftermarket & oem stock...i've been at this for the last 2 weeks so i've tried pretty much everything i can think of. i even went to lowes & bought a section of clear vinyl tubing & spliced it to the top hose to see if the pump is circulating & if there's a bunch of air in the system. ofcourse i'm disappointed since that doesn't seem to be the problem!!! i even went to the task of changing all the compression hose clamps to all screw type thinking maybe there's a small leak somewhere that can pull in air...i even by-pass the heat core to eliminate if there's a leak there.
i think the prestone & murray's folks love me since i buy coolant every week.

i'm currently thinking of buying a 2 core all metal csf radiator (i'm grasping at straws here).
i've just talked w/ my buddy about my plan. he suggested that maybe the engine is running lean which is kicking out more heat than normal. could this be the case (remember it's the same condition w/ a zc ecu)??? is there a way i can tell??
any feedback is appreciated...
red97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2005, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
dohcvteccivic

running lean would be easy to see on your plugs and detontion or pinging.

Hows your radiator fan?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2005, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

like i said, it runs pretty smooth...no detonation that i can feel....
the fans come on w/out a problem. i just ordered an all-metal 2 core radiator...hopefully it'll solve the problem. i'll also change the oxygen sensor.

Old 09-19-2005, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
hatched

ditch the thermostat compleatly and see if that helps.... otherwise it could be a bad head gasket...i had my gasket go bad and it put compression from the motor back into my radiator and made the radiator drain coolent by overflowing all the coolent into the overflow....
Old 09-19-2005, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 CivicY8 is learning the way of the DCivicY8 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

like they said. Check your thermostat, that usually can do it. It did on my y8 with the sc and i thought it was a head gasket.
CivicY8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

i also say check the thermostat. did you get one from honda or somewhere else? usually the aftermarket ones don't fit or work well, and they screw everything up. i bought one from pep boys, and all it did was overheat my car. i got one from honda, and it worked great.

also, see what the dual core rad. does for you. it may fix the problem as well.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
dohcvteccivic

My car was worse tis summer with no thermostat, it went through my rad too fast to even cool it. When you start it up and have it running do you get any bubbles in the coolant?
I dunno sounds like a very wierd problem. I hope your new radiator will fix it.

Any way you have some ground problems making the gauge read funny? I have had this problem before, reads normal temp then I used my blinker and it jumped way up. I dunno something tolook at I guess.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticchmbr
i also say check the thermostat. did you get one from honda or somewhere else? usually the aftermarket ones don't fit or work well, and they screw everything up. i bought one from pep boys, and all it did was overheat my car. i got one from honda, and it worked great.

also, see what the dual core rad. does for you. it may fix the problem as well.
i've gotten a honda thermostat & it didn't help since the temp was still too high...well the next step is the double core rad. i also got 160* jackson racing thermo...so wish me luck!!!!
Old 09-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

whoooo-hoooo!!! the new all metal, dual core csf radiator did the trick!!! she's running cool as a cucumber ...it's eerily cool on the highway. the temp needle is registering about 1/5th of the way which is probably about 160ish which make sense cause i have a 160* jr thermostat.
only thing i'm kinda scared of is the relative coolness since it's probably not good to be so low from normal oem operating temp. i'll probably throw back in the stock thermo or the 180* thermo...
another problem i ran into is the thickness of the radiator. i currently have a stainless header which is significantly deeper than the cast oem header. right now the ac fan is resting on the header when i tried to install it...even after i modified the radiator supports to move it forward appr. 1/4". so my options are to either pull the header & cut it down & reweld it to get more room back or else go with a thinner fan. the thinnest fan i can find is 2" which only give a clearance of only a 1/4" which aint much for keeping it cool & not melt the wiring, etc...
so if anyone has gotten any ideas...post them here please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in