My Zc Hates Me !! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2005, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 toxiclows is learning the way of the Dtoxiclows is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default My Zc Hates Me !!

Ok, I have a 88 dohc Zc engine in my stock car chassis. it is hooked to an auto it runs a pr4 computer..... i wired the mpfi myself.
Had a terrible time trying to get it to start when i first put it in.... turns out i had the orange and whites backwards on the dizzy. . . everynow and then when it was wired wrong it would start.... . i ran 2 races on it this way and the car ran great. . . .it just RIPPED !!! i would just drive up through the pack heading for the front. . . . . .well the starting problem kept getting to me as i was missing races from not having it run !!! I got the wiring problem fixed.. . . . i compared it to a zc plug and it is 100 percent right. . . it starts up perfect right now. . .

throws a code 4 ( crank angle ) but it did this with the old mini me 1.5 in there as well.... with a stock ecu in it it goes into limp in mode ( rev cut at 3500) but with the chipped prf that is in it its fine... well it runs good now or i should say starts good....it just does not run strong. . . i know how good it ran. . . and its just gutless. . . . fule filter is good cams and timing are dead on... the only funny thing is that with the old plug wires that were on there ( and even though they are old it ran great with these on before ) it would misfire at an idle and run like crap. . . if you pull a wire off there was little difference.... HERES THE KICKER if you put the wire just touching the plug not snap it down just kinda rest it on there it picks up and runs well. . . . .this will happen to different cylinders... it used to be 2 i changed the plugs to a new set and put new wires on there for a z6 and arent perfect but snap on well and they are NEW it seemed to be a little better and i was going to run it today i go out and start it up and its running rough agian.... pull number 3 and same thing. . . . .little change... . rest the plug wire on the tip and it smooths out... snap it on the way is should be and it misfires agian. . . . if i could hire someone to hang out under my hood and hold the wires i would be set.... i am thinking a dizzy will fix this junk. . . . i am getting really frustrated with this car. . .. i have so much time and money in it. . . . i dont even want to look at it. . . . .on the other hand. . . .i have so much time and money into it that I have to get it running and race it. . . .

thanks in advance..
toxiclows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 Volitech is learning the way of the DVolitech is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Have you tried swaping out the ignitor?
Volitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2005, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

OK If its thrwing the crank angle sensor then just replace it............

Same part as the 88-89 Integra........

Wierd enough Its on the Top of the head just like the distributor But on the Cam torwards the Front of the car

Simply go to the junkyard and replace....

2 bolts......

And one o ring that seals the oil in....Just reuse that ring and put a little hondabond arount the Port on the exterior of the head where it goes......

These fail alot.........

and thes WILL MAKE THE ZC RUN LIKE SHIT...... (First hand experience)
And Not starting Or barelly starting is common (First hand experience)

This isn't a SOHC and the crank angle sensor is hooked up a different way.........

If that doesn't work start to check wiring
Black Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2005, 06:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 toxiclows is learning the way of the Dtoxiclows is learning the way of the D

good advice.. I thought that that was the cam sensor and that there was another one for the crank in the dizzy.. . . not that i think of this it does seem silly.. .. . . ill give the sensor a shot . .and go from there.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

yeah ignitir has been replaced.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

yeah i am using the pr4 as a replacement that i bought for a pm6 yeah the stock computer goes into limp in as soon as i fire it up..... like you said the pr4 blinks the code the whole time its running but it revs good...
just does not pull like it once did.... its like someone is choking it back it wants to rev but under a load it just groans trying to rev but not actually actually pulling to 4 grand..

the code 4 that i am getting is that from the cam sensor on the end of the exh. cam??? is that the circut that i need to look into? those are the wires that i ran for the mpfi swap that the dx engine didnt have right...
the 2 extra ones that i ran.... i ran to the cam sensor the blue ones . . . i think blue yellow blue green if memory serves me right.. .
funny thing is that they say that if you get those 2 wires backwards then it will seriously retard the timing right. . . . funny here is that switching them one way or the other makes no difference..... in fact taking them both and unhooking makes no difference...

im going to have to look into that connection and make sure that i hooked them up to the proper ecu pins. . . . . . the car has a full aluminum dash and a full cage and the doors are welded shut so it makes playing under the dash pretty hard.....
thanks for the help so far..
Old 09-01-2005, 08:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ok I might be onto something here. . . .some one who photographed this might be able to help me out. . . .i looked in the helms manual and the numbers do not seem to line up with the numbers mentioned in the swap info's that i have read. . .
heres the lowdown..... . .on the mpfi swap.... just the dizzy part injector part is fine

cut c1 orange move to b10
cut c2 white move to b12
run blue green from c1 to cam sensor
run blue yellow c2 to cam sensor

I am not 100 percent sure that i have switched the c1 old into its new home at b10 and the c2 into its new home at b12

does anyone have a good understandable diagram or a photo of the b plug that would show me exactly where i should have put these..

mine are on the botton side of the plug ( opposite of the release clip) running side by side,,, incidentally there are 2 un used holes right above where i have mine pinned at....

mine

............##.....
............**...... * = my wires orange and white for b10 and b12
# = the 2 unused holes these are on the top by the clip to hold the plug in...

im wondering if it should be like this

.............**....
.............##....

or this
.............*#...
.............*#...

or this

............#*....
............#*.....

please advise if you can help.... . i hope all that crappy text are formatts right.. . . doubt it will if not ill draw a pic later. . . thanks in advance. . .
Chris
Old 09-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 Volitech is learning the way of the DVolitech is learning the way of the D

When I had a pr4 in my car it ran really rich! I picked up a pg7 and put that in and it ran way better and pulled harder! Than I put in a zdyne ecu and the car just came to life!!!!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Still have the pg7 want to sell or swap it.. . . let me know
Old 09-01-2005, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

sorry already sold it but you can find them pretty cheap on ebay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in