ZC/D16A1 with 4g63 valve springs - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 flat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default ZC/D16A1 with 4g63 valve springs

The springs I'm using are Brian Crower BC1100

They have a larger O.D. then the honda springs.
Stock
BC1100

There are three places that need clearanced on a majority of the valves and one spot on a couple of them.Vary little needs to be removed from these areas. Careful not too hit the collet on the cam journal. I used two carbide burrs, a 5/16 and a 3/8 and a flap wheel too smooth a little.I took a little too much off the first one.
I only have fifteen more to do. It took me twenty minutes to do the first one, the rest should go faster.

The BC1100 springs get installed at 1.5 inch, my stock springs are at 1.6 inch, so shims are required with them in a zc head.
flat_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 bake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunnabake82 is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

I think it's cool you've got another option for the DOHC ZC for springs, but is there any reason you're doing this? Both Supertech and Rocket Motorsports make single spring valve springs for the DOHC ZC that are affordable and work really well. It would have saved you alot of work!

But none the less,(and I'm not trying to be negative) I hope this works out as expected with good results
bake82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2015, 01:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Good work man, i love when people arnt afraid to build their engine.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

What are the installed and full lift spring pressures?

Coil bind limit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post

Coil bind limit?
I have the spec sheet, Ill dig it up and scan and post it monday
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

Did you use the DOHC ZC or 4G63 retainers? What about the spring seats?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Honda retainers...

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!

yes honda retainers, the mitsu will not work, the mitsu has a 6.6 valve stem and a honda has a 5.5mm
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 flat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanguy View Post
Good work man, i love when people arnt afraid to build their engine.
Thanks

Quote:

Coil bind limit?
BC 1100 Valve spring info
Spring Pressure:
BC1100 Seat:
Closed 1.550" @ 81 lbs /
Open: 1.000" @ 235 lbs /
Coil Bind: 0.935

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCHONDACRX91 View Post
Did you use the DOHC ZC or 4G63 retainers? What about the spring seats?
OEM ZC/D16A1 spring seats and retainers

Last edited by flat_; 03-21-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
yes honda retainers, the mitsu will not work, the mitsu has a 6.6 valve stem and a honda has a 5.5mm
Actually sohc D series are 5.5, Dohc d's are 6.5 https://www.d-series.org/forums/membe...cture19898.jpg
Old 03-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Yeah, I don't think the rocker pads are gonna last long and the coils might stack up.

Supertech's numbers converted to inches.

65 lbs @ 1.33"
135 lbs @ .937" (10mm valve lift, 7 lbs/mm spring rate)
Max lift .457"
Coil Bind .815"

So BogusSVO, simple 10mm valve lift puts the 4g63 springs into bind?

Part Number: SPRK-EC3027S-ZC
Type: Single Spring
Press.Seat: 65 @33.8
Press.Open: 135 @10 (mm, 23.8mm)
Max Lift: 11.60mm
Coil Bind: 20.70mm
Rate: 7.00
Retainer: RET-TS66/T1+ SEAT-TS/MA18-I

Quote:
Old 03-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think the rocker pads are gonna last long and the coils might stack up.

65 lbs @ 1.33"
Max lift .457"
Coil Bind .815"

I think I see why you think the springs will bind.

Supertech springs require a spring seat spacer, giving them a install height of 1.33 inches.

The factory installed height in my head is 1.6 inches. I assume after the three angle valve job that my install height will increase slightly. The increase in height may benefit the rocker pads.

I wonder what the bc1100 springs measure at 1.6 and 1.2
Maybe bogus can do some independent testing

Last edited by flat_; 03-21-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

I wonder if those seats are needed to prevent wear on the alum. head casting....and if so maybe they can be thinned to get need room for spring.

Quote:
Old 03-22-2015, 03:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!

I think the op messed up his picture captions.
It looks like he says the stock one is the one with 6 coils(on the right), and the 4g63 has 8 coils (on the left),

but thats not the case, the 4g63 spring has 6 coils and the oem has 8, they are the same height,

if the oem spring didnt bind with a stock cam, the 4g63 isnt going to with even more agressive cams if they are installed at the same height,

also if you look at 4g63 cams lift and their installed height there should be no issues in a dseries head

and the bottom retainer will stop the aluminum from being beat out, they arnt going to be that stiff, and how would the 4g63 head hold up?if instaled at same seat pressure? they have higher lift cams the our dseries and they rev to 8400 and make 600whp all the time.

i dount this will be a huge camed 8400 rpm motor,
also coil bind is at like 20mm, max lift isnt where it binds

unless the op is running some radical cams in that head he will be fine, and function as it should.

also bogus, i seen some of your other posts on some dsm forums, one from 2009 talking about different valve springs you compaired, good work on spreading the knowledge
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/4g6...g-info.341209/

Last edited by Evanguy; 03-22-2015 at 04:21 AM.
Evanguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat_ View Post
BC 1100 Valve spring info
Spring Pressure:
BC1100 Seat:
Closed 1.550" @ 81 lbs /
Open: 1.000" @ 235 lbs /
Coil Bind: 0.935
Quote:

65 lbs @ 1.33"
Max lift .457"
Coil Bind .815"

ST likes to use a short spring, so a majority of there spring kits come with spacers just to get them back to the factory installed height.

That spacer has nothing to do with wear in the aluminum head casting.

Trans, How did you come up with that the BC springs will hit coil bind at 10mm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat_ View Post
I think I see why you think the springs will bind.

Supertech springs require a spring seat spacer, giving them a install height of 1.33 inches.

The factory installed height in my head is 1.6 inches. I assume after the three angle valve job that my install height will increase slightly. The increase in height may benefit the rocker pads.

I wonder what the bc1100 springs measure at 1.6 and 1.2
Maybe bogus can do some independent testing
yes you have added a bit more to the spring installed height from the valve seats being cut.

IIRC the BC spring should be about 65 lbs at 1.575.

I have a few sets on the shelf, Ill make a check at 1.600 and 1.200

Quote:
I wonder if those seats are needed to prevent wear on the alum. head casting....and if so maybe they can be thinned to get need room for spring.
Nope they spring seats are that thick to take up space so the short ST springs will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanguy View Post
I think the op messed up his picture captions.
It looks like he says the stock one is the one with 6 coils(on the right), and the 4g63 has 8 coils (on the left),

but thats not the case, the 4g63 spring has 6 coils and the oem has 8, they are the same height,

if the oem spring didnt bind with a stock cam, the 4g63 isnt going to with even more agressive cams if they are installed at the same height,

also if you look at 4g63 cams lift and their installed height there should be no issues in a dseries head

and the bottom retainer will stop the aluminum from being beat out, they arnt going to be that stiff, and how would the 4g63 head hold up?if instaled at same seat pressure? they have higher lift cams the our dseries and they rev to 8400 and make 600whp all the time.

i dount this will be a huge camed 8400 rpm motor,
also coil bind is at like 20mm, max lift isnt where it binds

unless the op is running some radical cams in that head he will be fine, and function as it should.

also bogus, i seen some of your other posts on some dsm forums, one from 2009 talking about different valve springs you compaired, good work on spreading the knowledge
4G63T Valve spring Info | DSMtuners
Old 03-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

The BC springs (1.50") installed at ST rated height (1.33") open valve 10mm/.394" = stacked.

Yes, I do love the idea of using parts across platforms, just don't wanna see anything damaged.

Quote:
Old 03-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

But hes installing them at 1.5", like they should be, why install them to the st specs? They are a longer spring that doesnt require a shim like the st's do.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Quote:
The BC springs (1.50") installed at ST rated height (1.33") open valve 10mm/.394" = stacked.

Yes, I do love the idea of using parts across platforms, just don't wanna see anything damaged.
The factory installed height is 1.600

The ST install at 1.330 + .250 spacer =1.580

BC install at 1.500 or 1.550
Old 03-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
The factory installed height is 1.600

The ST install at 1.330 + .250 spacer =1.580

BC install at 1.500 or 1.550
The spacer info was provided, hence the confusion.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Really stiff for no real reason. The spring pressures on the Rocket springs are far, far superior to the ST and these BC units, but . . .

Show me how the stock springs are not up to the task of any cam you can foreseeably run in the engine. Stock springs have held up to nearly 12mm lift cams for hundreds of passes on the drag strip and for tens of thousands of miles on the road. The stock pieces are extremely good from the factory. Anecdotal evidence from several sources I trust show very little reason to use anything as long as the stock springs check out to spec.

I would only run the Rocket springs if I was not using OEM.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in