ZC Help ==> Possible Mugen Build - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default ZC Help ==> Possible Mugen Build

Hey all
Just what some advice on ZC engines, some Mugen gear has come up for sale, cams, ECU & 10.5:1 pistons. The thing is they're for brown/gold top ZC's, I've got a black top, is it worth my while getting the stuff & making a hybrid engine from the bits. A few guys here in New Zealand reckon you can do stuff like put brown top heads on black top blocks etc. Anyone had any experience doin this sort of thing? I'm pretty keen to build an old skooler, would eat most B16A's, the cams are @280 duration, the guy thats selling them was making @180 hp, without the pistons
nzcivicracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2005, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough

You would have more benifit with keeping the Blacktop.........

The only differences is the dizzy and intake manifold....everything else is the same......

Those mugen Pistons are an big bore btw....not a direct swap you need to do some machine work.......heard very good things however.........

The cams will fit and work in any DOHC D-series Motor...(ZC)

The ECU is pointless and brown top head is pointless....
Unless your are running a NZ 84-86 Civic/crx oR a NZ G1 teg.......
Then if you use a brown top it make wiring a snap........

otherwise stay with the black top.....The performance is much better......

As for the block........
The browntop and black top are completelly identical.....

You just need to make the motor mounts For your car unless stock mounts will work......

What, Make, Model and year is your car?
Black Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Black Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enoughBlack Mountain will become famous soon enough

QUICK EDIT..........

The reason why I said the ECU was pointless is because If you go with the blacktop head..........

If you go with a browntop.....It could be very benifical......

People are making blacktop mugen ECU's Now......(NOT THAT EBAY BULLSHIT)

One is a member of G1teg.org.....He works for "HONDATA" so the man knows his shit
Black Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2005, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
This one's for you, Duck.

Rep Power: 27 Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via MSN to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother Send a message via Yahoo to Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother

indeed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Add yourself to the D-Series map!!
Fooshitinkinjssomethingorother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2005, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've got a 1989 Civic Si (EF3) so its already got a black top ZC (ex Japan). I blew the original motor which is now in bits (busted piston & no big end!) so was planning to rebuild with these bits.
So you reckon the cams will be sweet? Why wont the ECU work? different looms/wiring? I've got a copy Mugen chip for my PM7 ECU but havent tried that yet, plus these parts are very hard to source here. If the Mugen pistons dont fit I was going to get some Nippon Racing onces, a guy here gets them from the States.
If its all too hard I'm going to get a B16, theres a B16B for sale at the moment for not much more than the Mugen gear (minus gearbox though) so I'm kinda weighing up my options, basically want to know if its worth pursuing with the ZC
Old 09-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Checked out the gear on Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1tegZC
Those mugen Pistons are an big bore btw....not a direct swap you need to do some machine work.......heard very good things however.........
Measured the pistons, they were the same size, just different design as I think the brown & black top compression chambers are different designs.
They are for Group A & were imported in Australia, he brought them from OZ, still brand new unused.
Might have to sell these as they wont fit the black top, have been offered some Nippon Racing pistons & Rings, anyone heard good/bad things about these

Quote:
The cams will fit and work in any DOHC D-series Motor...(ZC)
Yeah the cams were the same (aside from lobe profiles) I measured 1mm extra lift on the Mugen items, going to send them to a cam shop this weekend to get specs & see if dings can be machined out, they're a little rough. Black top cam gear fitted & distributor connection looked same.

Quote:
The ECU is pointless and brown top head is pointless....
Unless your are running a NZ 84-86 Civic/crx oR a NZ G1 teg.......
Then if you use a brown top it make wiring a snap........
The computer is a genuine Mugen Racing item (black housing), connectors appeared to be same but will check AT & EF wiring looms.
The cams & computer are rated for 200hp.
Why would the ECU be pointless on a black top? You cant buy these anymore & I would have thought it would be a lot better than a Mugen chipped ECU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in