Help with D16A1 engine - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Help with D16A1 engine

Hello,
Recently, I acquired a D16A1 engine that I think is new old stock. A brief search indicates the engine came out of US Integra's 1987 model. From all indications the engine has never been installed, however it does have a few scratches from being moved around. The fellow I acquired it from said he got it from an individual whom frequently purchased lots of "goodies" from various Honda dealerships.

I have a 86 Civic Si Hatchback. From what little research I have done, all indications are that this engine will drop right in. Will the transmission bolt up or do I need an Integra transmission and ECU? Will the current axles work? What else do I need to make this install possible?

I have never done an engine swap, however I am really keen to do one. Any pointers or information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Here are the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D16A1 #8.JPG
Views:	2922
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	79233   Click image for larger version

Name:	D16A1 #9.JPG
Views:	965
Size:	478.2 KB
ID:	79241   Click image for larger version

Name:	D16A1 #10.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	79249   Click image for larger version

Name:	D16A1 #16.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	79257   Click image for larger version

Name:	D16A1 #22.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	79265  

esoteric junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Default additional photos

Here are a few additional photos.

From what I have found this is the US version of the ZC engine and it has 113hp. Is this information correct? How desirable is this engine?

EJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D16A1 #31.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	461.1 KB
ID:	79273   Click image for larger version

Name:	D16A1 #19.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	488.0 KB
ID:	79281   Click image for larger version

Name:	D16A1 #24.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	79289   Click image for larger version

Name:	D16A1 #30.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	79297  
esoteric junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

There should be some good stuff in the DIY forum (check the sticky posts also).

There are a few random bits here and there if you haven't search already.

Motor looks tidy for sure! I don't know a lot since I don't deal directly with them (but you're in the right section) and AFAIK for sure, that these DOHC ZC's also came in RTSi AWD 4dr Egs (95-92) which makes some obd1... Unless you are going AWD, the transmissions should bolt up if I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I am wrong).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...

Last edited by Mr.Fodo; 12-29-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 06:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Head to redpepperracing.com.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Love to see old motors in pristine condition.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's wild to find that. How do the seals look? I don't know if id throw that motor in after sitting that long without going thru it first.
ek9_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 arny213 is learning the way of the Darny213 is learning the way of the D

I can walk you through the entire swap if you want but this has been done numerous times. I'd look on redpepperracing.com they have plenty of write-ups and stickies on the subject. but good looking 1st gen motor. that was my first build. the rods in that motor are the strongest of all the d series motors. the only downside to that motor is it is harder to get to obd-1 with all the vacuum stuff. but good looking motor. I'd just soak the cylinders with some sea foam and fire it up. you will need the integra transmission, axles, hubs, and brakes of course, get the shift linkage too, run the integra ecu for better performance or the si ecu will work too. there will be about 6 wires that will need repined if you use the integra engine harness. you have an engine out of an automatic, I don't think they have egr. but you will need a flywheel and a clutch. there are lots of other things as well but its very straight forward should be a no brainer.

Quote:
Posted by KUNGFUHUSTLER
Holy isht man! You pulled this off faster then a $20 bill in a titty bar! big props to you!

Re:ive been running the everliving *** out of this thing ALOT. beat 3 bikes in the past 2 days alone. probably nearing over 50 hwy pulls lol..still holding up awesome! its a wierd feeling because im use to having to replace the tranny by now. CG ftmfw!
---------
93 civic hatch d16 street car [email protected]
arny213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in