ZC block, wrong head - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction DOHC ZC

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Default ZC block, wrong head

hey guys, im new here but i had a question that im sure yall can help out with. my cousin just bought an 88 cr-x Si. when i go to look under the hood, i see ZC on the block instead of d16XX, but with a SOHC head. i know those are supposed to be Dohc, right? is there a way to know what head it actually is? and why would someone do this? im lost to why its like that but any help,info or opinions are welcomed. thanks.
clubEF9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 15 staticchmbr is learning the way of the Dstaticchmbr is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

they make sohc zc, and dohc zc's. either that or whoever had it before machined a sohc head to fit a dohc block.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

o ok. see, i didnt kow they made sohc zc's. that explains that. do you or anyone happen to know any specs on it? like what car its from and stuff like that?

Old 08-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 EJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1All-Star Send a message via MSN to EJ1All-Star

its pretty much the exact replacement for a d16a6, i think the cam profile is different thats about it. oh oh and jdm
EJ1All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 Apex001 will become famous soon enoughApex001 will become famous soon enoughApex001 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

The sohc ZC as mentioned above is basically the same engine as the d16a6, a-la JDM. Cam profile is different but thats about it, plus you get to sport the ZC badge on the block. hehehe
Apex001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2005, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series Destruction Master

Rep Power: 36 f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f00ker Send a message via MSN to f00ker Send a message via Yahoo to f00ker

same as d16a6 (stock SI), but the exhaust lobes on the cam are a tad more aggressive, but not 10hp worth, which everyone claims.

f00ker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

i have a sohc zc cam and a sohc a6 cam in my garage and the zc is visibly more aggressive than the a6 both intake and exhaust.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

depends which sohc zc you have. there are 2 main ones, but total there are way more than that. I.E. - vtec, non vtec, carbed, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 Apex001 will become famous soon enoughApex001 will become famous soon enoughApex001 will become famous soon enough

I was lucky enough to have got a carbed one which was cool since the valve springs are stiffer than the FI one. I used a webcam on that head with a y8 mani and that bad boy was niiiiice.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Synth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex001
I was lucky enough to have got a carbed one which was cool since the valve springs are stiffer than the FI one. I used a webcam on that head with a y8 mani and that bad boy was niiiiice.

Nice...off topic but totally funny, since I'm tired. You avitar's dancing bear was dancing to the beat of my music.
Synth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

awe yeah the dancing bear prevails again.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

thanks for all the info. yeah it cool when people see the zc on the block. lol. so where can i find upgrades for this motor or what parts off another will fit this? things like, cam,cam gear, pistons, and clutch. thanks for all the help. awesome site
Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 36 f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to f00ker Send a message via MSN to f00ker Send a message via Yahoo to f00ker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubEF9
thanks for all the info. yeah it cool when people see the zc on the block. lol. so where can i find upgrades for this motor or what parts off another will fit this? things like, cam,cam gear, pistons, and clutch. thanks for all the help. awesome site
anything d16a6 will bolt on directly, then there's the good ol' mix and match of all d-series parts

Old 08-17-2005, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
adam38654

I have 2 blown single cam zc blocks and 1 40,000 mile one coming. I thought the compression was a little higher on these pistons also?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2005, 09:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
adam38654

I have 2 blown single cam zc blocks and 1 40,000 mile one coming. I thought the compression was a little higher on these pistons also?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

adam, the sohc zc has the same bottom end as the a6, you're thinking of the dohc zc pistons

Old 08-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic90ex
adam, the sohc zc has the same bottom end as the a6, you're thinking of the dohc zc pistons
and same head. therefore...exact same c/r

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cleriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticchmbr
they make sohc zc, and dohc zc's. either that or whoever had it before machined a sohc head to fit a dohc block.
This is true, I am from Trinidad and all our motors are JDM and there are tonnes of SOHC ZC around.
We even have DOHC D16A's!

I put up a post about matting a D15B head to a DOHC D16A block, I think you just answered my question.

Honda is having a blast with these engine codes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in